Thread: Plasma Physics! The Solar Wind Strahl

Plasma Physics! The Solar Wind Strahl

Hi,
    I am in the process of 'debating' one of our electric universe friends As usual, they are pretty clueless about the solar wind, still tending to think of it as a current. Obviously it is quasi-neutral. However, what is going on with the strahl? This is almost always referred to as the 'electron strahl'. Now, there must be ions around, otherwise we have a rather large current, spatially speaking. Peers probably do not need to explain the q-n of the strahl to each other, as it is likely obvious to them. However, are the ions moving along with the electrons, at the same velocity? It would seem to my untutored mind that any velocity differential between ions and electrons would cause a polarization field to be set up to preserve q-n. It is difficult to find papers describing it in an 'idiot's guide' sort of way. Any helpers?

Cheers.

the solar wind strahl is just one part of the electron distribution function, it is fast magnetic field aligned electrons flowing away from the sun in the fast solar wind
    there is of course no current because of this strahl , because one has to sum over all the electron distribution function, i.e. the core and halo and strahl, and similarly the ion distribution function (but because protons are so much heavier they are "more behaved").
    this (https://doi.org/10.1023%2FA%3A1012218600882) looks like a good paper about this, but i am on my tablet now, a bit helpless :-)
    but the main gist is that you do not need to "neutralize" the strahl, the overall current needs to be calculated by integrating the second moments of the electron and ion distribution functions, which will in fact result in the end in zero current
    All comments made in red are moderator comments. Please, read the rules of the forum here and read the additional rules for ATM, and for conspiracy theories. If you think a post is inappropriate, don't comment on it in thread but report it using the /!\ button in the lower left corner of each message. But most of all, have fun!

Catch me on twitter: @tusenfem
    Catch Rosetta Plasma Consortium on twitter: @Rosetta_RPC

Quote Originally Posted by tusenfem View Post
    the solar wind strahl is just one part of the electron distribution function, it is fast magnetic field aligned electrons flowing away from the sun in the fast solar wind
    there is of course no current because of this strahl , because one has to sum over all the electron distribution function, i.e. the core and halo and strahl, and similarly the ion distribution function (but because protons are so much heavier they are "more behaved").
    this (https://doi.org/10.1023%2FA%3A1012218600882) looks like a good paper about this, but i am on my tablet now, a bit helpless :-)
    but the main gist is that you do not need to "neutralize" the strahl, the overall current needs to be calculated by integrating the second moments of the electron and ion distribution functions, which will in fact result in the end in zero current
    Cheers, I figured you'd be able to explain this. Suffice to say that I am trying to explain this to MM. Might as well try to teach QM to a chimp. Hey ho!

Quote Originally Posted by jonesdave116 View Post
    Cheers, I figured you'd be able to explain this. Suffice to say that I am trying to explain this to MM. Might as well try to teach QM to a chimp. Hey ho!
    oh dear
    All comments made in red are moderator comments. Please, read the rules of the forum here and read the additional rules for ATM, and for conspiracy theories. If you think a post is inappropriate, don't comment on it in thread but report it using the /!\ button in the lower left corner of each message. But most of all, have fun!

Catch me on twitter: @tusenfem
    Catch Rosetta Plasma Consortium on twitter: @Rosetta_RPC