Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you were on the moon...

If you were on the moon...

...what would be one thing you'd be certain to do?

Look back in awe at the big ball earth of course. And yet did any of the Apollo astronauts take video film of the earth from the surface of moon? If so please would you provide a link? Thank you.

Given no such footage was taken, I'd assert that no man set foot on the moon at all.
    "Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
    - Plato

Why video? Isn't a photo good enough for you?

this took about 30 seconds of Googling to find:
    https://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a11/AS11-40-5923.jpg

Edited to provide better source (another 10 seconds of googling)
    Second Edit: shortened URL to eliminate google search feculence
    Last edited by Extravoice; 2019-Mar-16 at 12:41 AM.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by gunzlepug View Post

Look back in awe at the big ball earth of course. And yet did any of the Apollo astronauts take video film of the earth from the surface of moon? If so please would you provide a link? Thank you.

Given no such footage was taken, I'd assert that no man set foot on the moon at all.
    That's the most egregious example of an "If I ran the zoo" fallacy I've seen for quite some time!

I'd write 'Kilroy was here 1969', in the moon dust.

Quote Originally Posted by WaxRubiks View Post
    I've actually thought about that one. It wouldn't shock me if a Kilroy doodle were found when someone goes back to the landing sites. People have sort of forgotten Kilroy these days, but I'm sure the astronauts would have been familiar with it.

And I agree with AGN Fuel: Blatant example of "If I ran the zoo" thinking.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I assume gunzlepug is serious, so I expect only serious posts in this thread.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Why video? Isn't a photo good enough for you?

this took about 30 seconds of Googling to find:
    https://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a11/AS11-40-5923.jpg

Edited to provide better source (another 10 seconds of googling)
    Second Edit: shortened URL to eliminate google search feculence
    That photo also demonstrates one reason they probably didn't take motion pictures of the Earth - the Earth was very high in the lunar sky. So the film would be a movie of the Earth in a black sky - what would be the point? The Earthrise film from lunar orbit was much more interesting.

The astronauts had very limited time on the Moon and were there to accomplish very specific mission objectives and goals; there was limited time for sightseeing.

And just to be clear, the video cameras of the time were pretty poor quality and not very portable. However, there is extensive still and motion picture coverage from the surface of the Moon.

Lastly, if the lack of one motion picture in the category you have chosen is enough for you to dismiss the overwhelming physical evidence of the manned missions to the Moon, then absolutely nothing we say here will convince you otherwise, IMO. I also suspect if someone does find such a film, you'll dismiss it as fake.

I also thought this was going to be a fun sort of thread, and actually searched up this similar one I made (HOLY FREAKING CRUD) ten years ago on a similar topic to link to-- "If You Could Visit Three Places On The Moon".
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Aristarchus. No question. I'd do research there until the Sun burned out. Well, until my wife made me come home, but I'd do serious research. I wanna know what's going on there.
    There is something fascinating about science. One gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of such a trifling investment of fact.
    — Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi (1883)

Folks

I assume that gunzlepug's opening question was rhetorical and that he is seriously advocating a conspiracy. So please stop with the stories of what you would do on the moon. Thanks

Okay then, consider my question is a serious one. Why ain’t a picture good enough?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the question was an appeal as to what a typical person might feel like doing if they were to have been on the missions.
    There could be many answers to that.

One might be to kneel down on the ground and scoop up some dust. throw the dust about and experience for the first time in one's life how actual dust behave in low gravity in a vacuum.

The dropping of various objects. To see how they fall. Jumping around. Dropping things into the dust surface to see what happens....it is a very novel environment and there might be lots of things that astronauts might want personally to try.

I suppose these astronauts would have been in space a few days, and been able to see the Earth from their window..?

So by the time they landed on the moon, they might well be more interested in the actual moon rather than looking back at Earth.

I take it the OP is ignoring the many examples of Earth filmed by live TV from lunar surface?

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Folks

I assume that gunzlepug's opening question was rhetorical and that he is seriously advocating a conspiracy. So please stop with the stories of what you would do on the moon. Thanks
    I'd throw a baseball. But, seriously, here is video that proves, if the astronauts had a video camera, video of the Earth from the moon is certainly possible. At 37:14, from the Apollo 17 rover, a pretty good view of the Earth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQOEC9gHpmA

Look back in awe at the big ball earth of course.
    Maybe, but given they had been seeing the Earth from space for a few days already they probably would have been more in awe of the fact that they were on the moon, and focussed on that. (Apart from the fact they had specific things to do. And there are photos of the Earth from the moon. And obviously the moon landings happened. And...)

Seriously speaking, the thing I would be absolutely sure to do would be to complete the mission that I had been assigned to do. If it was to collect moon rocks, then I would be sure to do that. If it was to take radioactivity readings, then that would be my priority.

As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Superluminal View Post
    I'd throw a baseball. But, seriously, here is video that proves, if the astronauts had a video camera, video of the Earth from the moon is certainly possible. At 37:14, from the Apollo 17 rover, a pretty good view of the Earth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQOEC9gHpmA

The footage of the Earth from lunar orbit at 43:45 is pretty good too (and similar footage can be found on all the lunar missions going back to Apollo 8).

Gunzlepug, as a point of interest, do you know what cameras were carried on each of the missions, their purposes and their capabilities?

That photo also demonstrates one reason they probably didn't take motion pictures of the Earth - the Earth was very high in the lunar sky. So the film would be a movie of the Earth in a black sky - what would be the point? The Earthrise film from lunar orbit was much more interesting.

The astronauts had very limited time on the Moon and were there to accomplish very specific mission objectives and goals; there was limited time for sightseeing.

And just to be clear, the video cameras of the time were pretty poor quality and not very portable. However, there is extensive still and motion picture coverage from the surface of the Moon.

Lastly, if the lack of one motion picture in the category you have chosen is enough for you to dismiss the overwhelming physical evidence of the manned missions to the Moon, then absolutely nothing we say here will convince you otherwise, IMO. I also suspect if someone does find such a film, you'll dismiss it as fake.
    Indeed and their mission objectives were observing the Lunar surface, rocks, terrain, core samples and taking images of those. The Moon was being visited for the first time in history a very special time for humans. There was plenty of time to see the Earth while during the coast phases both to the Moon an to the Earth.

Others have shared links to images so it does not appear that gunzlepug did much research.

Direct question for you gunzlepug. If Apollo missions did not send men to the Moon, where did they go when the Saturn V launched?

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Seriously speaking, the thing I would be absolutely sure to do would be to complete the mission that I had been assigned to do. If it was to collect moon rocks, then I would be sure to do that. If it was to take radioactivity readings, then that would be my priority.
    Agreed. And I certainly wouldn't be worrying about what uneducated people decades later thought I should be doing instead.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Given that is has now been demostrated that such footage was taken, do you accept, unequivocally, that man landed on the moon? If not what are your remaining objections?

That photo also demonstrates one reason they probably didn't take motion pictures of the Earth - the Earth was very high in the lunar sky.
    Not always, apparently.

I do not buy that for a second. They seemingly had time for a bit of golf and dune buggy riding, no?
    "Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed, by the masses."
    - Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Really. I see many replies here as disingenuous. So you are on the moon; the earth looms large in the sky. And yet none of you would consider taking in, at length, the awe-inspiring sight of looking back at the planet you left, a blue and white world teeming with life hanging in the dark void all around you.

Too busy? On a mission? Got to collect rocks?

Nonsense.
    - Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Eclogite View Post
    Given that is has now been demostrated that such footage was taken, do you accept, unequivocally, that man landed on the moon? If not what are your remaining objections?
    My objections are that a camera was not pointed at earth during a two-way conversation between worlds. People here seem totally blasé about being on the moon with a disinterest in taking in the view of earth from the surface and filming it for any length of time. It matters not what one's training is, for it would rank as a mind-blowing, spiritual experience no matter what. I think folk just want to dismiss my notion just because it's in the Conspiracy section and they don't want to be seen erring.

And that YouTube link of Apollo 17...the video was not taken from the surface of the moon. Anyway, what of all the other missions?
    - Plato

And that, my friends, is what is colloquially known as “moving the goalposts.”

My objections are that a camera was not pointed at earth during a two-way conversation between worlds. People here seem totally blasé about being on the moon with a disinterest in taking in the view of earth from the surface and filming it for any length of time. It matters not what one's training is, for it would rank as a mind-blowing, spiritual experience no matter what. I think folk just want to dismiss my notion just because it's in the Conspiracy section and they don't want to be seen erring.

And that YouTube link of Apollo 17...the video was not taken from the surface of the moon. Anyway, what of all the other missions?
    If I ran the zoo comes to mind. I post in #19 a question in case you overlooked it.
    Direct question for you gunzlepug. If Apollo missions did not send men to the Moon, where did they go when the Saturn V launched?

Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    A leading question - par for the course here. It has nothing to do with taking time out to look at and film the amazing earth from the surface of the moon.
    - Plato

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    And that, my friends, is what is colloquially known as “moving the goalposts.”
    No, but you wish.

I said "And that YouTube link of Apollo 17...the video was not taken from the surface of the moon. Anyway, what of all the other missions?"
    - Plato

A leading question - par for the course here. It has nothing to do with taking time out to look at and film the amazing earth from the surface of the moon.
    Whether you believe it to be a leading question or not; If Apollo missions did not send men to the Moon, where did they go when the Saturn V launched?

gunzlepug

You've played these games before and we're not going to tolerate it. You will directly answer every single question about the landings on the Moon (you can ignore the silly posts about what posters would do if they were there) or you will be given a long suspension.

And if you just walk away from this thread, you will be suspended.