Thread: The Botnet Army wants YOU (and might already have you)

Unhappy The Botnet Army wants YOU (and might already have you)

I swear that every time I read the technology news, I want to set fire to every computer I have.

https://techxplore.com/news/2018-11-...tnet-army.html

Researchers discover how routers may be recruited into botnet army

by Nancy Owano, Tech Xplore, Nov 14, 2018

This is one November headline that made a lot of readers nervous: A reporter gave reasons for why you should change your Internet password now. Kari Paul in MarketWatch was one of several sites reporting on a botnet army out there, using malware to infect computers and turn them into bots. The botnet turns home routers into email spammers. (Believed to be used for sending spam emails, and unlike other botnets, this one "does not appear to be used for performing DDoS attacks," said Greg Synek in TechSpot.)

MarketWatch listed names of companies whose routers potentially are at risk; the companies mentioned did not respond to it to comment at the time of this writing. "So far, between 100,000 and 300,000 devices are infected and that number could grow, researchers say," according to Paul. Naked Security author John Dunn said the botnet has infected at least 100,000 routers in the US, India and China since September.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    I swear that every time I read the technology news, I want to set fire to every computer I have.
    I feel like many elements of various Cyberpunk stories have come to pass, if not quite the way they were presented in the stories.

I used to be big on home automation, now I'm avoiding it because modern home automation hardware is too open to hacking. I do various other things that are perhaps a little old fashioned because I'm concerned about security issues in modern stuff.

As for routers, it seems like almost all of them have been open to hacking at one point or another. Like PCs, check for updates regularly.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

The more you know, the more frightened you get.

How it works for me, anyway.