Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Super-Earth civilization

Quote Originally Posted by eburacum45 View Post
    Although (as a worldbuilder myself) I admire Chris Wayan's planets and attention to detail (those planets are all modelled in 3D, using plaster and paint), I find the descriptions of the societies on those worlds somewhat embarrassing. Sure, there might be a few planets that are hedonistic paradises with loose morals, but surely not all of them?
    in the old Japan the japanese were very fearless people and they simply committed infanticide of unwanted babies... in south pacific they did not do that but they lived STARVING on overopulated small islands...

Although (as a worldbuilder myself) I admire Chris Wayan's planets and attention to detail (those planets are all modelled in 3D, using plaster and paint), I find the descriptions of the societies on those worlds somewhat embarrassing. Sure, there might be a few planets that are hedonistic paradises with loose morals, but surely not all of them?
    for this reason, Albania (poor neighboring country with strict sex moralilty for women) is NOT a popular touristic destination for teen male europeans and we dream to go anywhere else: Thailand, Brazil, somebody Kenya etc...

Last edited by Barabino; 2019-Jul-25 at 09:55 AM.

concerning worldbuilding

I remember an unusual world-building site: the exo-animals were described 100% seriously and drawn professionally , but they were undoubtably erect penis-shaped :flash: and also their latin names were allusive to it... I'm pretty sure I've seen it for real - it's not a twisted fantasy of mine... do you remember it too?

Quote Originally Posted by Barabino View Post
    for this reason, Albania (poor neighboring country with strict sex moralilty for women) is NOT a popular touristic destination for teen male europeans
    Hmm. I've been to Albania. It'll be nice when they finish it.

Quote Originally Posted by Barabino View Post
    concerning worldbuilding

I remember an unusual world-building site: the exo-animals were described 100% seriously and drawn professionally , but they were undoubtably erect penis-shaped :flash: and also their latin names were allusive to it... I'm pretty sure I've seen it for real - it's not a twisted fantasy of mine... do you remember it too?
    Oh, yes - that is Snaiad. Actually I have a lot of respect for the speculative biology in the Snaiad project.
    https://www.deviantart.com/nemo-ramj...naiad-47017753

The artist, Nemo Ramjet, has designed a vast array of credible-seeming animals to live on this world; only some of them use adapted genitals as limbs, but the reasoning behind these evolutionary developments seem sound enough.
    I would expect limb-like structures to evolve in a large number of different ways throughout the cosmos- sometimes evolving from tentacles, sometimes evolving from tusks, teeth or other mouthparts, scales, or protective spines. Appendages that evolve from reproductive organs don't seem too far from the realm of possibility.

I'm not sure what you mean, and this might be a language thing. It'll be nice when they finish Albania? What does that mean?
    As above, so below

Seems like a good time to abandon this thread. Alas.

hm-hm: especially older generations took pride in NOT working at all and pretending to be clever merchants who buy in china for cents and sell in europe for euros...

my generation (I knew one as a neighbor) simply wanders by night stealing whatever they find: bricks, brass faucets, iron scraps...

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean, and this might be a language thing. It'll be nice when they finish Albania? What does that mean?
    he was joking: it could be a nice country (unlike many dry muslim countries, it has plenty of water and it's NOT plagued with war) but they don't like to work: buildings, bridges etc. are left unfinished and can't be used... in short they are the evil small brothers of Turks
    Last edited by Barabino; 2019-Jul-26 at 08:28 AM.

I should have been more specific when I said that. The parts of Albania I went to were basically a big building site. They seem to be gearing to a future tourist boom that may never happen, but for the sake of their economy, I hope it does.

Also interesting were the thousands of tiny concrete pillboxes, built by Enver Hoxha to defend against invasion by the rest of the world- an invasion that never took place.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bunkers_in_Albania
    Last edited by eburacum45; 2019-Jul-26 at 07:05 AM.

on the contrary, in early '90s everybody rushed here to italy by inflatable boats to raise some money (to their merit, I admit that they could already speak italian)... in practice the country lost 60% of its population... adult girls just "worked" on the road (there are always some clients who don't prefer West Africa "chocolate" )...

Man, would those ever be good storm shelters in a tornado-prone state like mine.

I should have been more specific when I said that. The parts of Albania I went to were basically a big building site. They seem to be gearing to a future tourist boom that may never happen, but for the sake of their economy, I hope it does.

Also interesting were the thousands of tiny concrete pillboxes, built by Enver Hoxha to defend against invasion by the rest of the world- an invasion that never took place.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bunkers_in_Albania

yes, in 20th-century Albania the gov't feared to be invaded from either sides (from soviet bloc or from western bloc - and from lone rider Tito's Yugoslavia as well )

obviously bunkers are useless against real world tanks : but the aim of Hoxha regime was only internal propaganda: just making populace live in terror... a lookalike of present N.Korea )
    Last edited by Barabino; 2019-Jul-27 at 04:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post
    Man, would those ever be good storm shelters in a tornado-prone state like mine.
    you can barely breath inside them

100% error-free rules do exist... but they are obvious and we don't philosophize about them...

for example: hidden object still continue to exsist...

most of the times, if we lose a mobile, we manage to find it again by making it to ring...

Last edited by Barabino; 2019-Jul-28 at 06:56 AM.

I thought it was the smallest starfleet bridge for a moment.