Thread: "The gundy" -meaning and origin?

"The gundy" -meaning and origin?

I've occasionally hear the expression "Give it the gundy". What is the meaning and origin of the expression "the gundy" as used in the USA?

Currently, YouTube videos by the plumber Steve Lavimoniere have made the expression popular among his followers. He doesn't use "the gundy" in the same sense as defined by https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gundy. - namely
    Australian slang. A story that is highly exaggerated or blatantly untrue.

I have never heard the word. If used in the US, and not just a rare import, it is regional.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." — Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by tashirosgt View Post
    What is the meaning and origin of the expression "the gundy" as used in the USA?
    No one that I have known or heard has ever used that term. I think it's something only Steve the Plumber says.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by tashirosgt View Post
    I've occasionally hear the expression "Give it the gundy". What is the meaning and origin of the expression "the gundy" as used in the USA?

Currently, YouTube videos by the plumber Steve Lavimoniere have made the expression popular among his followers. He doesn't use "the gundy" in the same sense as defined by https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=gundy. - namely
    I've also never heard the word. It may be regional, just not here, or in van Rijn or NCN's necks of the woods.
    Information about American English usage here and here. Floating point issues? Please read this before posting.

How do things fly? This explains it all.

Actually they can't: "Heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible." - Lord Kelvin, president, Royal Society, 1895.

Quote Originally Posted by swampyankee View Post
    I've also never heard the word. It may be regional, just not here, or in van Rijn or NCN's necks of the woods.
    In these parts, gundy was a sort of horrible home-made toffee, back when I was growing up. I once threw a chunk out of the window rather than eat it.
    I can't see a potential connection, though.

Grant Hutchison

This is the first I've ever encountered it.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    In these parts, gundy was a sort of horrible home-made toffee, back when I was growing up. I once threw a chunk out of the window rather than eat it.
    I can't see a potential connection, though.

Grant Hutchison
    That's the only definition I could find online (excluding Urban Dictionary, which has some "interesting" definitions).

I’ve never heard or seen it before this thread.
    The greatest journey of all time, for all to see
    Every mission makes our dreams reality
    And our destiny begins with you and me
    Through all space and time, the achievement of mankind
    As we sail the sea of discovery, on heroes’ wings we fly!

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    No one that I have known or heard has ever used that term. I think it's something only Steve the Plumber says.
    That's possible - yet I haven't heard him create new meanings for other words. As a Northerner, he enjoys parodying a Southern dialect (with a yankee's imperfect understanding of that dialect). I'm from the South. To me, "Give it the gundy" means (in general) to put stress on something, usually to put the stress on it by requiring it to do something it's supposed to be able to do.