Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what was the Death Star's laser thinkgy composed of?

what was the Death Star's laser thinkgy composed of?

In the lore of the Stars Trek mythology; what was the Death Star's beam made of....it was fired at Alderaan....and blew it away...was it a beam of anti-matter?

It was a beam of pure CGI! And it could make the Kessel Run in 12 parsecs!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    yes Trebuchet, it was a beam that could have been made of pure hand-waving...but is there any more to it than that?

Apparently just a super laser using kyber crystals....whatever those might be.

I don't think you'll find an answer in the lore.

ETA: You said Star Trek but I'm pretty sure you meant Star Wars.

Quote Originally Posted by WaxRubiks View Post
    In the lore of the Stars Trek mythology; what was the Death Star's beam made of....it was fired at Alderaan....and blew it away...was it a beam of anti-matter?
    The Force.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Since size matters not, Darth Vader could have tossed Alderaan into its star with a wave of his hand, or tore it to shreds. The Death Star beam was just a flash bulb for the photographers.

Errr, I think you mean Star Wars, not Star Trek.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Errr, I think you mean Star Wars, not Star Trek.
    Amy: That would be my boyfriend. Happier playing his dopey Star Trek game with his friends than hanging out with me
    Penny: Wars.
    Amy: What?
    Penny: Star Wars. They get all cranky when you mix the two up.
    Amy: What's the difference?
    Penny: There is absolutely no difference!
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Amy: That would be my boyfriend. Happier playing his dopey Star Trek game with his friends than hanging out with me
    Penny: Wars.
    Amy: What?
    Penny: Star Wars. They get all cranky when you mix the two up.
    Amy: What's the difference?
    Penny: There is absolutely no difference!
    Well, there’s no Death Star in Star Trek, so I think the distinction is relevant here.

Well, there’s no Death Star in Star Trek, so I think the distinction is relevant here.

yea sorry..not sure what went wrong there.

Star Wars.

In the lore of the StarsTrek mythology; what was the Death Star's......
    Star trek? Star TREK?! STAR TREK?!?!?!

Nerd rage rising.......Nerd rage rising....!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave241 View Post
    Star trek? Star TREK?! STAR TREK?!?!?!

Nerd rage rising.......Nerd rage rising....!!!!
    Dude, chill, they already apologized for it.

I might be wrong about some of the points, but I watched the scene and think it’s wrong for a couple of reasons.

First, a laser won’t be visible in space, unless it is coming right at you, because there is no air to scatter the light.

Second, beams of light pass through each other. They do not collimate into a single beam unless you focus them with mirrors.

And then I don’t see what caused the explosion. I assume it is supposed to have turned the liquid into gas but given the size of the beam and the pressure involved I just can’t see creating enough force to make an explosion like that. I think that you might create a gas jet shooting out of the hole the Kase makes as it goes through. Regarding the last point, I look forward to more educated answers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    First, a laser won’t be visible in space, unless it is coming right at you, because there is no air to scatter the light.
    Second, beams of light pass through each other. They do not collimate into a single beam unless you focus them with mirrors.
    The Death Star death beam is - in fact - whatever they say it is - and not one iota more.

It is not meant to correlate with Milky Way physics.

For the same reason: MW spaceships don't make rocket noises in space. And MW space explosions don't make billowy smoke.
    Last edited by DaveC426913; 2019-Apr-14 at 03:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC426913 View Post
    ... MW spaceships don't make rocket noises in space. ...
    Nor do they maneuver as though they are aircraft in an atmosphere.

(And, thinking of the children, nobody has complained that the "Star" in both "Star Trek" and "Star Wars" has one "s".
    In the lore of the Stars Trek mythology; ...
    )
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Why is a frog too?

yes Trebuchet, it was a beam that could have been made of pure hand-waving...but is there any more to it than that?
    Star Trek is full of hand-wavium, Star Wars seems to consist of nothing but hand-wavium.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Star Trek is full of hand-wavium, Star Wars seems to consist of nothing but hand-wavium.
    SW is a fantasy story in space. It could be set in Middle Earth with little alteration to the plot.

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    SW is a fantasy story in space. It could be set in Middle Earth with little alteration to the plot.
    Yes, Star Wars is fantasy, not science fiction.

Sorry, but you all have it wrong. The powers in the Star Wars universe had developed "Attractium". Originally used by the Jedis to attract just-out-of-reach light sabres and to impress kiddies at parties, the Empire took it to a whole new level.

And you can see it in operation in the movies. As the respective lasers pass down that long tunnel past the workers with the black bedpans on their heads, they are spraying it with a large quantity of Attractium. This is so powerful that it causes the light to come together and stick into a coherent beam.

Aimed at at a given planet, it causes items on that planet that must never come touch to come into contact: cats & dogs; Beatles and Rolling Stones vinyl; Ford and Holden cars; West Ham supporters and happiness.... When this happens on a global scale, it's like a matter-antimatter reaction. Result? Global destruction.

Hey - it makes as much sense as anything Lucas came up with to explain it.

The universe was smaller back then and the dark energy density higher, pushing things apart more strongly. Planets just barely held together and were easy to blow up.

Would you prefer Screaming Pixels of DEATH? And no, there's not anything more to it than that.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I was also going to mention that the laser beam appears to be going slower than the speed of light, I'd say.

Of course, it is all handwavium, and it doesn't bother me (I mean, I enjoyed Harry Potter), but still I think it's interesting to point out things like the starships banking into turns and the noise, because people reading this forum may learn something about basic physics from the discussions.
    As above, so below

Yes, Star Wars is fantasy, not science fiction.
    It's fantasy in a science fictional setting.

Would you prefer [The] Screaming Pixels of DEATH?
    Great name for a band.

I was also going to mention that the laser beam appears to be going slower than the speed of light, I'd say.

But didn't it transmit sound back to the source almost instantly? Across the vacuum?

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    But didn't it transmit sound back to the source almost instantly? Across the vacuum?
    Yes, interesting that. Sound travels instantaneously with light, but laser light travels at the speed of bullets!
    As above, so below

Of course, it is all handwavium, and it doesn't bother me (I mean, I enjoyed Harry Potter), but still I think it's interesting to point out things like the starships banking into turns and the noise, because people reading this forum may learn something about basic physics from the discussions.
    A good point, I certainly have learned from such discussions (although a certainly poster might disagree about such things being educational.)

Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    We the audience see and hear from the Omnipotent POV; we hear sounds the characters don't.

It would all be very dull and unexciting if they just stuck to actual reality.

A science fiction fantasy fairy tale, dreamed up by a very imaginative young man (George Lucas) who really struggled initially to get anyone to produce any of his stories into film. Without the fantasy the majority of folk would not be interested in watching. The vast majority of folk don't particularly care what is/could be real or not. I'm very interested in science (obviously) but I don't care that all the laser beams, explosions and so on... are impossible in reality. I accept the films for what they are. In fact I much prefer a science fiction film to be exactly that - science fiction and fantasy. There is nothing worse than a fantasy/science fiction movie trying to portray the impossible as being possible, it really gets my goat.

Quote Originally Posted by cosmocrazy View Post
    It would all be very dull and unexciting if they just stuck to actual reality.

A science fiction fantasy fairy tale, dreamed up by a very imaginative young man (George Lucas) who really struggled initially to get anyone to produce any of his stories into film. Without the fantasy the majority of folk would not be interested in watching. The vast majority of folk don't particularly care what is/could be real or not. I'm very interested in science (obviously) but I don't care that all the laser beams, explosions and so on... are impossible in reality. I accept the films for what they are. In fact I much prefer a science fiction film to be exactly that - science fiction and fantasy. There is nothing worse than a fantasy/science fiction movie trying to portray the impossible as being possible, it really gets my goat.
    Please keep your goat.

I have no problem with the fantasy nature of Star Wars. I find it amusing when people try to apply some sort of scientific explanation to the things in Star Wars that are obviously just fantasy elements there to tell a story.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules