Thread: Color of fusion rocket

Color of fusion rocket

What parts of the EM spectrum would a Deuterium/Helium-3 fusion reaction most likely put out?
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    What parts of the EM spectrum would a Deuterium/Helium-3 fusion reaction most likely put out?
    Gamma radiation, if I am not mistaken.

I think the answer is that it depends on what you do. D-3he, I believe, normally results in high energy charged particles though the D-D side reaction sometimes produces gamma radiation. You will get light as the charged particles hit others and lose energy. For an efficient high velocity exhaust, you might want to not introduce any more gas than necessary, and use magnetic fields to act as the walls and control the direction of exhaust. Then the effective temperature would be high, so most of the light produced would be above visible, but the amount of light produced would be minimized.

For an interplanetary rocket, you might want to mix it with a great deal of gas for the exhaust. The exhaust temperature might be similar to a fission thermal rocket, and most of the light might be in infrared.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser

So it varies with the thrust?

That's just what I was looking to find. Thanks!
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    So it varies with the thrust?

That's just what I was looking to find. Thanks!
    Not really, more like, it depends on rocket exhaust temperature, and rocket design. Yes, a way to lower exhaust temperature is to mix with more reaction mass (like hydrogen gas), and that can increase thrust at the cost of reaction mass, but temperature isn’t necessarily tied to thrust.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln

I say there is an invisible elf in my backyard. How do you prove that I am wrong?

The Leif Ericson Cruiser