Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: Lion Air Flight 610 Crash

I wonder how many people would actually be willing to rid on one of those planes though. I would definitely avoid a flight on a 737 Max.
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    I wonder how many people would actually be willing to rid on one of those planes though. I would definitely avoid a flight on a 737 Max.
    I have no idea about others, but I wouldn’t mind flying on one once they go back into service, as I expect they have been tested more than most planes by now. However, I wouldn’t want to sit next to someone until COVID-19 was beaten down and/or I had been vaccinated with a vaccine shown to be highly effective.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    I have no idea about others, but I wouldn’t mind flying on one once they go back into service, as I expect they have been tested more than most planes by now. However, I wouldn’t want to sit next to someone until COVID-19 was beaten down and/or I had been vaccinated with a vaccine shown to be highly effective.
    Exactly my feelings.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I've long suspected that most travelers, most of the time, are unaware of what type of aircraft they are on. The 747 and A380 are going to be exceptions, of course. MAX may become another.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    I've long suspected that most travelers, most of the time, are unaware of what type of aircraft they are on. The 747 and A380 are going to be exceptions, of course. MAX may become another.
    I would agree. I also suspect that more than anything, the present economy, travel restrictions, and the pandemic will slow the reintroduction of the 737 Max. Airlines are not going to be rushing to place orders for any new aircraft, and will be slow to take aircraft out of mothballs, if they don't have the traffic to support it.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Bah, this virus wasn't engineered by China. Boeing did it! All to cause distraction from their quality problems.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearded One View Post
    Bah, this virus wasn't engineered by China. Boeing did it! All to cause distraction from their quality problems.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I've certainly seen worse conspiracy theories!

American Airlines is going to start flying the 737 MAX by end of December.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/02/amer...e-in-jets.html
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Boeing has more 737 troubles, plus 787 troubles.

https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...s-in-november/
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

I've long suspected that most travelers, most of the time, are unaware of what type of aircraft they are on.
    That may be the case. However, at least one traveller is always aware of what type of aircraft he is on.

Well, almost always. Sometimes when I have a missed connection and they quickly rush me off to an alternate flight, I don't know what type it is until I sit down and look at the little card. Maybe the only time anyone ever looks at the safety card.

And sometimes after falling asleep on a long trip with three (or even four) flights, it takes a few seconds to get oriented and remember.
    A: "Things that are equal to the same are equal to each other"
    B: "The two sides of this triangle are things that are equal to the same"
    C: "If A and B are true, Z must be true"
    D: "If A and B and C are true, Z must be true"
    E: "If A and B and C and D are true, Z must be true"

Therefore, Z: "The two sides of this triangle are equal to each other"

Quote Originally Posted by 21st Century Schizoid Man View Post
    That may be the case. However, at least one traveller is always aware of what type of aircraft he is on.

Well, almost always. Sometimes when I have a missed connection and they quickly rush me off to an alternate flight, I don't know what type it is until I sit down and look at the little card. Maybe the only time anyone ever looks at the safety card.

And sometimes after falling asleep on a long trip with three (or even four) flights, it takes a few seconds to get oriented and remember.
    So am I. But I haven't flown in years, and the last couple of times were Boeing test flights.

So am I. But I haven't flown in years, and the last couple of times were Boeing test flights.
    Last time was early January 2020. Most of the way around the world and back.

On the outbound, I had a late arrival in the US, missed onward connection, but they put me on a replacement flight. Well, a replacement two flights, I had to make an unplanned connection. I don't remember whether it was the connection city with the nice lounge where the chef made some Mexican food to order for you, or if that was elsewhere on the trip. On the return, the international first class lounge at LAX was very nice. (I most definitely was not flying international first class, but I am allowed lounge access because I have the right-coloured frequent flier card.)

Last trip outside the country was in March, but that was by motorcycle.

The first place I can go without quarantine, I'm going. I don't care where it is.

Depending on how you define "traveler," there must be at least two (plus however many flight attendants) who'd better be aware!
    As above, so below

The first place I can go without quarantine, I'm going. I don't care where it is.
    Probably Victoria BC for me, but it'll be by car and ferry!

Depending on how you define "traveler," there must be at least two (plus however many flight attendants) who'd better be aware!
    Ha!

But both Boeing and Airbus have common certification for some of their aeroplanes - would the pilots actually need to know? (Don't know myself, just wondering.) Are there things they would see just by looking around that would tell them immediately?

Boeing has agreed to pay $2.5bn (£1.8bn) to settle US criminal charges that it hid information from safety officials about the design of its 737 Max planes.

The Justice Department said Boeing officials had concealed information about changes to an automated flight control system, known as MCAS, which investigations have tied to the crashes in Indonesia and Ethiopia in 2018 and 2019.

The decision meant that pilot training manuals lacked information about the system, which overrode pilot commands based on faulty data, forcing the planes to nosedive shortly after take-off.

Boeing did not co-operate with investigators for six months, the DOJ said.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/business-55582496

This is not the end of related litigation however, as
    ....... attorneys for the victims of the Ethiopian Airlines crash said the deal on Thursday would not end their pending civil lawsuit against Boeing.
    (ibid)

Ha!

But both Boeing and Airbus have common certification for some of their aeroplanes - would the pilots actually need to know? (Don't know myself, just wondering.) Are there things they would see just by looking around that would tell them immediately?
    Yes, they would need to know, because different planes have different take-off weight, speeds, instrument layouts, etc. I’m not sure a pilot could identify the type of plane just by the cockpit layout, but certainly they would know it’s a different type of plane than they’d expected, and there are manuals in the cockpit that would allow them to easily identify it.
    As above, so below

Yes, they would need to know, because different planes have different take-off weight, speeds, instrument layouts, etc. I’m not sure a pilot could identify the type of plane just by the cockpit layout, but certainly they would know it’s a different type of plane than they’d expected, and there are manuals in the cockpit that would allow them to easily identify it.
    Pilots receive information well before the flight and which includes aircraft type, maintenance information, etc. In an absolute worst case, the pilot could recognize the type by conducting a pre-flight, walk-around inspection.