Thread: Apollo Moon Landing capsule Eva

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Apollo Moon Landing capsule Eva

Not sure if there is a set format, I sorta just joined to ask this question, since i'm searching for a friend and couldn't find anything.

The question he asked is, is there any footage of the astronauts walking from the moon into the lunar capsule (or vice versa). Or is there any explanation of why they didn't do this? We couldn't find anything on it, and when he watched, he said they just cut the angle whenever an astronaut goes near the capsule. He isn't disputing the moon landing, he's just curious of why it isn't ever shown. I reason it's because they probably figure people wanted to focus more on the actual moon; and less on the capsule interior that had already had it's safety check review filmed in space... But I figured i'd ask some more professional people in case there was a different reason.

Quote Originally Posted by johners12345 View Post
    Not sure if there is a set format, I sorta just joined to ask this question, since i'm searching for a friend and couldn't find anything.

The question he asked is, is there any footage of the astronauts walking from the moon into the lunar capsule (or vice versa). Or is there any explanation of why they didn't do this? We couldn't find anything on it, and when he watched, he said they just cut the angle whenever an astronaut goes near the capsule. He isn't disputing the moon landing, he's just curious of why it isn't ever shown. I reason it's because they probably figure people wanted to focus more on the actual moon; and less on the capsule interior that had already had it's safety check review filmed in space... But I figured i'd ask some more professional people in case there was a different reason.
    I assume he means the actual entry/exit from the LM? If so then there aren't to my knowledge film as I suspect the quarters are too cramped for that imaging along with the guys are busy guiding each other into the hatchway. For A15-17 there may be TV images of entry, but I haven't checked. Have him search ALSJ (https://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/frame.html) for those.

Neil Armstrong took a sequence of stills as Buzz Aldrin made his exit and came down the ladder.

I would be surprised if there was footage of the LM interior. They were there to explore the Moon, not the inside of a craft that they were very familiar with. For instance, on Apollo 11, the video camera was outside and the DAC (movie camera) was pointed out the window.

Fred
    Hey, you! "It's" with an apostrophe means "it is" or "it has." "Its" without an apostrophe means "belongs to it."

"For shame, gentlemen, pack your evidence a little better against another time."
    -- John Dryden, "The Vindication of The Duke of Guise" 1684

Earth's sole legacy will be a very slight increase (0.01%) of the solar metallicity.

As designed, the video camera had no capability to broadcast from inside the LEM since it was stored in the descent stage equipment bay, called the MESA (Modularized Equipment Stowage Assembly). Plus it would be that much more bulk inside the craft and a few more pounds of weight at liftoff, unless they chucked it out the door with the rest of the trash. But mostly it was a "who cares" issue that didn't add any value to the mission.

Buzz managed to take a few pics of Neil after the EVA. This is the most well-known.

https://timedotcom.files.wordpress.c.../02/851501.jpg

ETA: More detail on the TV cameras used in the Apollo missions.
    https://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/ApolloTV-Acrobat5.pdf

ETA2: NASA asked Bean and Conrad to bring back the Apollo 12 camera to see why it failed. The engineers determined that the camera failed when Bean accidentally aimed it at the sun.
    Last edited by schlaugh; 2019-Jun-01 at 03:07 PM.