Thread: Soyuz launch

Soyuz launch

Just something a bit cool, but a guy I work with has an experiment that is going to be launched on Soyuz mission MS-14, which is scheduled to be launched from Baikonur at 9:38 this Thursday (that's 3:38 am UTC, so 11:38 pm on the 21st on the east coast of the US, and 4:38 am on the 22nd in London). They are going to launch an instrument called Mini-EUSO, that is a UV telescope that will be used to look at a bunch of things such as transient atmospheric phenomena, incoming meteors, and ultra high-energy cosmic rays (which are the focus of the EUSO project in general). Another interesting part is that they can use it to track space debris. I'm definitely going to be watching NASA TV during lunch hour that day, as the launch will at at 12:38 our time.

I asked him about the chance that it would be delayed due to weather, thinking about launches from Cape Kennedy, and he was like, "they don't have any weather in Baikonur."

https://jemeuso.riken.jp/missions/mini-euso/
    As above, so below

They launch pretty much anytime. And you could stand closer to the pad. An R-7 took a lightning strike to the chin not long ago.

Just five minutes to launch now...
    As above, so below

It's on its way, on second-stage engines now.
    As above, so below

This rocket may outlive all of us.

I see it still flying in 2057

The planned docking with the ISS had to be aborted, and they are going to try again (at a different dock) in a couple of hours. I hope things go well this time.
    As above, so below

It went well this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

They had to move another Soyuz to a different port to make it happen. Apparently a problem with Station equipment, not the new Soyuz.

Moving a Soyuz involves the full crew suiting up and boarding, in case they can't dock and must return to Earth. All of which I learned from Scott Manley.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

It is strange--but R-7 is starting to look small to me, now
    https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/in...781#msg1969781