Thread: Galileo visited

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France

Galileo visited

Thanks to a nearby conference i was able to visit Florence and the recently rehoused Galileo museum. Free and with no queues as opposed to the long lines for the art museums, it is magnificent with the Medici collection of scientific instruments. Ten years before his telescope the Earth centred cosmos was visulaised as a machine like this
    4392671B-0C0C-406B-9AFA-099F4FB6A283.jpg
    His actual telscopes are there
    4BAC51D7-A4D2-4438-A422-8FCEA521BBA5.jpg
    But while the observations of the moons of jupiter were painstaking and brilliant, for me the genius is his parallax engine which in effect was the proof that the Earth orbits the sun.
    A1A45283-0AF5-4233-81E3-A30EC31565DD.jpeg
    That instrument uses the moving Earth to model the observed jupiter moons, what an intellectual triumph!
    His many orher inventions are represeted there too, worth a pilgrimage.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

I visited the old museum when I was in Florence some years ago. This is the telescopes then. I actually got a little emotional seeing them.

The weirdest thing was they had a preserved finger in a jar, that was supposedly one of Galileo's, kind of how you will see fingers and other parts of the various saints in Italian churches.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Wow, Profloater, that's amazing! I'm extremely jealous.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Yes i saw the finger (and thumb) which allowing some licence, showed he had big hands! There are so many original science instruments there that i was quite taken aback. It is so easy to follow the line of thought that he, not just him of course, but that he put together the evidence for our modern view, that i think we lose the magnitude of the inlellectual leap. Opposing all the considerable wealth of previous opinion as represented by that mechanism as well as doctrine. Of course he was forced to recant, why die for dogma?, but his writings are preserved. He showed that Copernicus was right and paved the way for Newton.

There is also his original military compass calculator which is in effect a slide rule, used for predicting parabolas of cannon balls but can calculate square and cubic roots among other things. His inclined plane and so on. Inspiring place to visit with nice museum attached , the Uffitsi, where that guy who defied his father to become a humble stone cutter, is also venerated, MichelAngelo i think he was.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.

Actually i must correct myself, it was a few Euros to get in, but boy, it was worth it!
    sicut vis videre esto

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    Thanks to a nearby conference i was able to visit Florence and the...Galileo museum
    Wow, that had to be great!

But while the observations of the moons of jupiter were painstaking and brilliant, for me the genius is his parallax engine which in effect was the proof that the Earth orbits the sun.
    Huh? Tycho’s work was highly motivated in disproving Ptolemy with finding the diurnal parallax of Mars, and at one point he thought he did, but Mars is a little too far at opposition to do so.

Did the museum state or suggest he “proved” any theory?

What is his parallax engine?

A1A45283-0AF5-4233-81E3-A30EC31565DD.jpeg
    That instrument uses the moving Earth to model the observed jupiter moons, what an intellectual triumph!
    Remarkable! Did they have the head gear that could be used on ships to view Jupiter’s moons? He almost made some big bucks with that one.
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.

But Tycho did not embrace Copernicus, I believe, he died still having an Earth centred cosmos, however i do not understand your comment about parallax., it was the variations in the observations through the year that allowed G to demonstrate the heliocentric model.
    sicut vis videre esto

But Tycho did not embrace Copernicus, I believe, he died still having an Earth centred cosmos,
    Yes. Showing Mars comes closer than the Sun would falsify Ptolemy, thus allowing his Tychonic model, or Cops, to gain favor.

...however i do not understand your comment about parallax., it was the variations in the observations through the year that allowed G to demonstrate the heliocentric model.
    G. falsified Ptolmey with his scope showing Venus phases. The Church agreed and adopted Tycho’s. G. argued, brilliantly but erroneously, the tides to “prove” Cop’s model.

I’m curious about how he used parallax, but I’m guessing he simply advanced, with a telescope, Tycho’s diurnal parallax efforts of Mars at opposition. This still only disproves Ptolemy. Galileo, wisely, seems to never acknowledge Tycho’s model even after the Church adopted it, but I could be wrong since I can’t see how he could ignore it.
    Last edited by George; 2018-Oct-13 at 10:23 PM.

If i understand, he discovered jupiters moons andwatched them for a few years noticing periodic changes that he correctly attributed to the effect of Earth orbit, since if earth centred the moons would be seen to be exactly periodic. My photo of the engine does not show the detail of the larger dial which shows the moons. By rotating the lever around the smaller earth wheel you introduce the parallax of earth orbit to see then the moons will appear to pass centre , and the results match the telscope observations. The prevailing view as shown by the clockwork would have secondary wheels for each moon to explain the moon orbit variations which would happen to coincide with the sun orbit in the earth centred model. The main logic for Galileo was thus based on the elegant simplicity of the sun centred model to explain observations. So i guess old school could argue that complexity is not ruled out in the divine plan. Wheels within wheels.
    sicut vis videre esto

If i understand, he discovered jupiters moons andwatched them for a few years noticing periodic changes that he correctly attributed to the effect of Earth orbit, since if earth centred the moons would be seen to be exactly periodic. My photo of the engine does not show the detail of the larger dial which shows the moons. By rotating the lever around the smaller earth wheel you introduce the parallax of earth orbit to see then the moons will appear to pass centre , and the results match the telscope observations. The prevailing view as shown by the clockwork would have secondary wheels for each moon to explain the moon orbit variations which would happen to coincide with the sun orbit in the earth centred model. The main logic for Galileo was thus based on the elegant simplicity of the sun centred model to explain observations. So i guess old school could argue that complexity is not ruled out in the divine plan. Wheels within wheels.
    Nice explanation, thanks. I now recall some of that but had no idea he made a mechanical version. Impressive! I wonder how close he came to discovering light’s speed as Roemer did using those moons?