Thread: 2019 Nobel Prizes

2019 Nobel Prizes

I know several (Physics, Medicine) were already announced, but the Chemistry one is particularly interesting to me.

NPR.org

The Nobel Prize in chemistry was awarded jointly to John B. Goodenough, M. Stanley Whittingham and Akira Yoshino for the development of lithium-ion batteries.

"Lithium-ion batteries have revolutionized our lives and are used in everything from mobile phones to laptops and electric vehicles," the Nobel Committee said. "Through their work, this year's Chemistry Laureates have laid the foundation of a wireless, fossil fuel-free society."
    First... chemistry (I'm a chemist), second this is inorganic solid-state chemistry (I'm an inorganic solid-state chemist) and third, I know one of them: John Goodenough. He was a friend of both my undergraduate and graduate research advisors and I met him many, many years ago when I was in grad school. Congrats Prof. Goodenough.

M. Stanley Whittingham is also very famous in this field, and he worked for Exxon at about the time I was in grad school (our group had a lot of funding from Exxon).
    Last edited by Swift; 2019-Oct-10 at 01:00 PM. Reason: typo
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

I'd say the Chemistry Nobel is well deserved. Lithium ion batteries are awesome.

Prof. Goodenough is currently a professor of mechanical engineering and materials science at the University of Texas at Austin.

“Professor John Goodenough is an extraordinary man and engineer, and I am delighted that his world-changing work is being recognized with the Nobel Prize,” said Cockrell School Dean Sharon L. Wood. “Today, everyone in the Texas Engineering community — our faculty, staff, students and alumni around the world — are proud of his accomplishment and inspired by the example he has set.”
    https://news.utexas.edu/2019/10/09/n...xas-at-austin/
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I know one of them: Congrats Prof. Goodenough.
    So many jokes. But I know better....

(our group had a lot of funding from Exxon).
    No wonder Greta Thunberg didn't get the Nobel this go-round.

Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post
    Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by publiusr View Post
    Within the rules of this forum, I think I've made my views on environmental issues and climate change pretty clear over the years. I do not appreciate the implication that because of a funding source I had over 35 years in grad school, that somehow I am implicit in anti-environmental efforts. I find it personally insulting.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

What an amazing accomplishment! Can't wait until there are more improvements in batteries. Pretty soon we can all be off the grid.
    The moment an instant lasted forever, we were destined for the leading edge of eternity.

Within the rules of this forum, I think I've made my views on environmental issues and climate change pretty clear over the years. I do not appreciate the implication that because of a funding source I had over 35 years in grad school, that somehow I am implicit in anti-environmental efforts. I find it personally insulting.
    Please use the report feature if you have a problem with a post. Even, or maybe especially, if there is a personal angle. Everyone, drop the Thunberg remarks as this has become too much of a political topic.

Now back to good old Alfred's prizes please.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice