Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Confusing new words I've learned

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Thanks I have found that extraordinary and as my mother used to say about watching soap operas, it is just so I can have a conversation with my hairdresser. Only I don't have one, but if I were to start along that path, I would be well armed or for-woke. So it arose in 1960s America. Interesting.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    Thanks I have found that extraordinary and as my mother used to say about watching soap operas, it is just so I can have a conversation with my hairdresser. Only I don't have one, but if I were to start along that path, I would be well armed or for-woke. So it arose in 1960s America. Interesting.
    You can talk to your barber!
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Yes indeed. "Stay woke, brothers!" = "Be vigilant, and don't sleepwalk into cooperating with institutionalized racism."
    So at that time it only made sense to say you were "woke" if you were on the receiving end of the discrimination. And because it was specifically couched in a deprecated dialect, it was also a statement of identity and belonging.

Grant Hutchison

the new term "woke" confuses me, does it mean fond of PC correctness?
    I probably mispronounced the word on first reading it, but my first thought after reading some replies was yes, be socially sensitive, let the wookie win.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Yes indeed. "Stay woke, brothers!" = "Be vigilant, and don't sleepwalk into cooperating with institutionalized racism."
    So at that time it only made sense to say you were "woke" if you were on the receiving end of the discrimination. And because it was specifically couched in a deprecated dialect, it was also a statement of identity and belonging.

Grant Hutchison
    I feel I understand it now and cannot think of a word, or the word for the opposing state: that is being identified as privileged and therefore associated with institutional racism (which I prefer to call culturalism) of the past and present but with a newly awakened understanding of the sensitivities still felt by fellow citizens. So much to load on a word!
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    Thought I would start a thread for confusing new words learned while reading through science papers. Open to everyone to post a note about an odd word newly learned from any source. Helpful as a reminder/learning device.

FLOCCULENT

https://arxiv.org/abs/1905.00020
    Star Formation Histories of the LEGUS Spiral Galaxies. I. The flocculent spiral NGC 7793
    Elena Sacchi, et al. (Submitted on 30 Apr 2019)

Saw this word in the above paper and thought, "How can anyone tell if a galaxy is flatulent? They can't smell it, can they?" Then I looked more closely at the word.

Google dictionary: floc·cu·lent /ˈfläkyələnt/ adjective
    1. having or resembling tufts of wool: "the first snows of winter lay thick and flocculent"
    2. having a loosely clumped texture: "a brown flocculent precipitate"
    NOTE: "flocculent" is sometimes confused with "flocculant"
    MNEMONIC: Think of a flock of sheep with tufts of wool.

Picture shows what the "flocculent" galaxy NGC 7793 looks like.
    This UT post seems to have been inspired by this very thread, including the googling, the beer and the chemist. One wonders. (Someone keep an eye out for Corinthean sporting debauchery day trips)

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice