Thread: What do American, British and Chinese kids dream of being?

What do American, British and Chinese kids dream of being?

A poll by LEGO and The Harris Poll of 3000 children produced some surprising results.

https://bigthink.com/culture-religio...ers-astronauts

Space travel was once the communal dream and subsequent reality of 1960s. Fifty years ago, the Saturn V blasted off from the Kennedy Space Center and landed the first men on the moon. Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin stepped onto the surface, while Michael Collins stayed in Lunar orbit.

This exalted event stands as one of our most triumphant accomplishments. The many scientists, engineers, astronauts and creative people that it would go on to inspire is countless.

We owe an innumerable cultural debt to this technological era. Which is why on the eve of Apollo 11's 50th anniversary, LEGO and The Harris Poll set out to survey children in the United States, China, and the United Kingdom on their attitude and knowledge concerning space.

A total of 3,000 children were surveyed. While the results revealed that there was some lingering excitement for space, there were some disconcerting trends as well. Such as the fact that American kids would rather aspire to inanity on YouTube as a "vlogger" than to the great beyond as an astronaut in space.
    I am because we are
    (African saying)

Were those the only career options offered by the survey? It seems like bit of a strange selection if they were.

I know that before age 13, at various times I would have said “marine biologist”, “wildlife biologist”, “mayor”, “Olympic swimmer”, “artist”, “chemist”, “cryptozoologist”, “astronomer”, “detective”, “Radio City Rockette”, “secret agent”, and “photojournalist” before I ultimately settled on “archaeologist” at age 12, which is the career I have ultimately gone on to pursue, and except for “pro athlete”, none of those are on there. I think if I had been asked at any point except my Olympic swimmer phase which of those choices I wanted to be (with “Internet Star” or some other early-2000s equivalent term for “vlogger”), I would have said astronaut.
    Last edited by KaiYeves; 2019-Aug-04 at 02:06 PM.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Bit judgemental about vlogging, that. I imagine that it's possible to vlog without being inane.

There are multiple previous surveys showing much the same results - Timothy Caulfield assembled a few in his splendidly entitled book, Is Gwyneth Paltrow Wrong About Everything?
    The kids in this study were asked to think about their future and the traits they would like to possess: the desire to be famous was their top choice. Indeed, the abstract notion of fame--the desire simply to be known by a large number of strangers--as a future goal ranked well above being kind, successful, having love and acceptance or, even, being rich. And, perhaps most interesting, the researcher found that none of the children in the study, not a single one, mentioned a particular skill or talent associated with the concept of fame.
    Checking his end-notes, I believe this references Emily Bishop's 2011 study, "Celebrity and performance in the hopes of children", which involved interviews with Australian children aged 10-12. I haven't been able to access a copy.

Grant Hutchison

My son wants to be a pilot and he is making progress. My daughter wants to be a vet, so she is going to start taking classes for vet tech in high school this coming year. My third child has no idea what he wants to be.

When I was a kid, I wanted to be Viper Pilot like the people on Battlestar Galatica. I was convinced they were real because they clearly had the same instruments as airplanes. That didn't work out so well for me. But I have a book that mentions the creators of Battlestar Galactica used real airplane instruments to create their Vipers. So, I live my life half wrong?
    Solfe

They couldn't chase those tic-tacs from the City of Light either