Thread: "Chasing the Moon" airs tonight

"Chasing the Moon" airs tonight

With the landing on the Moon coming up this month at 50 years, PBS has an excellent documentary beginning tonite at 9 pm EDT. I saw a screening of it not long ago and was impressed with their candid approach that shows some of the more sensitive issues. They have many new scenes not shown before, apparently.

This is a 7 or 8 part series, so it should be fairly comprehensive.
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.

Between the Apollo 11 documentary and a raft of similar shows (including the gawd-awful The Truth Behind the Moon Landing on The Science Channel) I am about Apolloed-out. And that's saying something!!

Just to add, I caught a bit of the aforementioned dreck and heard some narration that said the astronauts had to prepare for Lunar gravity in the vomit comet or with harnesses. That was OK. The bit that followed said it was "because we live in atmosphere but the moon has none so there's only 1/6th the pressure" or something very similar. Oh my word...

Even the better shows are hitting some misses. Watched one last night that was speaking of the Apollo 11 LEM descent to the moon...and showed video of the ascent stage moving across the surface of the moon. *sigh*

But I'll likely watch the PBS shows. I have higher hopes...

Two gripes. There was footage of some forged art:
    https://www.americanscientist.org/ar...slamic-science

Worse, an image of a Thor rocket was shown as Explorer I's ride--actually A Jupiter-C (modified Redstone). The ABMA gets over-ridden again. A Thor was even put on the Jupiter-C pad. That's the USAF again.
    http://afspacemuseum.org/displays/ThorAble/

Nice article on what may have followed a crash
    http://www.thespacereview.com/article/3746/1

This starts tonight in Australia. It will overlap the Tour de France so I will record it for later viewing- and thus will be able to avoid some ads.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    This starts tonight in Australia. It will overlap the Tour de France so I will record it for later viewing- and thus will be able to avoid some ads.
    But PBS doesn’t have ads.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    But PBS doesn’t have ads.
    SBS in Australia does, though - it's a hybrid-funded service.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post

Grant Hutchison
    All true - SBS which is showing both "Chasing the Moon" & the Tour de France here is partly funded by the government (apparently about 80%) and tops up its income by running ads - luckily not as many as 'commercial' stations. It runs 4 TV channels plus 8 radio ones in various languages. Originally it was created as a 'multicultural' network for Australia's migrant population (It is claimed we have the worlds highest percentage of the population born abroad at around 26%) - so lots of subtitled TV shows and films on the channels. Plus it runs regular newscasts from a number of countries in their original language. It broadcasts most of the major bicycle races like the 'Tour' and the various classics.

The (Australian) ABC is mostly funded by the government and does not run ads.

Quote Originally Posted by ozduck View Post
    All true - SBS which is showing both "Chasing the Moon" & the Tour de France here is partly funded by the government (apparently about 80%) and tops up its income by running ads - luckily not as many as 'commercial' stations.
    I seem to remember some sort of debate in Australia when SBS shifted to (or planned to shift to) commercial breaks within programming as well as between programmes. Or was that some other channel somewhere else?

Grant Hutchison

I seem to remember some sort of debate in Australia when SBS shifted to (or planned to shift to) commercial breaks within programming as well as between programmes. Or was that some other channel somewhere else?

Grant Hutchison
    Correct. SBS started out as an ad-free service originally. When they decided to introduce advertising (to some dissent at the time), it was originally restricted to between programmes only. Over time, this has extended to include blocks of advertisements during the programmes (although blessedly not as frequently as with the commercial networks, where the programmes seem to interrupt the advertisements instead of vice versa...)

Really liked the series you get to hear some rather unique points of view, most funny probably was from Borman, about Apollo 8.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Grant Hutchison
    Oh, sorry, I misread and thought they were in the US... this is embarrassing...
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by schlaugh View Post
    Between the Apollo 11 documentary and a raft of similar shows (including the gawd-awful The Truth Behind the Moon Landing on The Science Channel) I am about Apolloed-out.
    To quote Pee Wee Herman, "I don't have to see it, Dottie. I lived it."

One benefit of being old is that I can remember "living it".
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by AGN Fuel View Post
    Correct. SBS started out as an ad-free service originally. When they decided to introduce advertising (to some dissent at the time), it was originally restricted to between programmes only. Over time, this has extended to include blocks of advertisements during the programmes (although blessedly not as frequently as with the commercial networks, where the programmes seem to interrupt the advertisements instead of vice versa...)
    Yes, agree 100%.

There is another American Experience series on the moon starting tonight, maybe next i will watch from the Earth to the Moon,

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    There is another American Experience series on the moon starting tonight, maybe next i will watch from the Earth to the Moon,
    The American Experience episode was just the first part of Chasing the Moon.

8 DAYS looked pretty good last night
    https://www.space.com/pbs-8-days-moo...apollo-11.html

Tonight it is humanity from space.