Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ufo photos

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    OK, let's say I concede everything. It isn't hoax, these people not only believe they saw something, but they actually did, and they took a picture of it. And I have no explanation as to what they saw.

So what? What does that prove? Am I expected to believe that ETs are visiting Earth because of this? Am I supposed to believe that there are mysterious things out there? OK, there are mysterious things out there. So what?
    Whoever said you are to believe there are extraterrestrials? Does that mean that if you see something you can not explain, you just shrug it off? So no curiosity to find a plausible explanation?

Quote Originally Posted by gzhpcu View Post
    Simply that my view of rural people, is that being closer to nature, they are more apt to enjoy the simple things in life and be less money-oriented.
    Your view of rural people is deeply romanticized and not very well informed by history.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Just to be clear: I am not saying the Trent ufo was the real deal: I am trying to understand why three farmers would perpetrate a hoax and stick to the story all their lives.
    Here's a pretty nice analysis of the photos, that suggests pretty strongly that they were faked. I can easily imagine a few people just doing it as an amusing joke, not expecting that it would ever really amount to more than something to laugh about with their friends. But then discovering that the news becomes widespread, and feeling like there's no way to back out of the story they told. Lying can be like that: you tell some small untruth that you think is of no real significance, and then find yourself in a position where you have to either embellish and support your initial statement, or admit that you were making it up all along, and have to answer uncomfortable questions about why you did so. And for some people at least, the longer one strings the story along, the harder it can be to finally admit the truth.
    Conserve energy. Commute with the Hamiltonian.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Here's a pretty nice analysis of the photos, that suggests pretty strongly that they were faked. I can easily imagine a few people just doing it as an amusing joke, not expecting that it would ever really amount to more than something to laugh about with their friends. But then discovering that the news becomes widespread, and feeling like there's no way to back out of the story they told. Lying can be like that: you tell some small untruth that you think is of no real significance, and then find yourself in a position where you have to either embellish and support your initial statement, or admit that you were making it up all along, and have to answer uncomfortable questions about why you did so. And for some people at least, the longer one strings the story along, the harder it can be to finally admit the truth.
    That seems rather likely...

Whoever said you are to believe there are extraterrestrials? Does that mean that if you see something you can not explain, you just shrug it off? So no curiosity to find a plausible explanation?
    Well, I didn't see it, which makes it much less interesting to me. Stories of what other people supposedly saw I find pretty uninteresting. You are obviously much more interested in them.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

What I do not understand is why a rural family would come up with hoax.
    That a rural family came up with a hoax is a possibility and there are reasons, e.g. a joke, boredom, wish for fame. A video about a rural family in the 1950's does not make then "harmless', incapable of hoaxes or incapable of making extraordinary claims about ordinary phenomena. The Trent photos specifically are probably hoaxes. McMinnville UFO photographs: Suggested Hoax Explanation

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Well, I didn't see it, which makes it much less interesting to me. Stories of what other people supposedly saw I find pretty uninteresting. You are obviously much more interested in them.
    We are all different. I am interested probably also because I have always enjoyed mystery and detective novels since a youngster...

A liking for mysteries spawned my thread about astronomical mysteries, some of which were connected with ufology and other junk but turned out to have a basis in fact (e.g., the "bridge on the Moon"). Nothing with UFOs, though.