Thread: Abyssal flood eruption

Abyssal flood eruption

If a flood eruption occurred at the bottom of the Challenger Deep, would there be any visible effects on the surface?
    SHARKS (crossed out) MONGEESE (sic) WITH FRICKIN' LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

Sea level rise. Changes in ocean chemistry, which would change the surface biology.

Grant Hutchison

Couple things: Challenger Deep is not abyssal; it is the deepest part of the Marianas Trench, a subduction zone. Given that, flood eruptions are quite unlikely to occur there. That said, as a thought exercise, there might be visual indications. An active eruption of a flood basalt, particularly a big one, would probably pump out a lot of gases that might affect the hue of the surface. As well, the eruption would disturb - perhaps quite radically - the overlying ocean currents, which might have a similar effect on hue. I'm doubtful either would be apparent to someone on a boat, but perhaps it would show from space. If you're thinking large amounts of bubbles frothing up the surface, I don't think so.

But i want my bubbles! :-)
    SHARKS (crossed out) MONGEESE (sic) WITH FRICKIN' LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

I wonder how far we may be from such an event
    https://www.brgm.eu/news-media/earth...ng-is-emerging

If Challenger Deep is unlikely for a flood eruption, what would be likely? A rift zone like East Africa?

Most large igneous provinces (flood basalts) were formed at hot spots where mantle plumes invaded the crust. Flood basalts can also occur at rifts.

So East Africa could be a good candidate?
    Any clue where the next mantle plume will occur?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Mazanec View Post
    There are ten or twenty candidates for current or geologically recent mantle-plume volcanism scattered around the Earth, though geologists seem to be still debating existence and definitions. I think this article gives a good discussion of the history of the idea.

Grant Hutchison

Mantle plumes appear to be very persistent and slow. Certainly, they don't 'occur' in the timeframe of a human lifespan. So don't hold your breath.

The East African Rift would be a good candidate, especially given that flood basalts are part of its geologic history.

How about a big flood eruption under the Antarctic Ice Cap? What would that do?

How about a big flood eruption under the Antarctic Ice Cap? What would that do?
    I imagine it would melt a lot of ice.

The mother of all jökulhlaup