Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reminded That I Live in the Future

The number of verified exoplanets is expected to soon reach 4,000. I have an old astronomy book where the author argued that detection of planets around other stars would be impossible with telescopes. Link:

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-47681239

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

My new house has WiFi enabled computers in the following:
    Septic System
    HVAC System
    Water Heater
    Water Softener
    Garage Door Openers
    Televisions

We had to go a bit out of our way not to have it in the fridge. Of course, that doesn't mean the fridge doesn't have it, just that they didn't advertise it on this model. I haven't connected any of them, but that doesn't mean they haven't done it anyhow.

Hmm, what about the Washer and Dryer? They clearly have computers, I wonder what they aren't telling us? They're from Samsung, who were caught spying on their customers through the TV a couple of years ago.

ETA: Generator! Dang, I knew I was missing one!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    My new house has WiFi enabled computers in the following: ...
    So, basically, your home can be controlled by a 14-yo hacker in Passaic. Cool.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    So, basically, your home can be controlled by a 14-yo hacker in Passaic. Cool.
    Well, he did say he hasn't connected them.

I have some wifi-enabled light switches that I've put in my house, but I keep them on a separate network which doesn't have a route to the Internet. No doubt a dedicated hacker specifically targeting me could hack my setup, but I'm pretty confident they're not connecting to the Internet on their own.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post

I have some wifi-enabled light switches that I've put in my house, but I keep them on a separate network which doesn't have a route to the Internet. No doubt a dedicated hacker specifically targeting me could hack my setup, but I'm pretty confident they're not connecting to the Internet on their own.
    That is exactly what they want you to think until it is too late. I, for one, welcome our new masters of light and darkness

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    Time keeps slipping into the future.
    And then it drifts into time passages.
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Until you find that ten years have got behind you.
    As above, so below

A few years ago we had some huge power equipment (think tens of megawatts worth of rotating and moving parts) where we wanted to be able to watch the user interface remotely using Teamviewer and the likes. However, we wanted it to never ever ever be possible to interact remotely, so any and every mouse command or key stroke had to be blocked. We found the absolute unhackeable solution: communication was with COM ports, and we simply took tweezers and pulled out the relevant pins from the connector. They can't hack you when the copper wire is in the dustbin!

I told here before that we also had the opposite happen: two laptops connected by a network cable, and to test the behaviour at loss of connection, we pulled out the cable. Communication went down and...up again after a few seconds, even though the cable was clearly disconnected! Turned out those laptops had been connected to each other using WIFI somewhere in the past, and upon loosing the cable connection, both automatically fell back to WIFI. We didn't anticipate that!

Buy me a ticket on the last train home tonight.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

10. 2019-Mar-27, 08:58 AM
    Reason
    Double post

Quote Originally Posted by Nicolas View Post
    They can't hack you when the copper wire is in the dustbin!
    “Air gapping” may prevent baddies from taking control, but not spying. See
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tempest_(codename)

But then, I doubt anyone wants to spy on Treb’s septic system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

E. coli powers my house! That's why everything smells bad.

https://phys.org/news/2019-03-bacter...ectricity.html

Bacteria could be a future source of electricity
    March 27, 2019, Lund University

In recent years, researchers have tried to capture the electrical current that bacteria generate through metabolism. So far, however, the transfer of current from the bacteria to a receiving electrode has been highly inefficient. Now, researchers from institutions including Lund University have achieved a slightly more efficient transfer of electrical current.

One of society's greatest challenges is to meet the need for renewable and sustainable energy. Interest is growing around one potential such energy source: bacteria. "We pick up electrons from the bacterium and transfer them to an electrode. This enables us to obtain an electrical current from the bacteria in real time, while they are eating, as it were," explains Lo Gorton, professor of chemistry at Lund University in Sweden. "This study is a breakthrough in our understanding of extracellular electron transfer in bacteria," he says.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

That might be a good way to terraform an extrasolar world. Have "warm pond" not just power your probe--but be like the entity Abhoth, and have your own Cambrian explosion from the batch.

Unless you keep time in a bottle.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Trying to fix my internet this morning. Realized in the process that everyone just takes it for granted now that you will have multiple computers in your home, because "download drivers" is considered a sensible solution to "I can't get online."

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

In principle there also is the option of getting download assistance either from a friendly neighbor or from your local public library.
    Selden

Reminded That I Live in the Future

Another assumption is that you can set up a wired connection. I had to lend my daughter a laptop and Ethernet cable because her router defaults to “you can only configure via wired connection”*, and none of her devices (phones, iPad, etc) has an Ethernet port . After hitting the reset button, she essentially had a brick.

*I assume this is security-related.

They really should offer recovery software that you can download to your telephone and move over to the computer.

I find it interesting that the past few times I've flown after being at home, I've had to go to the library to print out my boarding passes because we don't have a printer at home anymore. I don't know if this is common or if it's just us.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    They really should offer recovery software that you can download to your telephone and move over to the computer.
    I guess the router company hasn’t quite moved to the wireless future of my daughter. That said, I wouldn’t be surprised if your suggestion eventually takes hold - perhaps via Bluetooth.

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Another assumption is that you can set up a wired connection.
    The problem was with my wired connection.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

Microscopic robots in your brain will let invisible computers telepathically fill your head with cat videos, or something like that.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2019-...ce-people.html

You tell me, I did the best I could.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I suspect we could have an entire thread on spouses, significant others, and friends asking for assistance at inappropriate times and from inappropriate distances.
    When my daughter went to Cameroon, about ten years ago, in the Peace Corps, a friend of mine who had been in the British equivalent advised her to get a radio, for international broadcasts. He thought it essential, she decided against it, reasoning that the country was nearly covered with cell access.

So, one night (midnight there) she called me. She and another volunteer were on their monthly 150km trip to do banking, which because of dirt roads and rain often took 12 or more hours. The driver and his assistant were trying to re-secure a wheel that had been wrenched off, and she and the other passenger were laying in a field on a blanket. But she had cell coverage, and called me. I had no idea how I could help, from a fourth of the earth away, but they just wanted to know what star they were looking at.
    My wife once called me when I was on a business trip (she was in Ohio, I was in Texas - over 1500 km apart) to tell me there was a mouse in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by grapes View Post
    ... they just wanted to know what star they were looking at.
    There is an app for that. Several. (I use SkyView.)

Come to think, there's also an app for chasing a mouse from the house, but it involves throwing your cell phone at it.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Living in the future:

Last week I had to send some form via the U.S. Mail.

I had to dig up an envelope and a stamp. The envelopes we had were so old that the glue on the flap was dried out and we had to add some adhesive. Fortunately, the stamps were still viable, and were of the "Forever" denomination, no matter how many postal increases had taken place since I last sent anything this way. (Pretty clever of the P.O. to sell lots of "Forever" that seemed a bargain, but will never be used.) A custom return address rubber stamp kit that I had purchased many years ago is now useless, having also dried out, so I had to hand-print the whole envelope (didn't want to risk running it through my printer). I used to keep my old typewriter around just for this, but finally got rid of it.

Finding a mailbox that had a daily pickup wasn't easy.

Your home doesn't have one?
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

There's one right in front of the mailboxes for my apartment building.

"You can't erase icing."

Yeah, that’s what the little flag is for.

Yeah, but I don't trust that neighborhood!

Yeah, I guess I could have tried leaving it for the mailperson. Somehow, that never occurs to me. We took it to the post office and dumped it in the box there.

We don't have one because the government deemed unsafe, so we have use the community mailbox about 500 m away.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Pickup trucks with outstretched side mirrors keep destroying mailboxes along our road. After our own mailbox was knocked off two months ago, we easily changed our home mailing address to the P.O. Box we already had for getting large parcels and valuable mail. The age of the outdoor mailbox at the end of the driveway has ended, like the age of having a telephone with a "house" number, which we stopped using because my wife and I have personal cell phones. And we stopped watching broadcast TV using rabbit-ears antennae because we watch only YouTube shows now.