Thread: Who Started the Moon Landing Hoax Conspiracy Theory?

Who Started the Moon Landing Hoax Conspiracy Theory?

That is the title of a video I found while browsing YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SnUaeMuyB0

Let the viewer be the judge of the hoax believers discussed in the video.

The initial hoax believer is said to be Bill Kaysing because he self publishes his pamphlet on the subject first.

My Aunt Mernie, may she rest in peace, used to believe it was a hoax back in the 70's, she was hooked on the grocery store tabloids of the time, and there were Many.

My late grandmother didn't believe it either. I remember trying to talk to her about it soon after the landing and she insisted it didn't happen. I still remember it because I was shocked at the time. She apparently believed that for religious reasons, and she also had limited schooling in the very early 20th century. Keep in mind that not that long earlier flight to the moon was widely considered to be fantasy or maybe something that would happen in a century or so.

Bill Kaysing may have formalized it, but it certainly didn't start with him.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Glom is offline Insert awesome title here
    Religious reasons?

It makes me think of the old joke.

A small village is about to be flooded by some heavy rain. The army is evacuating residents ahead of the flood water's rise. One man refuses to leave his home.

"God will save me!" he insists.

As the village is evacuated, the flood waters start to rise. The police make a last stop to urge that he leave. But he still refuses.

"God will save me!" he maintains.

The flood waters rise and the man is forced out onto his roof. As he waits there wet and alone, the RAF arrive in a helicopter, throw down a ladder to him and insist that he climb up. Still, he refuses.

"God will save me!" he repeats.

The RAF leave. The flood waters rise and the man drowns.

At the Parly Gates, the man, confused and upset, meets St Peter and he asks him, "Why didn't God save me?"

St Peter replies with frustration, "He sent the army, the police and the RAF. What more did you want?"

From what I could gather, my grandmother didn’t see a difference between space and heaven, and thought living people couldn’t go there. Again, she had limited education (not her choice) near the start of the 20th century, she had no real concept of how rockets worked, astronomy and so forth to draw on.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

I'm convinced that the movie CAPRICORN ONE is what really got MHBs cranked in a big way.
    You had grumblers before, to be sure, but Cap' One is what really got things going, in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by bknight View Post
    The initial hoax believer is said to be Bill Kaysing because he self publishes his pamphlet on the subject first.
    About that--

https://medium.com/every-day-is-movi...y-ec51a6cf3e26

Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post
    I'm convinced that the movie CAPRICORN ONE is what really got MHBs cranked in a big way.
    You had grumblers before, to be sure, but Cap' One is what really got things going, in my opinion.

About that--

https://medium.com/every-day-is-movi...y-ec51a6cf3e26
    Kaysing self published his pamphlet in 1976, while Capricorn One was produced in 1977.

Kaysing self published his pamphlet in 1976, while Capricorn One was produced in 1977.
    Hyams reports writing the movie script in 1972, but being unable to get anyone interested. So it seems probable that Kaysing's work actually helped Hyams get funding for Capricorn One, by making the idea of a fake spaceflight topical. It's also interesting how bullet-proof NASA considered itself to be at the time - they cooperated in the making of the film, lending significant amounts of equipment to Hyams.

Grant Hutchison

Coveluted but it seems unlikely that Kaysing would have known about the plot.

Coveluted but it seems unlikely that Kaysing would have known about the plot.
    I didn't mean to suggest he did. My point was really that the idea was very much in the air in that time frame. I was certainly aware of the "moon hoax" idea when I saw (and enjoyed) Capricorn One in the cinema, so like many people I understood it to be making a pop-cultural reference, in the manner the X-Files would later adopt. And the fact that Hyams had to wait five years to get funding suggests that we crossed some sort of moon hoax threshold at that point, with Capricorn One being very much a symptom, rather than a cause. Indeed, the perception of Capricorn One as being guilty by association with moon hoax belief could be viewed as a sort of meta-conspiracy theory promulgated by Linda Dégh. Whereas (it seems to me) Hyams probably has more blame to carry for the "black helicopter" meme than for the moon hoax idea.
    The movie was just a product of its time.

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2019-Jun-23 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    I didn't mean to suggest he did. My point was really that the idea was very much in the air in that time frame. I was certainly aware of the "moon hoax" idea when I saw (and enjoyed) Capricorn One in the cinema, so like many people I understood it to be making a pop-cultural reference, in the manner the X-Files would later adopt. And the fact that Hyams had to wait five years to get funding suggests that we crossed some sort of moon hoax threshold at that point, with Capricorn One being very much a symptom, rather than a cause. Indeed, the perception of Capricorn One as being guilty by association with moon hoax belief could be viewed as a sort of meta-conspiracy theory promulgated by Linda Dégh. Whereas (it seems to me) Hyams probably has more blame to carry for the "black helicopter" meme than for the moon hoax idea.
    The movie was just a product of its time.

Grant Hutchison
    Fair enough.