Thread: Does Aspartame cause headaches in some people?

Does Aspartame cause headaches in some people?

Some people say it does, buy I wonder if someone actually needs to consume some sugars, due to low blood glucose and then they consume something with aspartame in it, they may just get as headache from not upping their blood glucose..?
    Formerly Frog march.

Quote Originally Posted by WaxRubiks View Post
    Some people say it does, buy I wonder if someone actually needs to consume some sugars, due to low blood glucose and then they consume something with aspartame in it, they may just get as headache from not upping their blood glucose..?
    People who have a medical need to monitor their blood sugar [should]pay attention to food ingredients [if they value toes and eyesight]. I don’t believe any double blind studies have been done, so the answer is that it’s certainly possible, and there is considerable anecdotal support for the link. I try to avoid aspartame, not because of headache, but because I don’t like the aftertaste.

Getting a study done would be difficult; there are no benefits* to aspartame (except to its producers and those of foodstuffs thwt use it) and “headache” isn’t enough of a detriment.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Having now got used to low carb as a diet to manage type two, I do not need sweeteners nor crave sugars. It is important to remember that bread and potatoes, as the main examples, turn rapidly into blood sugar and actual sugar may not be the problem for diabetics. I still drink diet sodas without headache but limit them in a worry about artificial sweeteners, there is no unsweetened cola on the market, it seems.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    Having now got used to low carb as a diet to manage type two, I do not need sweeteners nor crave sugars. It is important to remember that bread and potatoes, as the main examples, turn rapidly into blood sugar and actual sugar may not be the problem for diabetics. I still drink diet sodas without headache but limit them in a worry about artificial sweeteners, there is no unsweetened cola on the market, it seems.

that would be an interesting taste. I'd try that.
    Formerly Frog march.

That doesn’t make sense, if you think about it, because otherwise just fasting would cause headaches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    That doesn’t make sense, if you think about it, because otherwise just fasting would cause headaches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    but fasting is a specific example...the body slows down gradually..glucose level out....someone who might be very active might have a glucose low and need sugar, and without it they might get a headache.
    Formerly Frog march.

I associated aspartame with headaches, but that was because they exacerbated headaches, or drank diet drinks when I needed sugar probably.
    I do tend to find that sugar does stave off headaches.
    I've drank so much diet drinks otherwise, without getting a headache though, so I think my OP link may have some merit.
    Formerly Frog march.

there is no unsweetened cola on the market, it seems.
    Unsweetened may not be nice. But I would certainly like some less sickly choices. I never drink things like coke, even though I quite like the flavour, because they are revoltingly sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Unsweetened may not be nice. But I would certainly like some less sickly choices. I never drink things like coke, even though I quite like the flavour, because they are revoltingly sweet.
    there could be an attachment to cans that contained sugar, and then people could add as much or as little, as they liked.

bit like the old Smiths crisp salt bag.
    Formerly Frog march.

there could be an attachment to cans that contained sugar, and then people could add as much or as little, as they liked.

bit like the old Smiths crisp salt bag.
    Duet Coke...a coke where you can add sugar pills or aspartame pills...
    Formerly Frog march.

Duet Coke...a coke where you can add sugar pills or aspartame pills...
    Despite the secrecy I suspect we could devise a cola style non sweet drink, do you think it would sell? The various energy sugar free drinks are quite sour and they have sold very well. I suppose there is alcohol free beer to choose as an alternative. But there's sugar in that. Of course there are several artificial sweeteners now and they have perhaps more acceptable taste than aspartame. Unfortunately or not for me I don't like any of them, but plant based Stevia is the least worst. Why oh why do all the bakers in USA feel it necessary to add sugar to bread? I guess some headaches in some people can have many associations, some psychological perhaps? In that case is there a cause? Aristotle would take us back to some earlier experience as the efficient cause.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.

It is important to remember that bread and potatoes, as the main examples, turn rapidly into blood sugar and actual sugar may not be the problem for diabetics.
    Yup. The key is Glycemic Index - the rate at which a food gets converted. Potatoes and bread are among the highest.

I drink a lot of Diet Cola. 50 ounces per day minimum, often more. I never get headaches.

That might be a neat trick for a small startup to sneak into the market, but Big Cola would never do that. Their flavour is their brand. It is more closely guarded and more controlled than their actual logo.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC426913 View Post
    Yup. The key is Glycemic Index - the rate at which a food gets converted. Potatoes and bread are among the highest.

I drink a lot of Diet Cola. 50 ounces per day minimum, often more. I never get headaches.
    Also important is the insulin index, similar but also high for bread and spuds. Insulin can surge just thinking about potatoes. In type two the insulin does not help cells use glucose but lays down fat instead and damages eyes and various tissues. The good news is that one can live very happily without carbs , lose the fat, and halt most of the bad effects.
    sicut vis videre esto

AVOID ASPERTAME like you would avoid mercury. This stuff saves the manufacturers money, but no one cares about the effects, short and long term . The only safe way is not to play. It is not a safe food stuff. Heed this warning .

Quote Originally Posted by danscope View Post
    AVOID ASPERTAME like you would avoid mercury. This stuff saves the manufacturers money, but no one cares about the effects, short and long term . The only safe way is not to play. It is not a safe food stuff. Heed this warning .
    No, not really. It doesn't save manufacturers money, because they could just put sugar into things and sugar isn't that expensive. What it does is allow people to eat sweet things without gaining as much weight. Personally I hate the staff, as it tastes completely foul to me, but there is no evidence as far as I know of bad health effects. Here, for example.
    As above, so below

Without facts, this is nothing more than scare-mongering.

I know there's some research that finds Aspartame unhealthy, but there's also quite a lot that finds otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Personally I hate the staff, as it tastes completely foul to me....
    I found that not having many alternatives has a way of making it surprisingly more palatable.

E951 is the European approval number, it does mean it has been tested although i do not claim to know the details. It’s been in drinks since the Seventies and thus may be safer than drinking mercury
    sicut vis videre esto

Just to echo what others have said, that seems a fairly unscientific statement on a forum devoted to science. Maybe you could post some links to evidence to support that.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

ANECDOTE: My Mom gets wicked headaches after consuming Aspartame.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright