Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: The Cat Thread

Smile

Nice profile of Rosie Rockett, taken by my wife with her new cell phone.

Rosie is still skittish at times. You learn to jerk your hand away if she tries to bite you (ineffective, no canines, but she will slash you with a razor-sharp dewclaw moments later) or starts to walk away (same result if you touch her).

She lived outdoors for years, it will take a while to civilize her. Also, neighborhood strays that get under our house (and her room) make her nervous.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MVIMG_20190318_1412aaa10.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	768.8 KB 
ID:	24091  
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Cats know their names, but don't know their names are their names. Something like that.

https://phys.org/news/2019-04-meow-cats-react.html

Meow hear this: Study says cats react to sound of their name
    by Malcolm Ritter, April 4, 2019

Hey Kitty! Yes, you. A new study suggests household cats can respond to the sound of their own names. No surprise to you or most cat owners, right? But Japanese scientists said Thursday that they've provided the first experimental evidence that cats can distinguish between words that we people say.

Cinnamon Sundae, having her apéritif from the sink.

Name:	MVIMG_20190404_094631.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	369.6 KB 
ID:	24111  

A bit of rain today, have to go the auction early because someone else needs the car.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

We found a new 65-inch cat tree from the local Sam's. I was first rather proud of wrestling it home in the car, since it came pre-assembled with no easily reversible way to break it down. The Three gradually warmed to it. After a couple of weeks my wife was fast enough to get this picture. The loading process is tedious, sort of like a Tower of Hanoi puzzle where everything stops if the wrong one goes on first. The picture after this was already blurred as a near-explosive instability set in.

Name:	2019-03-29 11.14.07-3layercats.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	581.5 KB 
ID:	24117  

Quote Originally Posted by ngc3314 View Post
    We found a new 65-inch cat tree from the local Sam's. I was first rather proud of wrestling it home in the car, since it came pre-assembled with no easily reversible way to break it down. The Three gradually warmed to it. After a couple of weeks my wife was fast enough to get this picture. The loading process is tedious, sort of like a Tower of Hanoi puzzle where everything stops if the wrong one goes on first. The picture after this was already blurred as a near-explosive instability set in.
    I assume that's an example of the difficulty in solving the three-body problem.

By the way, congrats on kilopi of posts.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by ngc3314 View Post
    Needs a broader base. Or maybe tie it to the wall or ceiling. Or some lead weight on the bottom. Or screw it to the floor. NOTHING is too much for the kitties. I had to blow that up. Oh, those green eyes!

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I assume that's an example of the difficulty in solving the three-body problem.

By the way, congrats on kilopi of posts.
    I think that may require 3142, not 3141. ngc: Need another cat picture!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Needs a broader base. Or maybe tie it to the wall or ceiling. Or some lead weight on the bottom. Or screw it to the floor. NOTHING is too much for the kitties. I had to blow that up. Oh, those green eyes!
    So far there's a bungee cord to a door frame (which accounts for the location in the room).

I think that may require 3142, not 3141. ngc: Need another cat picture!
    Despite being too young to remember us going away to DragonCon, young Shadow has been cosplaying - first going for Indiana Jones, then Supercat before I manage to removed the cape. Before this morning's breakfast trick, tracking and stalking a banana peel before running with half of it it the far end of the house.

Now counting down another 170 posts to a magic number.

Name:	2019-04-04 11.53.40ShadowCosplay1.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	658.9 KB 
ID:	24135   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019-04-04 17.14.41ShadowCosplay2.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	575.9 KB 
ID:	24136  

There've times when we felt it necessary to snip the handles of bags for that reason.

Our cat loves to stay right underneath our feet. A couple of minutes ago we had a review of two things can't exist in one spot. Coming up the stairs I was putting down my foot and felt something sharp then he screamed then I screamed, then he ran up the stairs.

Here is a pick of jack in the shed doing some gardening.
    https://twitter.com/OrionsHead/statu...27704729993227

Thumbs up

Rosie Rockett, the little shorthaired tortie I rescued last November, has gone through a terrible bout. She caught the cold being passed among the other cats in the house, but in her it turned into pneumonia in one lung and bronchitis (related to feline asthma) in the other. Not sure if she was developing the asthma all along, might be allergic to kitty litter dust.

Got her to vet this week, prognosis was poor, but with aggressive treatment she has pulled through. She is now walking around instead of sitting hunched up, is eating and drinking instead of not, is purring and meowing instead of being silent.

Am so grateful to Banfield vets, my wife, and people who contributed to our GoFundMe for our developing cat sanctuary.

Rosie is my little baby, even if the vet thinks she is five. She's very small for her age.

Name:	MVIMG_20190225z.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	24149  

Glad Rosie is feeling better

Glad Rosie is feeling better
    Thank you. She is a curious little thing, curious as in strange. She has a limited tolerance for attention. Luckily she signals her limit but you have to be fast enough to get your hand out of reach. Time's up once she walks away, growls, hisses, gnaws on your finger (without canines, it's like being gummed to death), or swipes at you with a forepaw (she is dangerous with the dewclaw). Still, she starts off each visit to her room by running over to me and meowing in the monotone that is her signature. After 5 minutes of meowing, head butts, back rubs, etc., she says, "time's up." and leaves.

Thumbs up

Should mention we recently acquired our tenth and probably final cat. Little Percy (about a year old) was becoming a huge problem for the older cats by insisting that they play with him. He managed to injure one of the bigger cats with a claw swipe across the face, at which time we decided Percy needed a companion. By chance a lady my wife knew had to surrender a black kitten similar to Percy, because the lady was on blood thinners and getting clawed by her cat was dangerous.

Here is Cleopatra Josophine (correct spelling) on top of our kitchen cabinets, where she likes to hang out. We call her Cleo Jo. She did become the best buddy of Percy, no one else has been clawed for attention, and we are worn out from collecting needy cats. We can't afford anymore, either. Ten is the cap.

Name:	MVIMG_20190416_104305aa.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	223.6 KB 
ID:	24150  

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    Ten is the cap.
    Famous last words....

Famous last words....
    Actually a good point. We are at our financial and emotional limit for cat support, but the urge for compassion is still strong. I would have to capture future cats and drive them to the Greenville Humane Society, if it is still accepting cats.

Accepting more cats at this point, until we can clear more room in the house AND WIN A LOTTERY, would start to toe into the animal hoarding sphere, which we loathe. I can say in our favor that we can name all of our cats, we have medical records on every one, and there is sufficient room for all ten of them. Plus, I am the chief housekeeper and clean all the litter boxes every day, vacuuming as needed. We also invite people to our home, mostly friends and family at this point. No hoarding at present and no intention to do so in the future.

Still feel sad seeing homeless cats.

That said, people who like cats and are not allergic to them seem to love to visit our house. Bandit, Cinnamon, Tachyon, Percy, Cleo Jo, and the Dipster are super-outgoing and love getting attention. Sophie tends to hide, but she might come out later. Midnight and Blizzard are so-so, take it or leave it. Little Rosie is a bit paranoid and still confined to the back room until her pneumonia is gone.

A note on Rosie: all the steroid oral squirts she is getting have vastly improved her health. She is super active now and hungry. However, she hates the mouth injections and nasal drops, has become distrustful of visits, and NOW she can really fight like her old self. The healthier she is, the more hazardous she has become. You have to "purrito" her to keep from being injured. (Term comes from The Kitten Lady, for wrapping cat in towel like a burrito).

I love Rosie Rockett, but she can really rip you up with those dewclaws.

A very recent photo showing, in the foreground, Cleo Jo meowing hello at the photographer (my wife). Next to her is the cat with terrible bed hair, Cinnamon Sundae.

Behind on the left, back to us, is The Dipster, a.k.a. Serendipity, the world's smallest Maine Coon. In the background center is, um, either Percy or Midnight, uh... we've caught him at a bad time.

Name:	MVIMG_20190429_15425small.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	343.7 KB 
ID:	24157  

In the background center is, um, either Percy or Midnight, uh... we've caught him at a bad time.
    You say that like cats feel shame, or that they would care. No to both of those.

A very recent photo showing, in the foreground, Cleo Jo meowing hello at the photographer (my wife). Next to her is the cat with terrible bed hair, Cinnamon Sundae.

Behind on the left, back to us, is The Dipster, a.k.a. Serendipity, the world's smallest Maine Coon. In the background center is, um, either Percy or Midnight, uh... we've caught him at a bad time.
    You say that like cats feel shame, or that they would care. No to both of those.
    Just what I was thinking. In fact, I've long suspected they adopt that pose if they know you're trying to get a photo.

If cats felt shame, they wouldn't poop in the litter box next to the shower while I was in the shower.

Perseus Jett, a.k.a. Percy, You Little Rugrat, etc., has climbed higher than allows him to get down safely. We have a wire-frame clothing holder in our laundry room, and once he's gotten to the top and knocked down a bag of chips, Percy is stuck. Photo by my wife.

No doubt he was after the chips, being a food pirate. Result of his upbringing (semi-feral kitten in an apartment complex).

Why was it we decided to rescue cats? I have trouble remembering.

Name:	MVIMG_20190502_0856xxx.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	282.6 KB 
ID:	24164  

What is it about cats that makes them enjoy scratching you and biting you as signs of affection? I assume it's affection.

Also, not to repeat myself, but TEN CATS? What was I thinking? Rhetorical question only.

Also, not to repeat myself, but TEN CATS? What was I thinking? Rhetorical question only.

On two occasions we swore to hold the line at one cat, but both times this little orphan turned up ... .

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    On two occasions we swore to hold the line at one cat, but both times this little orphan turned up ... .
    Those are the WORST.

My girlfriend brought me a kitten. Tiny little black guy. He seemed lonely, so we got him a little white sister. They got old and passed on. I thought, ok, good, no more cat hair on my clothes. The former girlfriend, now wife, disagreed. She wanted to go to a cat show.
    On the way to the show, she was recounting the qualities of various breeds. Especially the Ragdoll. I cautioned her: "We can't get a cat today, dear, we don't have a carrier to take it home." "It's in the trunk". Oh. Not a question of IF we're getting a cat, just which one. She was a sweetheart.
    But you can't have just one cat, can you? Wife comes home from the vet with a card from their bulletin board: "Free! Two female Himalayan Cats". Fancy and Misty soon joined us.
    Misty was the dominant cat of the two, and was soon bullying the ragdoll kitten. Would back her into a corner and just sit there, daring her to come out. It was troublesome, but after a year I realized it wasn't happening any more. Misty weighed about 8 pounds. The ragdoll had grown a bit, and was about 14. She was still timid, so it was a pretty even truce.
    Of course, those got old and we were down to one. This time my wife insisted we were NOT going catless, and I agreed. We got two more Ragdoll kittens. Then my parents died a few months apart and we inherited their boys. Now we had FOUR CATS!
    The boys, were old, we didn't have them long enough. Very sweet kitties. Now it's just the two Ragdolls.
    Excuse me, it's time to go sit with the cat.

Those are the WORST.
    Twice now we've had one cat we picked out and another who picked us.