Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Technical question with this website

Technical question with this website

Hello. I think it would be a good idea to always be able to " Edit " any posts that people write.

I have found myself wanting to do so..but after a period of time..not able to do so.

Is there a reason for this? And could it be changed?

Thanks for responses
    Bye
    G
    I am actually a twitter user. Can't edit any tweets once written...drives me crazy. Plus this is a small example of
    what I am talking about.
    Last edited by Gorn; 2019-Aug-27 at 12:01 AM.

edit: I expect you mean people changing their own posts, not any...

Quote Originally Posted by Gorn View Post
    Is there a reason for this?

Yes. For example: people changing their posts way too much long after posting. People changing their arguments in CT or ATM to people responding to them look dumb. People changing their posts so that moderators need to restore them. People editing in SPAM links to websites or viruses long after we approved their posts. See rule 11 of the forum rules.

And could it be changed?

Any rule can be discussed. But I don't expect you'll find a consensus among moderators and admins to change this.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Is there a reason for this?
    Yes. Please see rule 11.

And could it be changed?
    Could be...but not likely without good reason. Why do you think it's a good idea?
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Maybe they could send specific requests to Administrators..then they could decide. Mine are mostly spelling..but maybe small changes.

(Thread moved from OTB with a temporary redirect)

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Some might want changes. Better resulting posting.
    Course some of my experience is with twitter. Not possible even with terrible spelling or grammar
    to edit posts. I have seen published gibberish..but I understand. Looks terrible

Maybe they could send specific requests to Administrators..then they could decide.
    People already do that: they report thread titles or content that would benefit from correction.
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Ok

Some might want changes. Better resulting posting.
    That's pretty darn vague. Of course some people want to make changes. Some people make minor changes. Some people make too many. Some people make deceptive changes.

What do you mean by "Better resulting posting"? Better in what way? Better by how much?

Just better communication. Different wording etc. Didn't know it would be that much of a problem.
    Of course the real or most important problem would be spammers..or hackers.

Plus later additions that amplify argument
    Last edited by Gorn; 2019-Aug-27 at 12:16 AM.

Yes, or for example, imagine that I make an argument, and somebody argues back, but then I change my original argument. It will look like they are making a bad argument or misunderstood. So you might have to adjust their post too. So I think the current system, where you can ask moderators, is perfectly adequate.
    As above, so below

Like This:

Just better communication. Different wording etc. Didn't know it would be that much of a problem.
    Of course the real or most important problem would be spammers..or hackers.

I would sugget that, when posting, you press the 'Go Advanced' radio button as soon as convenient. Several good things happen: first, you get a preview of your post; second, you can ad a title easily; third, more options are availab; fourth, you will have backups avaialable in your session with each preview you run. These things make posting much easier.

Surely if you want to add something or amplify an argument you just reply to the thread? That puts it in context and keeps to the spirit of a thread being a discussion.

I'd also opine that the real problem would be revisionists. Some people already tinker with posts a lot in the time window they have. It makes threads hard to read and disjointed as other people then reply to things that are 'not there'. So I'd say extending that window of opportunity would be a bad thing.

Course, the internet is supposed to be totally open and free. People should be allowed within obvious limits to do anything they want.

It's up to any responders whether they care to contribute or participate by responding

Course, the internet is supposed to be totally open and free. People should be allowed within obvious limits to do anything they want.

It's up to any responders whether they care to contribute or participate by responding
    Good news, Gorn! The internet IS totally open and free! You are allowed, within obvious limits, to run your own forum, where you can set your own rules, within obvious limits. I would be interested how well that works out when you get to a userbasee of a few thousand, so do let us know.

Ok

To borrow a misquote more famous than the original "Wonderful theory, wrong species."

To add a bit to what others have already stated, saying "the Internet is open" doesn't mean that you can do anything you want anywhere. For example, the New York Times has a website on the Internet, but that doesn't mean that they have to publish any article that anybody submits without editing it. After all, it is their website, even if it is not their Internet. The Internet is just an infrastructure with a protocol for the exchange of information. Owners of websites have the right and responsibility to regulate what happens on their own websites.
    As above, so below

I'm glad that there is at least a window of time when you can make changes, because I've often noticed a spelling or grammar error only later. Out of curiosity, what is the current duration of that time window when edits are permitted?
    Conserve energy. Commute with the Hamiltonian.

See rule 11. The technical limit is 24 hours, so that's fine for a spelling fix. (Note however that we allow much less time for a substantial change to a post, depending on circumstances.)

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Out of curiosity, what is the current duration of that time window when edits are permitted?
    It's 24 hours for both content and titles.

People should be allowed within obvious limits to do anything they want.
    And in this case, doing "anything they want" includes setting limits on participation in their endeavors—limits that you may not consider obvious, reasonable, or desirable.

Whoopsies

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    I'm glad that there is at least a window of time when you can make changes, because I've often noticed a spelling or grammar error only later. Out of curiosity, what is the current duration of that time window when edits are permitted?
    This reminds me of my brother's recommendation for backing up Excel spreadsheet development, which is "About every 30 seconds."

It occurs to me that the 'Edit' function could be removed, forcing users to revise posts by copying them into a new post and doing the revisions there. That way, nothing is lost and the sequence of events is preservedw.

Yes, I know, it would be a nuisance for typos. See my previous post in this thread and use the 'Go Advanced' button and preview your posts.

Quote Originally Posted by John Mendenhall View Post
    Yes, I know, it would be a nuisance for typos. See my previous post in this thread and use the 'Go Advanced' button and preview your posts.
    Yes, I do that. Somehow, it often seems that I still miss something.
    Conserve energy. Commute with the Hamiltonian.

Whenever I change or add words in an edit I explain exactly what I am doing and why, as in "ETA (whatever)". If it is too late to edit, I just quote the post in a new post and follow up with revisions as needed.

It's easy to edit an old post if you set it up in advance. Instead of posting just plain text, post a picture of your text with the actual image file on some image hosting website where you can replace it later.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    It's easy to edit an old post if you set it up in advance. ...
    You forgot the smilie as I'm sure this was meant tongue-in-cheek and you'd never suggest circumventing the Rules.

Here's the key part of Rule 11: "... changing content is not allowed! ..." Also, if you decide to edit your post within Rule 11, it's a good idea to explain what you did, either briefly in the edit box or more extensively as an ETA note.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don’t alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

If only I had posted a picture of my text. Then I could have edited in a smilie.

IMO, here's a good example of "bad editing", by the OP.

https://forum.cosmoquest.org/showthr...Mass&p=2492427

Post #1 edited to change content, after someone had already quoted it and replied.

That messes up a thread for reading. I don't claim to speak for grant hutchison (i.e. whether he's annoyed or not by it), but it annoys me to read it.

(Editing to fix the "their" I wouldn't consider an issue, that's just a typo.)
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Wanna wake up every day and be the best clockmaker on Mars.

All Gorn needed to do was to put that added material into a new post after the responding post.

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    IMO, here's a good example of "bad editing", by the OP.

https://forum.cosmoquest.org/showthr...Mass&p=2492427

Post #1 edited to change content, after someone had already quoted it and replied.

That messes up a thread for reading. I don't claim to speak for grant hutchison (i.e. whether he's annoyed or not by it), but it annoys me to read it.

(Editing to fix the "their" I wouldn't consider an issue, that's just a typo.)
    It could have been really confusing. In Glom's defense, they did use the "ETA", so it is clear that the reference from Google wasn't there originally. In addition, though, Grant responded in a way that really doesn't rely too much on the lack of googling. What he really wanted to point out, I think, is that mass and weight are different, and Glom didn't appear to be making the distinction.
    As above, so below