Thread: Alaska: 2018 Seismicity

Alaska: 2018 Seismicity

Alaska usually averages about 40,000 earthquakes a year but 2018 was exceptional, with more than 55,000.

No doubt the thousands of aftershocks from our November 30th M7.0 contributed to the increase.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Looks like a whole lot of shaking going on.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

This thread made me look at a map upon which I saw the town of Deadhorse, Alaska. That's even funnier that my previous favorite which was Big Otter, West Virginia.

Perhaps an admin or someone could move this to Geology and Planetary Surfaces....

Pretty impressive. Is it just Alaska, or or other areas seeing anything similar?
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Hey, an Admin put it here. I value my completely volunteer and totally unpaid job too much to move it without permission.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    This thread made me look at a map upon which I saw the town of Deadhorse, Alaska. That's even funnier that my previous favorite which was Big Otter, West Virginia.
    I've long said you can tell the places where a lot of towns were named by young single men. Look at a map of Gold Country in California.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Here in Washington, my favorite is probably "Humptulips".
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Alaska: 2018 Seismicity

I posted this casually...sort of a “Hey, whattayaknow” kind of thread...rather then a science discussion. But I’m not averse to moving it.

ETA: Done.
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Pretty impressive. Is it just Alaska, or or other areas seeing anything similar?
    I haven’t seen any other info on other states or elsewhere on the Ring of Fire. That graphic just happened to show up in my Facebook feed.

I thought it might be cool to see an animated version showing them in sequence. A search turned up some nice charts. This one at thinkgeoenergy.com shows earthquakes in sequence worldwide from January 2001 to December 2015.
    Depending on whom you ask, everything is relative.

Quote Originally Posted by mkline55 View Post
    I thought it might be cool to see an animated version showing them in sequence. A search turned up some nice charts. This one at thinkgeoenergy.com shows earthquakes in sequence worldwide from January 2001 to December 2015.
    Very cool
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

The producers should have used the William Tell Overture as background music.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    The producers should have used the William Tell Overture as background music.
    Surely for seismic plots that should be underground music?

Quote Originally Posted by Eclogite View Post
    Surely for seismic plots that should be underground music?
    How about rock music?
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules