Thread: What are the Russians messing with now?

What are the Russians messing with now?

Russian village near nuclear-powered missile explosion to be briefly evacuated

Reactor power missile with radioactive exhaust, or a reactor pushed too close to its material limits?
    Five scientists died in an explosion, now a village a few miles off is evacuated.
    I know we have some old nuclear powered aircraft engines in Arco Idaho, but this sounds like something running at much higher power levels.
    Likely a missile, not a space ship.
    Has anyone found a clue as to what's going on over there?

Here's a good shot of the explosion, hidden behind an annoying robot detector. Looks like regular old rocket fuel to me, and pretty big. Perhaps the thing blew before the fission stage started up?
    Last edited by Squink; 2019-Aug-13 at 07:45 PM.

Scott Manley has put out a YouTube video on this, where he speculates on several ideas, including a nuclear-powered ram-jet cruise missile. But I think the answer is that no one outside of the Russian military knows at this point, and we might never know.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Isn't this the Burevestnick cruise missile they've been talking about for a few years? Supposedly, it's driven by Aircraft Nuclear Propulsion - essentially a jet engine that uses a nuclear reactor, rather than combustion, to heat the exhaust. The USA tried for a while in the 1950s (13MB pdf) but got nowhere with it.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    ....Supposedly, it's driven by Aircraft Nuclear Propulsion - essentially a jet engine that uses a nuclear reactor, rather than combustion, to heat the exhaust.....
    As the link says, with respect to aircraft....

It also would have safety provisions that are designed to prevent the release of radioactive material in the worst aircraft accidents.
    So what's the sense of putting this power source in a missile?
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.

From that story:

'A top naval official later said the men gave their lives preventing a “planetary catastrophe.”'

I find that hard to believe as a fact, the situation/event seemed too small. I do find it interesting because such statements seem to indicate that they are ultra conservative when it comes to damaging anything or upsetting anyone.
    Solfe

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar View Post

Some designs are essentially autonomous bombers, carrying multiple warheads - so you wouldn't necessarily crash the aircraft itself. But if it's a "single use" cruise carrying a nuclear warhead, the engine just makes the resulting explosion dirtier. Part of the fun, I imagine.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar View Post

I think the general idea is that once it's launched, it doesn't need refuelling so can remain aloft until called upon to fulfil a mission.

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Originally Posted by Cougar

Some designs are essentially autonomous bombers, carrying multiple warheads - so you wouldn't necessarily crash the aircraft itself. But if it's a "single use" cruise carrying a nuclear warhead, the engine just makes the resulting explosion dirtier. Part of the fun, I imagine.

Grant Hutchison
    That was the impression I got from Scott Manley's video, at least the part about an autonomous bomber. I gather one use is that the vehicle could fly around for days or longer (since it needs no fuel once airborne) flying a very circuitous route to its final destination. I suppose during a war you could launch a bunch of these, have them do loops around the middle of nowhere, and then send them off to where you needed them.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    From that story:

'A top naval official later said the men gave their lives preventing a “planetary catastrophe.”'

I find that hard to believe as a fact, the situation/event seemed too small. I do find it interesting because such statements seem to indicate that they are ultra conservative when it comes to damaging anything or upsetting anyone.
    Perhaps they meant something along the lines of containment of a situation before fallout could be spread by wind?
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Not Good

The still photo is of an impressive explosion. Anyone want to guesstimate a size?

Quote Originally Posted by John Mendenhall View Post
    The still photo is of an impressive explosion. Anyone want to guesstimate a size?
    The still photo in the Bloomberg article was actually of the Achinsk explosion, not the White Sea one. The Achinsk explosion was a conventional ammunition depot going up, according to the article.

I was going to mention this earlier but it seemed like pedantry, until someone commented on it!

Quote Originally Posted by KaiYeves View Post
    Perhaps they meant something along the lines of containment of a situation before fallout could be spread by wind?
    What's tricky about that is that sometimes people say things that sound nice but are not really accurate. For example, people will say that a pilot heroically fought to restore control to the aircraft, but in reality it's not all that heroic because, since the pilot of an airliner doesn't wear a parachute, he doesn't really have the option of getting off the plane and letting the passengers die. The best he can do for his own survival as well as the others is to try to get the plane under control. But people still say it's heroic. In this case, though I don't know what happened, it may simply be (it seems most likely to me) that they were in the room and there was a big explosion and they were killed by the blast so didn't have a chance to make a decision on whether to try to contain something.
    As above, so below

Speaking of that, the Russians had a Sully situation of their own recently--no Hudson here however.

Now, I'd like an atom powered drone in a gas giant, say.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaula View Post
    The still photo in the Bloomberg article was actually of the Achinsk explosion, not the White Sea one.
    Thanks. Another example of bad Journalism.
    It's possible a second stage contained radioactive isotopes. If they noticed the first stage going bad seconds after liftoff, they might have pushed the abort button extra early because of that, resulting in deaths on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Solfe View Post
    From that story:

I think this quote was in connection to the fire on the AS-31 Nuclear powered mini-sub last month.

https://russianmilitaryanalysis.word...rief-overview/

hushed up.. but maybe a meltdown prevented.. and then there is this one too:

https://bellona.org/news/nuclear-iss...-research-says

possibly third most severe nuclear accident ever, and it just happened in 2017.

Last edited by publiusr; 2019-Aug-16 at 10:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    Scott Manley has put out a YouTube video on this, where he speculates on several ideas, including a nuclear-powered ram-jet cruise missile. But I think the answer is that no one outside of the Russian military knows at this point, and we might never know.
    It's possible they are working on an engine that cruises with air and then transitions to a sprint mode with some kind of afterburner to prevent interception during the terminal approach. Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by transreality View Post
    I think this quote was in connection to the fire on the AS-31 Nuclear powered mini-sub last month.

https://russianmilitaryanalysis.word...rief-overview/

hushed up.. but maybe a meltdown prevented.. and then there is this one too:

https://bellona.org/news/nuclear-iss...-research-says

possibly third most severe nuclear accident ever, and it just happened in 2017.
    It looks like I didn't understand what they were doing. I thought it was a straight up rocket test, not that there was a complicated nuclear component and/or test in progress with it.
    Solfe