Thread: Security risk message

Security risk message

Since today, Google says the url for this webpage is imitating Cosmoquest forum and is not safe. May steal information. Anybody else have this? (I accessed the site in a roundabout manner...)

Quote Originally Posted by gzhpcu View Post
    Since today, Google says the url for this webpage is imitating Cosmoquest forum and is not safe. May steal information. Anybody else have this? (I accessed the site in a roundabout manner...)
    I've been getting a notice that the security certificate has expired, since yesterday evening UK time.
    That happens with such regularity on this site that I've ignored the warning.

Grant Hutchison

Yeah, same here. When it happens I access from my Apple devices, who donít seem to care.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

Yep, the security certificate expired.
    Conserve energy. Commute with the Hamiltonian.

I emailed Pamela about the situation. I don't know what else to do.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Security risk message

Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek View Post
    I emailed Pamela about the situation. I don't know what else to do.
    And I fired off a Facebook instant message from the Cosmoquest page which in the past was answered by someone named Annie. No reply yet.

I got the same thing when opening from my saved bookmark. The message contained a "return to safety" icon which took me to a Google page that had a Cosmoquest icon on it. Clicking on that icon took me back here normally.

Addendum: I bookmarked the page, closed out, and then reopened from the new bookmark, and it opened normally without the warning. The old bookmark gave me a url suffix including "php" that does not come up with the new bookmark.

I tried my iPhone and it did not work.
    Shouldn't someone watch for this, so I don't have to wait a couple days?
    SHARKS (crossed out) MONGEESE (sic) WITH FRICKIN' LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

The error only occurs if you access the site through a "HTTPS" link. If you use a "HTTP" link you won't get it but then the connection is not encrypted.

The certificate expired on 9/8.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearded One View Post
    The error only occurs if you access the site through a "HTTPS" link. If you use a "HTTP" link you won't get it but then the connection is not encrypted.

The certificate expired on 9/8.
    Even the http prefix fails. I go to the main page of Cosmoquest and select the forum link to get in. Once their, the upper right log-in screen entry fails to log me in, and I have to clear the cells first to enter my name and password. It takes me to the large pop-up to log-in where I re-enter and I get in.
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.

Yes, I get this on some pages. Specifically: Swift's link in the post suspending Plant. Simple answer - cease to look at CQ until they fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Even the http prefix fails. I go to the main page of Cosmoquest and select the forum link to get in. Once their, the upper right log-in screen entry fails to log me in, and I have to clear the cells first to enter my name and password. It takes me to the large pop-up to log-in where I re-enter and I get in.
    That is odd. If you go straight to http://forum.cosmoquest.org you shouldn't see the Cosmoquest main page at all.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

I've seen it on pc and phone. I just ignore and go to details select enter website.

Geez, Louise. This is getting tiresome. It really shouldn't be that hard to fix it.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

An acceptable certificate for a public site is signed by a CA certificate which should already be installed in your browser. It is issued by an appropriate certificate authority. To get a new certificate, you have to obtain it from that authority. They usually charge a fee for that service. Also, since the certificate essentially says it belongs to the organization which is presenting it on their web site, the authority needs to ensure they are issuing the certificate to that organization and not to some random hacker. So be patient and just click on the buttons to accept the expired certificate for a couple days.
    Depending on whom you ask, everything is relative.

Quote Originally Posted by slang View Post
    That is odd. If you go straight to http://forum.cosmoquest.org you shouldn't see the Cosmoquest main page at all.
    It won't allow me to use that address. I can only use Cosmoquest.org, then click on the forum section, then click on Phil's boxing-gloved astronaut to begin the slightly tedious log in process. [My browser deletes history so I no longer automatically can log in.]

[When I enter "Cosmoquest.org" I get https://cosmoquest.org/x/]

Here is the page I get using http://forum.cosmoquest.org.... Nope it won't let me add images.

[Added: If this helps, I clicked on the forum.cosmoquest hyperlink in the prior sentence I all was fine, but if I enter that same address, no suerte.]

The page states...
    [This site is not secure

This might mean that someoneís trying to fool you or steal any info you send to the server. You should close this site immediately.

Go to your Start page

Details]

I can click on the certificate part in the header but it simply states the certificate and that it's expired. No place to accept or bypass it.
    Last edited by George; 2019-Sep-11 at 02:44 PM.

on my tablet everything seems to be fine but not on my (work) pc
    All comments made in red are moderator comments. Please, read the rules of the forum here and read the additional rules for ATM, and for conspiracy theories. If you think a post is inappropriate, don't comment on it in thread but report it using the /!\ button in the lower left corner of each message. But most of all, have fun!

Catch me on twitter: @tusenfem
    Catch Rosetta Plasma Consortium on twitter: @Rosetta_RPC

Well, it now seems to be working properly.

Seems to be working for me again.

Whew, glad it wasn't just me, been locked out for about 5 days until now, here's the message that popped up on my screen :

Your connection is not private
    Attackers might be trying to steal your information from*forum.cosmoquest.org*(for example, passwords, messages, or credit cards).*
    Learn moreNET::ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID

Whoops

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Geez, Louise. This is getting tiresome. It really shouldn't be that hard to fix it.
    I have to agree with Treb, this happens too often and it is irritating.

Please be glad that at least one person is still working to provide us with these servers. Despite all funding setbacks and other political issues. The last thing we need is to annoy our host enough to take the fun out of it and give up. We're not that important with our little club...

A couple of us now have somewhat more access to help out, but this happens to be one of those things that only those at cosmoquest themselves can fix (as mkline55 accurately explained above). And if fundraising, science, health or some other thing happens to take higher priority than our daily dose of forum, tough luck for us. It may be easy to fix, but not so easy to find half an hour to spend on it. Only so many hours in a day.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Pamela extends her apologies for not taking care of this more promptly. She fell ill after returning from Dragoncon, and it took a while for her to get caught up on her emails.

Just got it again. "Certificate chain not complete, or some such." I'm on hotel WiFi, so it may be related to that.

I think it's your wifi - I'm not having any problems.

First port of call would be to use the browser to check the sites' SSL cert.

(Edit: Something in that hotels network is preventing the chain of certs to be verified (they build off each other from known-good roots).)

Generally there'd be a padlock icon somewhere.

Even when we got the loud warnings a short time ago, it was pretty clearly just an expired certificate, and browsers using a bit of hyperbole.

(I note the current cert was only built with a 3 month period, it'll expire before we know it.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cert.png 
Views:	8 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	24577   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cert2.png 
Views:	8 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	24578  
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Why is a frog too?

Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek View Post
    I think it's your wifi - I'm not having any problems.
    Yes, I agree. I've gotten it on other sites since.