Thread: I want to be suspended

I want to be suspended

He is the thing. I look at the who's online and a see a couple of patterns there. There is one that seems to happy, supportive and my led to job. And there is another that is being mean, aggressive and insulting. I need to stop looking there but I am a creature of habit and need to get suspended to stop this habit. I think one does not want to contact me because they think I trojan on my machine and the other won't comment on my blog or twitter account because they don't want to be found out. So I need to stop being here until this issue is resolved in the real world. This might just be Pareidolia but a little vacation from probably won't be a bad thing.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

I don't think that should be too hard. There's a thread with the history of suspensions, so you can see the sort of behaviour that will get you suspended. A how-to guide, if you will.

It might be too late for that now. Since he's announced his intent, bad behavior might get him banned.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    It might be too late for that now. Since he's announced his intent, bad behavior might get him banned.
    There have been cases where the mod team can do bans/suspensions that doesn't require a volition of the rules. Maybe if Backroad Astronomer hits the report button, they can do something... gently.

I'm sorry your having difficulties, Backroad. I hope you get it resolved and come back soon.

Phil (The far less famous, but more interactive one.)

It is not I want to leave, generally like it here, I just wish a certain individual or individuals would. I took a 3 hour walk this evening and they were probably there thinking they were getting to me. It is not like they have a say in anything, they just think they know everything even tho they probably have zero knowledge in some fields or just out of touch with others, Like they seem to have an issue with SETI but they are plenty of individuals who study exo-biology and planet hunting, are they all wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    It is not I want to leave, generally like it here, I just wish a certain individual or individuals would. I took a 3 hour walk this evening and they were probably there thinking they were getting to me. It is not like they have a say in anything, they just think they know everything even tho they probably have zero knowledge in some fields or just out of touch with others, Like they seem to have an issue with SETI but they are plenty of individuals who study exo-biology and planet hunting, are they all wrong.
    Is there someone that is attacking you here or somewhere else that you think is also posting here? Or is this an issue where you disagree with the arguments made by other posters? Also, if there are posts you think are wrong, perhaps you could post a response to them?

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." ó Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

If someone's giving you a hard time, you should report them.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

I was having a similar issue. Since the person's officiousness and rudeness never rose to level of being sanctioned, I made him the sole person on my ignore list.
    Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

I understand the wish. I do not understand the strange mix of real-life and forum-issues that apparently can be solved by a suspension, it is too much of a ramble for me to get a clear picture. I do get the impression that something very serious is not going well. Perhaps you can talk to an admin or mod you trust, in private.

That is, if swampyankee's suggestion of using the forum's "ignore" feature does not help. IIRC that does clear names you don't want to see from the "who's online" section, but I might be mistaken, it's been a while. Try it perhaps and see if it helps.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

I can understand your frustration. Been there myself and took some time off.

I'd suggest Report (or PM a Mod) if someone posts something you find offensive. Ignore someone who does this persistently and the first suggestion doesn't work. Take some time off voluntarily. I would urge you NOT try to get yourself suspended.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Guess I will go read another book or two for while and do other things.

I don't know how anyone can make anything out of the OP... I am not being unkind, especially as it seems English isn't your first language, or perhaps you have a grammar disability. But there at least two non-sentences up there, among other problems. From what I *can* decipher, you are perhaps imagining that someone who's been rude to you is logging in just so you see they are there and it annoys you? It almost sounds paranoid. Is this a fellow user or a Moderator? It's dreadfully unclear what you are on about, at least to me.

CJSF
    "Flipping this one final switch I'm effectively ensuring that I will be
    Overcoming all resistance long after my remains have been
    Vaporized with extreme prejudice and shot into outer space.

I'll be haunting you."

-They Might Be Giants, "I'll Be Haunting You"

lonelybirder.org

More generally, I think some users have successfully petitioned the Admin/mods to suspend them lest they get out of hand for various reasons - hasn't BigDon done it a couple of times?

CJSF
    "Flipping this one final switch I'm effectively ensuring that I will be
    Overcoming all resistance long after my remains have been
    Vaporized with extreme prejudice and shot into outer space.

I'll be haunting you."

-They Might Be Giants, "I'll Be Haunting You"

lonelybirder.org

Sometimes I get a case of forum frustration too (not here but another forum), so I just remember what Shakespeare once said, that all the world's a joke and we're all just punch lines (paraphrasing ;-)
    eta that, I found it's sometimes best to not takes others too seriously, and that should also apply to ourselves.
    Last edited by Spacedude; 2019-May-31 at 10:08 PM.

FWIW, and in my opinion, social media of any kind is not worth one iota of frustration, angst or despair. I got along fine without it, and I will do so if it went away. (Bullying and actual threats are of course a different story.)

Hang in there Backroad...if you like this place, keep coming back and try to tune out the nonsense and those making nonsensical noises.

Like they seem to have an issue with SETI but they are plenty of individuals who study exo-biology and planet hunting, are they all wrong.
    Iím just a little worried about that, because SETI came up recently in a thread on UFOs, but I donít think that anyone seemed to have an issue with SETI scientists. I hope it didnít appear that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

This thread has some issues (real and potential) and since the best advice has been given...use the report button or PM a mod/admin...I think it's best to close things here.
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)