Thread: Forum statistics available?

Question Forum statistics available?

I was curious to know some recent CQ forum statistics over time -- how many active users there are, how many posts to CQ per month for the last X few years, etc.

Basically asking about the activity "health" of the forum, if this is allowed and if this is the right place to do it. Thank you.

Yes this is allowed and yes, this is exact right place to do it.

Years ago, someone else asked this question and I put together some data and did some analysis. A graph from that analysis is below.

As I am no longer an Administrator, I no longer have access to that data.

I also recall someone posting about some website to get measures of traffic to a website, but I don't recall any details.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

If you look at the bottom of the home page of the forum there are stats on the number of members and guests there are online at any moment in time. It also gives a value for "active members" (currently 312), but I don't know how the software defines active (I assume either having posted or having logged in during the last x periods of time). I don't recall any longer if any of that kind of data is logged over time.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Thank you!

I estimated the relative amounts of posting traffic now and 10 years ago in the various subforums. I went to the pages line in the upper right and just looked at the dates ten pages apart in each subforum to see how much time had elapsed. Ten years ago there was upward of 4 times as much activity in Q&A, S&T, ATM and CT, and about twice as much in Astronomy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornblower View Post
    Ten years ago there was upward of 4 times as much activity in Q&A, S&T, ATM and CT, and about twice as much in Astronomy.
    That's kind of sad.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

It is kind of sad, but seems to be the way of all forums.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

I have heard it said that many people are abandoning forums like this one for social media like Facebook or Twitter. As far as I can see, those media are practically useless for discussions such as we have here.

I have heard it said that many people are abandoning forums like this one for social media like Facebook or Twitter. As far as I can see, those media are practically useless for discussions such as we have here.
    I agree. I come here to have a coherent, in-depth, referenced and searchable discussion. Facebook is for cat pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    I agree. I come here to have a coherent, in-depth, referenced and searchable discussion. Facebook is for cat pictures.
    Have you seen our Cat Thread?
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Have you seen our Cat Thread?
    You have a Cat Thread here? What kind of idiot started that?

I agree. I think I've said more than once that the kind of extended discussion that a message board makes possible doesn't seem to fit into the Facebook or Twitter model at all. I find it very frustrating.
    Conserve energy. Commute with the Hamiltonian.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger E. Moore View Post
    You have a Cat Thread here? What kind of idiot started that?
    Someone who either has an inordinate affection for felines, or who has confused us with Facebook. Possibly both.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Someone who either has an inordinate affection for felines, or who has confused us with Facebook. Possibly both.
    No parlevous la Anglis, bitte, senior.

Um, anyway, I will try to, um, post more information of use to the, uh, community.