Thread: De Broglie Wave

De Broglie Wave

What kind of wave is the De Broglie wave? Transverse? Longitudinal?
    The moment an instant lasted forever, we were destined for the leading edge of eternity.

I don't think de Broglie expressed an opinion, beyond invoking a periodic phenomenon with certain characteristics. Inasmuch as de Broglie fed into QM, the wave would be a periodically varying complex number in phase space.

Grant Hutchison

Right, and that's why some people object to the term "wave" being used in this context. I like it myself, because I think of the defining characteristic of a wave not that something is "waving" side to side or forward to backward, but simply that you have some kind of propagating oscillation that is ruled by interference. What it is that is propagating is not so much the point, though is very much the mystery. In fact, the more you can't really say what it is that is propagating and interfering, the more mysterious and magical it is, so that's very "wavelike" if you like to think of the term "wave" as conjuring the ghostly footprints of something corpuscular. This latter echoes the concept of "wave/particle duality", and note I never think of that as "sometimes one, sometimes the other" (that's a pretty awful way to think of it), but rather, always shows up like a particle and always moves like a wave.

Indeed, wave/particle duality always calls to mind Zeno's paradoxes of motion, which is pretty remarkable given that Zeno came two millennia before we had any hint of that duality. And if you think modern physics has missed that record-breaking precognition, consider that there is an effect termed the "quantum Zeno effect."
    Last edited by Ken G; 2019-Sep-06 at 09:25 PM.

Thanks Ken and Grant.
    The moment an instant lasted forever, we were destined for the leading edge of eternity.