Thread: Windows Photo Viewer

Smile Windows Photo Viewer

Hello.

I have this program and I can use it to open picture files.

It also has the option to 'email' these files.

When I try to do so it says I don't have an email program installed. That's [language].

Then it tells me maybe that I should go to the Default programs panel to create an association with the program.

#1. Don't know where or what this panel is. #2. What sort of association am I supposed to create?

Thanks for any and all responses.
    Bye
    G
    Last edited by PetersCreek; 2019-Oct-27 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Language

Kind of depends on which Windows you're using, and if you use webmail or an email client.

Grant Hutchison

Hello.

It's Windows 8.
    The computer already had an email program. (Microsoft hotmail.com or an outlook.com extension).
    Not sure if it's a webmail "thing". It certainly looks like a 'client'...but might not be.
    I'll work on it. If web mail...is simply "not" the 'email client' thing...then how do I or which email client do I download? Is it...."Windows Mail?" "WindowsLiveMail?"....etc.

My philosophy is 'Never trust to a computer what you can do for yourself.'

Just go to the folder where the photos are and right-click the pic and 'Send to...'

So in Windows 8, go into Settings/Control Panel/Programs/Default Programs/Associate a file type or protocol with a program.
    Scroll way down to the bottom until you get into the list of Protocols, and look for MAILTO. You want to use Change program... to associate that with an email client.

First step is probably to just take a look now to see what it's actually associated with, if anything, and then clicking on the Change program... button to see what the operating system offers as an option. Either you'll see a client or you won't. If you don't, you'll need to download one - it's up to you to choose.

Grant Hutchison

These are the kinds of "not working" issues you get when you always click "no" when you get questions like "do you want to let program X do option Y?". It may seem the prudent choice, but it's not always necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveC426913 View Post
    My philosophy is 'Never trust to a computer what you can do for yourself.'

Just go to the folder where the photos are and right-click the pic and 'Send to...'
    So instead of letting the photo viewer ask Windows which installed mail-client to use to send an email, you let Explorer ask Windows which installed mail-client to use to send an email. You trust the computer for the exact same thing in both situations.

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Quote Originally Posted by slang View Post
    These are the kinds of "not working" issues you get when you always click "no" when you get questions like "do you want to let program X do option Y?". It may seem the prudent choice, but it's not always necessary.
    It would be nice to be offered the option. Pretty much my only activity in the "file associations" menu is to repeatedly disconnect unwanted (but unremovable) Windows components from all the files that they regularly commandeered during updates, without so much as a by-your-leave.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by slang View Post
    So instead of letting the photo viewer ask Windows which installed mail-client to use to send an email, you let Explorer ask Windows which installed mail-client to use to send an email. You trust the computer for the exact same thing in both situations.
    Except it's always worked from the right-click menu, and never worked from PhotoViewer.

So yes, when things always work without needing to be told, I eventually trust them to work.
    That's the goal of good design. It is invisible.

I tried that.
    I saw both MS Mail and the program I am using. They both showed up on the list of options to choose from
    By default now it's the program I am using.
    Both showed up as options. And when I tried to switch the Mailto: option or protocol to the MSMail program instead of the one
    I am using...it did "NOT" change it. It simply retained the program I am using. Hmm...I think there is something wrong with the MSMail program I
    have on my computer. Control program refused to change the Mailto: client.