Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Reminded That I Live in the Future

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    Eh, just add an articulated head, fur, and have it bark and say, “Hello, my name is Rags,” and nobody could tell the difference between one and other talking dogs.
    That makes it so much worse.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Never had occasion to do that, in my Former Existence. Plenty of phone consultations, though. And lots of committee meetings using video conferencing.
    For me, video calls are fine for basic maintenance contact, hopeless for anything else. The more empathy you need, the more "uncanny" it becomes. The slight delay in response, the inability to see what people are doing with their hands and feet, the difficulty in interpreting the direction of their gaze ... so much of the non-verbal communication is distorted or blocked, social contact by that medium is just excruciating for me. I suspect any sort of clinical consultation involving more than a greeting and the communication of some routine information would be the same--and that's the sort of thing that can be done just fine by email or a phone call.

So with reference to Zoom chats, I find myself echoing Isidor Rabi's comment about the muon: "Who ordered that?" They don't seem to add much to my life, and they introduce so many new complications that they're just annoying. And, honestly, my carbon footprint could do without a simmering server farm somewhere pumping out heat just so that I can have an unpleasant experience I'd rather avoid.

Grant Hutchison
    I've been on some where the first 2/3 of the allocated meeting time is devoted to most of the participants figuring out how everything works, how to share documents, how to unmute themselves, how to mute themselves (we've heard some comments that were probably best not shared with the entire group), etc.
    People who live in glass houses, should get undressed in the dark.

Quote Originally Posted by 21st Century Schizoid Man View Post
    (we've heard some comments that were probably best not shared with the entire group)
    Oh my, yes.

My sister tells of a meeting where some yahoo was casually badmouthing a co-worker in nasty comments and the boss had to interrupt and say, "Um, as you were told at the beginning, this session is being recorded, and you should probably stop with the borderline harassment if you don't want HR to get involved."

Quote Originally Posted by 21st Century Schizoid Man View Post
    I've been on some where the first 2/3 of the allocated meeting time is devoted to most of the participants figuring out how everything works, how to share documents, how to unmute themselves, how to mute themselves (we've heard some comments that were probably best not shared with the entire group), etc.
    I find generally things work pretty well. My company used to use WebEx and it seemed to have a lot of problems. And we have one customer that requires us to use Skype and it is pretty awful - the video never seems to work right and the audio quality is pretty mediocre (though I also wonder if part of that problem is that the meetings involve people in the US, the Netherlands, India, and Malaysia simultaneously - yes, just picking a meeting time is fun).

We're using Teams now and everyone seems to have worked out how to use it (we've had a lot of practice over the last year) and it generally works well. The main problem is parts of our company network are inadequate to handle the bandwidth of lots of users using video at the same time. Its "funny" when people at home have better bandwidth then people who are actually at work.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

We use Teams and it works pretty well. You can actually scroll smoothly through a document or drawing or - in our case - a 3D model without the buffered delay that Skype has. There are some issues. Some users get a black screen when they try to share, but Microsoft provides a Report a problem button and they do seem to pay attention to the reports.

We can now hold Teams meetings with up to 1,000 participants. Great for large town halls, I guess.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

All I'm saying is that, with few exceptions, my son's second-grade classmates have figured it out by now.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Teams does well for me with my work. I keep my image up so everyone knows I didn't walk off to another room.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

It's fantastic to live in a world where much of the population has a high-resolution video and still camera in his/her pocket. That's finally provided us with the proof of UFO's and Bigfoot!

Or not.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Unidentified Flying Objects are real, I can't identify half of what I see in the sky!

Or maybe I just need to clean my glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Unidentified Flying Objects are real, I can't identify half of what I see in the sky!

Or maybe I just need to clean my glasses.
    This could go in the “bugs you” thread, but that reminds me of a recent news headline I read a few days ago, about someone claiming to have seen a UFO, and I said out loud, “Big Deal. i’ve seen dozens of flying objects I couldn’t identify in my life. I expect they all had mundane causes, though.”

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser