Thread: Ad Astra: the new Brad Pitt SF movie (SPOILERS POSSIBLE) - does it make sense?

Question Ad Astra: the new Brad Pitt SF movie (SPOILERS POSSIBLE) - does it make sense?

I forgot the name of the new Brad Pitt SF movie, but the trailers do not appear to make any sense to me. It might be the editing, stringing together unrelated parts of the tale, but you can't fall from a space station (how did it blow up?) to Earth and just wake up in a hospital bed. What was the Surge? What's this unrelated plot line with the missing dad with the Maguffin Metal? What was the movie's name again?

Thanks to schlaugh for this thread idea.
    Last edited by Swift; 2019-Jun-08 at 04:20 PM. Reason: title update

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    What was the movie's name again?
    Ad Astra: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2935510/

Part of the point of trailers like this is to leave you with lots of questions (that can only be answered by going to see the film!)

But Brad Pitt seemed to fall off a space station backwards and crash to... oh, it must have been a dream, because he woke up then. Jeez.

- I think he was just tumbling in orbit rather than actually falling to Earth. I liked that they had the actual destruction silent and a musical cue for the moment of disaster.

- My assumption was damage to the electrical grid caused by solar activity, as “surge” is a term used in such contexts.

- Ad Astra, aka Leland Melvin’s catchphrase, although there’s no indication he’ll cameo. ;-)
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

But Brad Pitt seemed to fall off a space station backwards and crash to... oh, it must have been a dream, because he woke up then. Jeez.
    I think (and hope) that he wasn't falling from a space station, but from a space elevator not far above the Earth.

Trailers go through an exquisite design process and a lot of testing before you get to see them. They're designed to hook in a target audience. If you're not hooked, you're not the target. Saves you going to see the movie.

Grant Hutchison

Roger, you might ask the mods to tweak the thread and include the film's title: Ad Astra.

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Roger, you might ask the mods to tweak the thread and include the film's title: Ad Astra.
    Done. Okay, now, you said that this was like Heart of Darkness, so Brad Pitt is Martin Sheen and Brad's dad is... Marlon Brando?

Done. Okay, now, you said that this was like Heart of Darkness, so Brad Pitt is Martin Sheen and Brad's dad is... Marlon Brando?
    Well, I didn't say it, some YouTube wag said it. But it seems to fit.

In the book Charles Marlowe is the one seeking Kurtz, the ivory trader. In Apocalypse Now F.F. Coppola took it all...sideways. Now it's Pitt chasing Jones.

In the famous words of Gust Avrakotos, "well see."

Brad must really like being an astronaut, this is his 3rd astro movie in the last couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedude View Post
    Brad must really like being an astronaut, this is his 3rd astro movie in the last couple of years.
    Trying to escape life on Earth, re: divorce and court?

Trying to outdo Matt Damon. How many times have Pitt's characters been rescued?
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

I tried to find said films but failed. Or maybe you’re thinking of Matt Damon?

oops, yes you are correct, thinking of Matt, not Brad.

Major Matt Damon..Mann in Space.

If movie plots were based on their trailers, they'd ALL be blockbusters.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    If movie plots were based on their trailers, they'd ALL be blockbusters.
    I dunno, the infamous Dungeons and Dragons movie still looks pretty bad even just from the trailer.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!