Thread: Birch tar used by Neanderthals

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France

Birch tar used by Neanderthals

I was impressed to read about a find under the sea in Doggerland, a flint tool with tar backing, 50,000 years old. Then I looked up making Birch tar, a survival skill, which starts with “find two paint tins, one with a good fitting lid.” So our Neanderthal ancestors probably missed that stage and had to make pots from river clay. You get the tar by firing the birch bark in oxygen free container and dripping it out. Then the tar can be thickened by further heat. Super stuff, you can bond flint arrow heads to wooden shafts. Many uses. But the lesson is the degree of knowledge and skill to do that. Of course we underestimated the Neanderthals for years until we found their DNA in ours. Their paint tins are yet to be discovered.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    Of course we underestimated the Neanderthals for years until we found their DNA in ours.
    And of course, since we found out we have their DNA, it immediately boosted our opinion of them. Pure coincidence, I'm sure.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright