Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Artificial and Organic Intelligence Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    If I thought I were going to die I probably wouldn't object to the procedure. But if people who expected to live awhile longer didn't want to do it and the state insisted that everyone reaching age 70 be uploaded to save on feeding and housing costs, I'd be against that requirement. Even if I thought they'd still be the same people after uploading and are mistaken now, it's not up to me or anyone else decide that for everyone. Besides, different people might have different ideas about what "same person" means and would see it as a death sentence.
    If uploading is cheaper than sustaining people, it's probably already going to be a well established and routine technology. So, folks' opinions of it are probably already formed, as most people will have already had some elder loved one experience the process.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

I'd always thought of a dystopian future when only the rich can upload and become immortal.... but yes... getting rid of the poor and uploading them sounds like a good plot for a scifi dystopia where only the rich can be 'incorporated' in this level of reality.
    Humans being what they are, i'd suggest that the wealthier/more powerful in the 'virtual world' will relegate their own underclass into a virtual-virtual world one level of reality downwards etc., with each level running exponentially more slowly....
    perhaps after 10years of 5th level emulation, 10^50 years have passed in the the base level and the 1% are well and truly dead.
    "It's only a model....?" :-)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3dZl3yfGpc

Quote Originally Posted by plant View Post
    I'd always thought of a dystopian future when only the rich can upload and become immortal.... but yes... getting rid of the poor and uploading them sounds like a good plot for a scifi dystopia where only the rich can be 'incorporated' in this level of reality.
    Humans being what they are, i'd suggest that the wealthier/more powerful in the 'virtual world' will relegate their own underclass into a virtual-virtual world one level of reality downwards etc., with each level running exponentially more slowly....
    perhaps after 10years of 5th level emulation, 10^50 years have passed in the the base level and the 1% are well and truly dead.
    Would that really be the case that only the 1% had access to the technology? After all, smartphones, the internet and computers in general are some wildly powerful technologies that even the poorest people in a large part of the world have access to.

Maybe in the beginning only the rich will have the technology, because it will be actually expensive to produce just as with computers and smartphones. But as time passes, I'm sure everybody will get access to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyrith View Post
    Would that really be the case that only the 1% had access to the technology? After all, smartphones, the internet and computers in general are some wildly powerful technologies that even the poorest people in a large part of the world have access to.

Maybe in the beginning only the rich will have the technology, because it will be actually expensive to produce just as with computers and smartphones. But as time passes, I'm sure everybody will get access to it.
    Vaccination was invented long ago, but many people around the world have never had it. Uploading (if it's even possible) may be like medical care; expensive and restricted.

Or, as you say, it may (way down the line) become widely available. I doubt it would ever become mandatory, though. What oligarch would want to turn the masses into super-evolving AI?

Quote Originally Posted by Spyrith View Post

It really is a question of the devil being in the details. For wireless phones thatís the case, but if you look at private jets, the technology isnít all that special but still today, only the ultra-rich have them. So it really depends on what path it takes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by plant View Post
    Why? What compelling purpose would the 1% have to maintain a massive and expensive computer infrastructure just to keep dead people around serving no function?

For the purposes of my screenplay: It would 'solve' the homeless crisis in major cities, and eliminate the need for costly prisons... whilst giving the appearance of 'ethical' treatment. Obviously the plan will backfire thanks to a plucky AI who has been wrongfully disincorporated!

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Why? What compelling purpose would the 1% have to maintain a massive and expensive computer infrastructure just to keep dead people around serving no function?
    it would keep the living people happy to think they were getting eternal life after death, and the living are needed to keep the machinery running. At least until better robots are developed.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    it would keep the living people happy to think they were getting eternal life after death, and the living are needed to keep the machinery running. At least until better robots are developed.
    Starting a cult would be cheaper.

Not sure if the "Rapture of the Nerds" aka "The Singularity" believers would classify themselves as a tax-exempt religion... I think they see themselves purely in scientific terms/ futurologists.

I love "rapture of the nerds."