Thread: Can I respond to a Mod comment directed at somebody else?

Can I respond to a Mod comment directed at somebody else?

For example, this one?
    Do not respond to or argue with moderation in-thread, unless asked to by the moderator (rule 17). If you wish to discuss a moderator action you can PM that moderator, another moderator or administrator, Report the moderator's post, or, if you wish a public discussion, start a thread in Feedback.
    https://forum.cosmoquest.org/showthr...31#post2474531

Also, do I have to remove the font color when quoting a Mod comment?

Can I respond to a Mod comment directed at somebody else?
    In-thread? No. Rule 17 applies to all users, not just the person(s) who may be the focus of the moderator's comments.

By other means (Feedback, PMs, Report)? Yes

As far as font color, it is probably best to leave the color that the message was posted in, but it isn't a big deal either way.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    In-thread? .
    No, I meant as in starting a topic in feedback to discuss the moderation. Can anyone do that?

Quote Originally Posted by Gigabyte View Post
    No, I meant as in starting a topic in feedback to discuss the moderation. Can anyone do that?
    Sure, why not? Feedback is for discussing the operation of this forum. If a particular moderator warning or post illustrates something you want to discuss, why shouldn't you use it as the start of a discussion?

Well, part of the problem is to discuss the moderation might also discuss the topic, and since it is in a closed topic, and it is in ATM, I have no idea what invisible line I might cross.

I don't know enough about the subjects, but I found the thread very interesting. But what I really don't understand, or agree with, was claiming an animated image was of no help, and was unrelated to the argument.

Please stop including pictures and animations that do nothing to further the point you are making in that post.
    https://forum.cosmoquest.org/showthr...88#post2474488

With out the image I would have had trouble understanding the point it was supposed to be about. Since it's one of those things I have wondered about, photon clocks, and time, and gravity and all that, I found the mod instruction more than bit strange.

Well, part of the problem is to discuss the moderation might also discuss the topic, and since it is in a closed topic, and it is in ATM, I have no idea what invisible line I might cross.

I don't know enough about the subjects, but I found the thread very interesting. But what I really don't understand, or agree with, was claiming an animated image was of no help, and was unrelated to the argument.

https://forum.cosmoquest.org/showthr...88#post2474488

With out the image I would have had trouble understanding the point it was supposed to be about. Since it's one of those things I have wondered about, photon clocks, and time, and gravity and all that, I found the mod instruction more than bit strange.
    The problem isn't the single use of the image. The problem is that he had already posted the image in post # 5 and post # 6. He then posted it again in post # 35, and as best as I can tell it had nothing to do with post # 35 and it seemed to be excessive at that point.

And all he got was an in-thread moderator comment to stop posting the same image; no infraction, no official warning (no zero-point infraction).

Your raised points are perfectly OK to raise here in feedback, I see no crossing of lines.

Please stop including pictures and animations that do nothing to further the point you are making in that post.
    (my bold)

The moderator did not claim the image is of no help. The moderator response you quote was after the third time the same (animated) image was posted. The point had already been made in posts before, and the image was just repeated without any specific added value to the post triggering the response.

(Note, this was after the poster already had crossed lines violating rule 8, hotlinking and large images, which also contains a phrase about automatically starting videos. One can debate whether an animation is in fact a video).

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

I found the animated image, indeed most the embedded images, to be somewhere on the spectrum between unhelpful and misleading. The match to the text was uneasy at best.

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2019-Feb-05 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Removed sock puppet reference

Is the issue of sockpuppets also up for discussion? (I thought the idea was to not give attention in any way)

Is the issue of sockpuppets also up for discussion? (I thought the idea was to not give attention in any way)
    Fair enough. I deleted the reference, if only because it gave a hint on how to be a better sock puppet.

Grant Hutchison

We can discuss the issue of sockpuppets.