Thread: Tics

Tics

What causes the tiny twitch in my upper left arm? It is amazing how annoying such a minuscule thing is!
    SHARKS (crossed out) MONGEESE (sic) WITH FRICKIN' LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

What you describe is a fasciculation (the spontaneous contraction of part of a muscle) rather than a tic (an involuntary movement of an entire muscle or muscle group).
    Lots of reasons - a small local injury or irritation being by far the most common. Vigorous exercise, drugs (particular stimulants, including coffee and nicotine), anxiety, electrolyte imbalances (including dehydration), neurological diseases. Roughly in that order, I think, but that's just on the basis of thinking about the prevalence of the various things I mentioned.

Grant Hutchison

Grant, you are a treasure. No matter what time of the day or night I post, you always come up with the answer within minutes. You must have a nanotech cerebral implant and monitor the site without eating or sleeping...that's all I can figure :-)
    SHARKS (crossed out) MONGEESE (sic) WITH FRICKIN' LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    What you describe is a fasciculation (the spontaneous contraction of part of a muscle) rather than a tic (an involuntary movement of an entire muscle or muscle group).
    Lots of reasons - a small local injury or irritation being by far the most common. Vigorous exercise, drugs (particular stimulants, including coffee and nicotine), anxiety, electrolyte imbalances (including dehydration), neurological diseases. Roughly in that order, I think, but that's just on the basis of thinking about the prevalence of the various things I mentioned.

Grant Hutchison
    It's good to have a doctor in house.

Just reading back a list I memorized forty years ago. Head's full of them.
    Used to be, we turned out doctors with heads full of facts and no communication skills. Now the junior docs are absolutely fabulous at breaking bad news, but seem not to know a single damn thing in the absence of an internet connection.

When I retired, one of my younger consultant colleagues confessed that he'd once said to me, during his training and in the heat of some rolling clinical disaster we were dealing with, "Would you like me to Google anything for you, Dr Hutchison?" (We were way beyond his experience level and he was helpfully casting about for some drudge work he could do to take the load off me.)
    When he made this confession, I assured him I had no recollection of the episode (I didn't). "So what did I say?" I asked, genuinely curious.
    "You didn't say anything," he replied. "You just looked at me over the top of your spectacles. A bit like you're doing now. And it's actually still quite frightening."
    At which point various other people I had helped train chimed in with, "Oh, yes. The thing with the look over the spectacles. That was the worst."
    First I knew of it.

Grant Hutchison

At which point various other people I had helped train chimed in with, "Oh, yes. The thing with the look over the spectacles. That was the worst."
    I used this on my kid once.
    Fortunately, he did not realize that I'm actually near-sighted.

"Yes, I'm looking at you. Or at least in the general direction of the blob that I think is you."

Presbyopic half glasses in my case. I look at everything farther away than two metres over the top of my glasses - that's what they're for.

Grant Hutchison

I had a friend with an actual tic in high school. About every 15 seconds one shoulder would have a major jerk. Except: He was in the drama club. He didn't tic when onstage. Never had the nerve to ask him about it.
    In our senior year, he wound up with the only key to the prop room. He and his girlfriend would spend every lunch time in there. I never asked if his tic was active then, either.

I get the things Tom M is asking about sometimes. It's quite annoying.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I had a friend with an actual tic in high school. About every 15 seconds one shoulder would have a major jerk. Except: He was in the drama club. He didn't tic when onstage. Never had the nerve to ask him about it.
    Iím kind of surprised that you seem to be surprised to have known someone with a tic. I know lots of people, including myself, who have or have had tics. Wikipedia says that itís about one person in five, which seems pretty reasonable. And your friendís experience makes sense. It not impossible to not take the action, but itís very hard to and something like being on stage can create the extra willpower or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    I’m kind of surprised that you seem to be surprised to have known someone with a tic. I know lots of people, including myself, who have or have had tics. Wikipedia says that it’s about one person in five, which seems pretty reasonable. And your friend’s experience makes sense. It not impossible to not take the action, but it’s very hard to and something like being on stage can create the extra willpower or something.
    I don't think I know anybody with a noticeable tic. I have occasionally seen people out and about, though.

Your description sounds similar to a description of having Tourette's (not sure if that is at all related) I read where they said you could resist for so long but the pressure built up until you had to let it out. It might have been in The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat.

We had a Prime Minister in the UK with a fairly evident tic.
    Tics being "calmed" during some activities is fairly common - it varies from person to person.

Grant Hutchison

We had a Prime Minister in the UK with a fairly evident tic.
    I guess I'm just not very observant, then!

Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    I guess I'm just not very observant, then!
    Defiant Brown vows that "facial tic is here to stay."
    (Note: Newsifact reports neither news nor fact, as far as I can make out, but the tic is real.)

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2018-Nov-04 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    I’m kind of surprised that you seem to be surprised to have known someone with a tic. I know lots of people, including myself, who have or have had tics. Wikipedia says that it’s about one person in five, which seems pretty reasonable. And your friend’s experience makes sense. It not impossible to not take the action, but it’s very hard to and something like being on stage can create the extra willpower or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Depends on the size of the tic, I guess. This guy was extremely noticeable. His shoulder would move several inches.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.