Thread: How Long Can The Human Race Survive?

How Long Can The Human Race Survive?

Assuming there are no natural or human made disasters, how long can we survive before evolution "takes us out?" Will we be around to witness the Sun expand off the Main Sequence and cook us? Will we evolve into something quite different or just die out?
    I've read about sperm counts dropping around the world, mostly in industrialized countries. Seems natural, I've never believed humans were meant to be crowded together in cities. Maybe that's nature's way of marking us for extinction or taking us back to where we should be. Barring an asteroid with our name on it or nuking ourselves, I believe we are here for the long haul.
    What do the more learned folks here think?

Humans adapt. We are survivors. We learn. We invent new strategies and methods. And I see our present self destructive tendencies as a historical anomaly based largely on the ignorance of many and the greed of a few. Untenable, self-correcting by necessity, and it'll be/is extremely ugly as it happens but it won't last. If we survive that period, we will have a better future in the long run. We already see signs of overall human social organization slowly changing for the better educationally, interactively, and materially, despite the current screaming headlines trumpeting the worst of our world.

Barring a total Extinction Event, we're not likely to go quietly into that good night. Our distant descendants will be here (and spread elsewhere) for a long, long time.

They won't be what we think of now as human, but they'll be around. Probably speciated by technology and self determined evolution.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

I've made the suggestion before, but it is not impossible that actual humans (as opposed to our distant descendants) might be around when the Sun expands off the Main Sequence. The genetic composition of the modern human species could be stored as data for an indeterminate time, in several separate databases so that errors could be eliminated. On special occasions this material could be instantiated (perhaps as witnesses, or as honoured guests).

Quote Originally Posted by eburacum45 View Post
    I've made the suggestion before, but it is not impossible that actual humans (as opposed to our distant descendants) might be around when the Sun expands off the Main Sequence. The genetic composition of the modern human species could be stored as data for an indeterminate time, in several separate databases so that errors could be eliminated. On special occasions this material could be instantiated (perhaps as witnesses, or as honoured guests).
    Or returning voyagers on relativistic exploration starships.

5. 2019-Oct-08, 06:37 PM

A trip at relativistic speeds could take these hypothetical travellers more than 2 billion light years away- all the way to the Dra-UMa supercluster and back.

Quote Originally Posted by eburacum45 View Post
    Storing detailed data in a readable form for billions of years sounds like a major challenge in itself.