Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NASA's moon mission - ARTEMIS

Without getting too political, what NASA should do, and what they are told to do often diverge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by selvaarchi View Post
    Congress might provide more funds if China keeps to their current plans - A Mars mission this year, start the construction of their space station and successfully complete the Chang'e 5 mission.
    They haven't launched a Taikonaut since 2016 and honestly unmanned probes are not going to prompt any major push by the USA. I suspect a Chinese moon landing is like the US Mars missions that always seem to be a decade away.

Quote Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
    They haven't launched a Taikonaut since 2016 and honestly unmanned probes are not going to prompt any major push by the USA. I suspect a Chinese moon landing is like the US Mars missions that always seem to be a decade away.
    Once the 1st module of their space station is launched, we will see China launch their Taikonouts. Their manned moon landing is targeted for late 2020s/early 2030s. It needs the LM 9. No race with USA.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Last edited by Roger E. Moore; 2020-Mar-11 at 02:41 PM.
    Do good work. —Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom

Once the 1st module of their space station is launched, we will see China launch their Taikonouts. Their manned moon landing is targeted for late 2020s/early 2030s. It needs the LM 9. No race with USA.
    Yeah, China's paper plans for a moon landing are certainly not going to motivate the USA to step up their game.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    The article at spaceflight now includes this quote a previous AIG report:

In an October 2018 audit, the OIG blamed most of the delays to date on “management, technical and infrastructure issues driven mostly by Boeing’s poor performance.” While Boeing and the other major SLS contractors have implemented changes to improve performance, the OIG said Tuesday NASA “continues to struggle managing SLS program costs and schedule.”
    https://spaceflightnow.com/2020/03/1...inue-to-climb/

Given everything that's happened with Boeing in the last two years I can't see how anyone could have any confidence in those 'changes to improve performance'. The only bright spot I see is that there are commercial vehicles in development that might be able to take up the slack if it turns out there's some major fault with the SLS that Boeing have failed to find/disclose.

At last we have NASA's plans for the moon presented to the National Space Council.

https://www.leonarddavid.com/welcome...mis-base-camp/

NASA has scripted a 21st Century plan for sustained human presence on the Moon.

In a report to the National Space Council, NASA’s Artemis program sets the stage for a sustained lunar surface presence. To do this, the report calls for development of an Artemis Base Camp at the South Pole of the Moon.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

At last we have NASA's plans for the moon presented to the National Space Council.

https://www.leonarddavid.com/welcome...mis-base-camp/
    The time to get excited will be when Congress approves a plan and gives it a budget, ATM this is just another in a long line of NASA Powerpoint presentations.

"NASA advisers skeptical of agency’s ability to meet 2024 lunar landing goal"

https://spacenews.com/nasa-advisers-...-landing-goal/

Members of a NASA advisory committee expressed doubts that the agency can return humans to the moon by 2024 as currently planned, as well as concerns about the approach the agency is using to develop lunar landers.

At the conclusion of a two-day meeting May 14 of the NASA Advisory Council’s Human Exploration and Operations Committee, some members said they didn’t think NASA would be able to achieve the goal of a 2024 lunar landing given the progress the agency had made so far and the experience from the Apollo program more than half a century ago.

Among the most strident critics was Tommy Holloway, a former NASA space shuttle and International Space Station program manager. During committee discussion about potential findings and recommendations, he said he didn’t think the Human Landing System (HLS) program could develop landers in time to take astronauts to the lunar surface in 2024.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Given NASA's recent fumbling of the whole system including Congress's meddling, it sure looks to me that their plan is a no-go even for 2024. This sure sad, but perhaps SpaceX will land, but they have to develop a lander and I don't see anywhere that plans exist.

Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    Given NASA's recent fumbling of the whole system including Congress's meddling, it sure looks to me that their plan is a no-go even for 2024.
    A landing that soon, given where we are now, has always been a longshot, at least without making it a national priority. On the other hand, the work NASA has been doing lately feels a lot more serious to me than prior “back to the moon” paper studies.

This sure sad, but perhaps SpaceX will land, but they have to develop a lander and I don't see anywhere that plans exist.
    They are working on it now in Texas. Their plan has long been to land a Starship variant, and NASA is paying them a bit to work on that. I doubt they would be ready that quickly, but they definitely have the plans and are working on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Van Rijn View Post
    A landing that soon, given where we are now, has always been a longshot, at least without making it a national priority. On the other hand, the work NASA has been doing lately feels a lot more serious to me than prior “back to the moon” paper studies.

They are working on it now in Texas. Their plan has long been to land a Starship variant, and NASA is paying them a bit to work on that. I doubt they would be ready that quickly, but they definitely have the plans and are working on it.
    I think the fact that the lander program is being handled on a competitive basis rather than being simply another cost-plus contract handed out to the company with the most lobbying power is the clearest sign that NASA is trying to get some real progress made.

I also like the Dynetics lander—but look for Blue Origin to play a role as well...some think that Bezos might be the first to be worth a trillion dollars.

If that is so, he could afford to have a re-usable HLLV made out of pure Iconel or something...

And to pay his employees a living wage...
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

NASA’s next giant leaps for the moon.

https://spacenews.com/nasas-next-giant-leaps/

In about four and a half years, NASA envisions a lunar lander touching down near the south pole of the moon. Two astronauts will exit the lander’s crew module and go down a few steps to be the first humans on the lunar surface since 1972. Or, they’ll make their way down a much longer ladder to the surface. Or maybe just take an elevator.

NASA looked to tap into the creativity of the private sector with its Human Landing System (HLS) program to develop the landers needed for the Artemis program. Rather than use a conventional contracting approach and pick a single company to develop a lander under a cost-plus contract, it offered multiple fixed-price awards to companies that would develop landers though public-private partnerships, with NASA eventually being one of potentially several customers for them.

“This is the last piece that we need to get to the moon, and now we’re going to have that under development,” NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine said during an April 30 teleconference where he announced the winning companies. “Today, we’re going under contract with three companies that are going to take us all the way to the moon.”
    I am because we are
    (African saying)