Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Baby Brontosauri!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    3,510

    Baby Brontosauri!

    Breaking News: A clutch of juvenile Brontosaurus spotted roaming the beaches of Isla Nublar.

    https://twitter.com/i/status/1126147579232817152

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    14,689
    Very cool!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    18,374
    heh, the magic of time reversing mammals.

    "The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

    I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

    The Leif Ericson Cruiser

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    18,089
    Nice.
    But is a single koati a koatus? More than one Brontosaurus are Brontosaurus. (Sorry, it's just a taxonomy thing.)

    Grant Hutchison

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Florida.
    Posts
    5,894
    Apatosaurus?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Florida.
    Posts
    5,894
    Actually, unless it's in italics, it should be just "several brontosaurs" or maybe "several sauropods."

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    444
    LOL and they're cyclopes as well.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    14,689
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Nice.
    But is a single koati a koatus? More than one Brontosaurus are Brontosaurus. (Sorry, it's just a taxonomy thing.)

    Grant Hutchison
    No, I think a single koati mundi is a koati mundus.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    18,089
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    No, I think a single koati mundi is a koati mundus.
    Woke up at three this morning thinking - Darn, it's a coati with a "c". The movie is Koati.
    Muphry's Law strikes.

    Grant Hutchison

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    18,089
    Quote Originally Posted by DonM435 View Post
    Actually, unless it's in italics, it should be just "several brontosaurs" or maybe "several sauropods."
    As far as I know, the ICZN stipulates the initial capital for the genus name, but doesn't stipulate a typographical emphasis - the italics are simply a tradition, albeit one going all the way back to Linnaeus.
    So "Brontosaurus" (as in the OP) would be a genus name, just as it stands, whereas "brontosaurus" would be a common name formed from the genus name. (We do that a lot, especially with plants, but Colobus/colobus and Platypus/platypus are zoological examples of the same process.)

    Grant Hutchison

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    11,612
    Quote Originally Posted by LaurieAG View Post
    LOL and they're cyclopes as well.
    With an eye or their..chest--that's right..chest.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3,199
    Again, it took me several minutes to figure out what to everyone else was obvious. D'OH!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Great NorthWet
    Posts
    14,689
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Woke up at three this morning thinking - Darn, it's a coati with a "c". The movie is Koati.
    Muphry's Law strikes.

    Grant Hutchison
    Yeah, me too. Cute little guys, but unfortunately relatives of damned raccoons!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    10,261
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveC426913 View Post
    Breaking News: A clutch of juvenile Brontosaurus spotted roaming the beaches of Isla Nublar.

    https://twitter.com/i/status/1126147579232817152
    This is adorable.
    Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

    How do things fly? This explains it all.

    Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    18,089
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    Again, it took me several minutes to figure out what to everyone else was obvious. D'OH!
    Well, I don't know about anyone else, but it was only "obvious" to me because I read the caption on the video.

    Grant Hutchison

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    11,612

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •