Thread: Disease rash location

Disease rash location

What decides the placement of disease rashes or blemishes in smallpox, chicken pox, measles, etc.? Why are they at one point as opposed to two millimeters to the right? Is it the location of a nerve, blood vessel, lymph node, or what?
    SHARKS (crossed out) MONGEESE (sic) WITH FRICKIN' LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

Blood vessels, I believe, rising from the deeper layers. These morbilliform rashes are associated with perivascular collections of inflammatory cells. But I'd guess there's a sort of self-organization involved too, like convection cells in a heated pan, except in reverse. Once you get a little patch of inflammation, white cells in the surrounding area will migrate towards it.
    There are other influences. The rash of chickenpox is primarily on the trunk (centripetal), whereas the rash of smallpox was primarily on the limbs and face (centrifugal). That was said to be due to particular temperature preferences of the viruses, but I don't know how true that is.

Grant Hutchison

Shingles hits the nerve endings, so I'd expect chicken pox, the same virus, to do the same. Off to Wikipedia!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Shingles hits the nerve endings, so I'd expect chicken pox, the same virus, to do the same. Off to Wikipedia!
    Chickenpox is a systemic infection that washes around your body like any other virus. But the chickenpox virus can persist in dorsal root (spinal) or cranial nerve ganglia. If and when they reactivate, they spread to the skin area supplied by that nerve, causing shingles. So it's this odd anatomical refuge that creates the nerve distribution for shingles, but not for the original chickenpox infection.

Grant Hutchison

Thanks, Grant! My wiki searching didn't make it very clear to me.

Oh, and were you ever taken to a Chicken Pox Party? I was! Timed so as to have me not miss any school. Thanks, Mom, for the Shingles outbreak on my face!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.