Thread: I can see the directory structure of CQ.

I can see the directory structure of CQ.

Y'all know this is old URL is still exposed, right? And since it has no index file, the helpfully displays the site's directory for all to see.

There's a comment at the bottom telling how to fix it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CQ404.png 
Views:	93 
Size:	104.9 KB 
ID:	24519

Thanks. It's been forwarded (yesterday, not just now.). I'm not famliar with Django so I'm not sure if it actually exposes anything important, but at the very least it's a little embarrassing.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Quote Originally Posted by slang View Post
    Thanks. It's been forwarded (yesterday, not just now.). I'm not famliar with Django so I'm not sure if it actually exposes anything important, but at the very least it's a little embarrassing.
    The general idea is that - while not explicitly exposing anything important - it is very useful to hackers, because they can infer a lot. They know exactly where the login logic and the user accounts are located - and the fact that its in the default factory-settings location. And they can assume that little more than the most basic security measures have been implemented across the site - meaning most of their standard exploits will probably work. This makes CQ even more enticing, as it is low-hanging fruit - east pickins'.

The risk, of course, is not to CQ itself, but to its members, whose passwords are likely duplicated (or, again, can be deduced) on more sensitive sites, that might hold financial data.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC426913 View Post
    The general idea is that - while not explicitly exposing anything important - it is very useful to hackers, because they can infer a lot. They know exactly where the login logic and the user accounts are located - and the fact that its in the default factory-settings location. And they can assume that little more than the most basic security measures have been implemented across the site - meaning most of their standard exploits will probably work. This makes CQ even more enticing, as it is low-hanging fruit - east pickins'.

The risk, of course, is not to CQ itself, but to its members, whose passwords are likely duplicated (or, again, can be deduced) on more sensitive sites, that might hold financial data.
    It seems to be worth mentioning that no one should be using the same password for both CosmoQuest and for their financial accounts. If you do and are reading this, go change your financial passwords now. (I myself don't always follow the advice to use a different password for everything, but if I do use the same password, it's for casual sites where I don't care all that much whether I get hacked or not.)
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

The buildteam is aware of this and has let us know Django is being phased out.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC426913 View Post
    The general idea is [...]
    Ok. We'll just pretend I asked for that.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice