Thread: Robert Forster Passes

Robert Forster Passes

Robert Forster, of "The Black Hole" way back in the day and "Heroes" more recently, has passed away.

78, from brain cancer.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

I watched El Camino on Netflix last night and was happy to see him playing the same role he had in it's source material (Breaking Bad) and right after I finished it saw the news of his passing.

Another actor whose name meant nothing to me but when I looked at his photo went - "Oh him". In the roles I saw him in he always seemed to be a good solid supporting actor.

I hadn't written about him yet because someone had asked for the opportunity to while I was on maternity leave from The Solute a couple of years ago. But I thought about writing about him anyway, and last night, I did. https://www.the-solute.com/you-cant-...ter-1941-2019/

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    I hadn't written about him yet because someone had asked for the opportunity to while I was on maternity leave from The Solute a couple of years ago. But I thought about writing about him anyway, and last night, I did. https://www.the-solute.com/you-cant-...ter-1941-2019/
    I noticed your comment about Jackie Brown. It is not without flaws, but I think it is one of Tarantino's best (I haven't seen all of them though). Forster and his on-screen chemistry with Pam Grier are what make the movie great.

The face looked familiar, but I couldn't place him initially. It seems I've seen him in Supernova and Mulholland Dr., but I have no recollection. After a while, I realized he played Sheriff Frank Truman in the recent Twin Peaks TV series. A memorable performance, and all because Michael Ontkean wouldn't come out of retirement even for David Lynch (good for him).

ETA: I checked Gillianren's article after writing the above. Seems we agree on Twin Peaks, disagree on Tarantino. (I've turned off many more of his films.)

Grant Hutchison
    Last edited by grant hutchison; 2019-Oct-13 at 01:19 AM.

Oh, I don't actually like Tarantino; I wrote two solid pages once about why and stopped there not because I was out of things to say but because the category I was posting under was technically "short article," and I felt I was already past the limit on that. Certainly I'm never watching a movie of his again. But there was something about Jackie Brown that just didn't do it for me; I'm thinking I don't much like Elmore Leonard, either?

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Brain cancer.

Worst way for him to go--he was brilliant
    https://twitter.com/johnsemley3000/s...35864569073665