Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: The Cat Thread

We're had several cats and dogs over the years but now we're down to 2 hens as "pets". Here's Scooter below, our last cat who died last year from congestive heart failure. We adopted him from a neighbor several years ago who suffered a stroke and had to move to a convalescent home.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160712_104828.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	310.6 KB 
ID:	25024

That's such a sweet picture.
    Meanwhile, there's a good deal of meowing going on behind me. It's the regular time for her grooming and the fact that we did it early half an hour ago just doesn't matter.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I've been feeding a stray cat at work and a few days ago he was following me and meowing even though there was food in his bowl. I pushed the bowl in front of his face but he ignored it. So I held the bag of food over the bowl and rattled it to make it sound like I was dumping some out. Then he ran over and started wolfing it down. I guess he's not a contender for World's Smartest Cat.

It's not whether there's food or water in the bowl, it's that you need to DO something!

Cats are creatures of habit to an extreme degree. They get used to something and that is the way it must be. I made the mistake of often having my current cat near my left shoulder when she was a kitten, and she still wants to be on or near my left shoulder even though she is much too big now. So she usually ends up in the crook of my left arm with her paws hanging over my left shoulder. If I move her down, sooner or later (usually sooner) she will move back to the “correct” spot. And, of course, the right arm simply won’t do.

Cats also like the food rituals. Sometimes just touching the food bowl will get one to eat. Though if they are hungry enough, they usually don’t need much persuasion. It is possible your stray wants more attention.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Cats are creatures of habit to an extreme degree.
    Yes, very much so. I think this is the thing about cats that people who don't have cats are most ignorant about.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

CATS! Ugh. Heathens and horrors and they barf everywhere. Beasts.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Everyone needs a purpose in life. Mine is cleaning up cat barf.
    Seriously, why do they throw up so much?

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Everyone needs a purpose in life. Mine is cleaning up cat barf.
    Seriously, why do they throw up so much?
    Because they can.

I remember an incident at our high school in which the band's percussion section was warming up outdoors for the halftime show at a football game. A neighbor across the street called, complaining that her cat had puked because of the noise from the drums.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    I remember an incident at our high school in which the band's percussion section was warming up outdoors for the halftime show at a football game. A neighbor across the street called, complaining that her cat had puked because of the noise from the drums.
    I think they'll do it for pretty much any reason.
    I did google, the consensus seems to be eating too much too fast. That sounds about right, based on my experience.

I thought it mostly had to do with their cleaning behavior. In my experience, it seems to be less of an issue with short hair cats.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I thought it mostly had to do with their cleaning behavior. In my experience, it seems to be less of an issue with short hair cats.
    Hairballs are certainly part of it, but we groom enough that they are rare. You can see them when it happens.

Me getting a hug from the Bandito, who is ill.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVIMG_20200409_161629 (1).jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	25125  

That is very common behavior with my cat. As I mentioned previously, I made the mistake of having her on or near my left shoulder often when she was a kitten, so now she always wants to be at the crook of my arm, and she will either have her paws over my shoulder or my chest. It’s not bad for a time, but eventually I want to be able to use my arm. If I get up and sit down again, she moves right back to my arm.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

The Best

That is very common behavior with my cat. As I mentioned previously, I made the mistake of having her on or near my left shoulder often when she was a kitten, so now she always wants to be at the crook of my arm, and she will either have her paws over my shoulder or my chest. It’s not bad for a time, but eventually I want to be able to use my arm. If I get up and sit down again, she moves right back to my arm.
    Like Roer's cat, the behavior indicates total confidence in her pet human.

Quote Originally Posted by John Mendenhall View Post
    I know the clawing and biting me in the face means Bandit loves me, but honestly there must be a better way, like writing me a note or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    I know the clawing and biting me in the face means Bandit haloves me, but honestly there must be a better way, like writing me a note or something.
    My cat, Orange is pretty good about that, but . . . occasionally she gets very energetic and playful, and then there is a danger of her taking a playful nip on the arm. She obviously isn’t using much force but it often is enough that one fang will draw blood and I then have a wound that will take some time to heal. I have tried various methods to try to train her to stop, but it doesn’t really work. (Incidentally, for new cat owners, always discourage a kitten’s play bites. Part of the issue here, I think, is the amount of time before she entered a human’s home after being with her feral mother.) I have gotten a better idea of when to watch out and sometimes give her something else to do while she calms down. A laser pointer is handy to burn off some energy.

And then there is kneading, which after a certain number of painful pokes, reminds me to trim her claws. Always annoying when I can’t find the trimmer.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Heh. I’m curious, who is Roer? Orange is trusting. Not every day, but fairly often while I am in my recliner, she will walk up to my face (or roll and scoot over if in the crook of my arm) and give me a nose to nose bump. Also, I think she is pretty clear I am not her pet.

By the way, for people who think cats don’t care if you leave, I am convinced that only applies to some cats. A while back I was away for a week, and when I got back she was incredibly excited when she saw me, meowing and jumping around, and stuck to me like glue for some time.

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Roer = Roger, me ?

Me: "(terrible threats)". Cat: "Yeah, yeah, yeah."

Roer = Roger, me ?
    Yes. Our cat plucked the cover off the "G" key one day when she was bored, and it just hasn't been the same since.

Ah, I was thinking of a very different pronunciation, so didn’t think to add the “g.”

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

What phone?

We just had to ring my partner's phone so she could find it. It was well concealed underneath our largest cat, who denied any knowledge that it was there.

Sigh. Cats never do anything wrong. Just ask any cat.

We just had to ring my partner's phone so she could find it. It was well concealed underneath our largest cat, who denied any knowledge that it was there.

Sigh. Cats never do anything wrong. Just ask any cat.
    Probably checking if the seafood store delivers
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Toxoplasmosis has reached Hawaii, carried by feral cats.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/...ii/ar-BB12Ff0p

Toxoplasmosis has reached Hawaii, carried by feral cats.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/...ii/ar-BB12Ff0p
    They swam there?

They swam there?
    Flying tigers, perhaps:

https://www.deviantart.com/theblaqkw...iger-170196671

BTW, I liked this documentary on the real flying tigers:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QqcJSr9iZEk

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

They swam there?
    Infected humans let the cats get on their boats, no doubt.

KokoPuff. If she fits, she sits.

Name:	Koko.jpg 
Size:	349.2 KB 
ID:	25181Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KokoFits.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	408.6 KB 
ID:	25182

Aw, heck. She's all sideways. Please tilt your heads to the right as far as you can.
    And I swear the same pics did NOT come out sideways on my other forum.

ETA: Wait, what? The thumbnails came in sideways when I posted them, and are sideways now in the edit window. But when you see them in the thread, they are correct. Until you click on them; then they're sideways again.

They Look Good

KokoPuff. If she fits, she sits.

Name:	Koko.jpg 
Size:	349.2 KB 
ID:	25181Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KokoFits.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	408.6 KB 
ID:	25182

Aw, heck. She's all sideways. Please tilt your heads to the right as far as you can.
    And I swear the same pics did NOT come out sideways on my other forum.

ETA: Wait, what? The thumbnails came in sideways when I posted them, and are sideways now in the edit window. But when you see them in the thread, they are correct. Until you click on them; then they're sideways again.
    Came thru ok, upright after clicking, on my ancient Dell laptop running XP