Thread: Like electric eels in reverse

Like electric eels in reverse

Living things generate bio-electricity, but is there any known life that feeds on or absorbs electrical energy directly? If so, how does that work?
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Yes, there are. Actually, here is a link to an article that a colleague of mine wrote about one, which uses electricity directly when there is no iron available. They are bacteria that live near things called black smokers at the bottom of the ocean. The smokers emit ions so there is an electrical gradient as you move away from the smoker. And the microbes use that gradient as a source of energy.
    As above, so below

Excellent! Thank you, Jens.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Yes, there are. Actually, here is a link to an article that a colleague of mine wrote about one, which uses electricity directly
    Neat. It's like the cytochrome electron transport chain, but without the mess.
    Couple questions:
    Is the electrode coated with say nickel nanofibers, so as to support a reasonable number of bacteria?
    Is electron quantum tunneling involved as in the cytochrome c, cytochrome c oxidase reaction?