Thread: I hate to ask this again, but could someone please science-vet my video script?

I hate to ask this again, but could someone please science-vet my video script?

I know I didn't handle it well last time, but I really really need a second pair of eyes for this one- I am taking a stand against two people I don't know, who are actually qualified in astronomy and astrophysics, and I'm dealing with topics I barely understand myself.

It involves the paper regarding Planet Nine being a black hole

If you're interested, please PM me your email address and I'll send the script to you. Thank you in advance.
    "Occam" is the name of the alien race that will enslave us all eventually. And they've got razors for hands. I don't know if that's true but it seems like the simplest answer."

Stephen Colbert.

The paper is real and from a good university - whats the problem?

Mark

The problem, for me at least, is that it makes no case that Planet Nine is more likely to be a black hole than a planet. It's bascially saying "Wouldn't this be awesome?" Which is fine, except we haven't ruled out that Planet Nine is a planet yet, or even that it doesn't exist at all, to say nothing of primordial black holes.
    "Occam" is the name of the alien race that will enslave us all eventually. And they've got razors for hands. I don't know if that's true but it seems like the simplest answer."

Stephen Colbert.

To be honest, I have a lot of doubts about what you are doing. First, they put it on a preprint server to get opinions from other astronomers (that is what they are for). So presumably, if there is an issue their professional colleagues will be letting them know. It hasnít been peer-reviewed yet. Secondly, they donít seem to be claiming that it is more than speculation and suggesting a new experiment, so I donít think they are being dishonest. And then, Iím not sure but it may be that they have a good point, because in fact we have not detected any big planetary body, though of course itís very possible we just havenít found it. And then finally, Iím not sure why it is important for you to ďtake them on,Ē assuming you mean the authors. Are you their press officer and they want you to write about it but you have doubts? In that case of course I would sympathize with you for the dilemma, which does sometimes come up.
    As above, so below

If you have doubts, do you think you could check my script then?

I never said they were dishonest. But they must have known that if they made a claim like this it would explode online.

Stephen Colbert.

Quote Originally Posted by parallaxicality View Post
    If you have doubts, do you think you could check my script then?

I never said they were dishonest. But they must have known that if they made a claim like this it would explode online.
    If it has exploded online, then I donít see any problem with writing about it. Iím willing to take a look at your script though. Iíll send you a message.
    As above, so below

Ah, this explains the questions about dark matter haloes and WIMP annihilation.

The "paper" is actually presented as a letter - a brief summary of an admittedly speculative idea, with suitably measured conclusions. If it has exploded on-line it's difficult for me to see why, unless it's just the usual hysteria about black holes.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by parallaxicality View Post
    The problem, for me at least, is that it makes no case that Planet Nine is more likely to be a black hole than a planet. It's bascially saying "Wouldn't this be awesome?" Which is fine, except we haven't ruled out that Planet Nine is a planet yet, or even that it doesn't exist at all, to say nothing of primordial black holes.
    I'm also not sure why we would first have to rule out planet 9 being a captured rouge planet before we can speculate as to other possibilities. Because while it's true we haven't seen massive numbers of primodial black holes floating around, we also haven't seen massive numbers of rouge planets floating around. For both, their existence has yet to be determined. So if you are ok with speculation as to could this be a captured rouge planet, I don't see why you aren't ok with speculation as to could this be a caputured primodial black hole? They are both speculating about objects that we don't actually know exists, and both fall within the known parameters of this phenomenon, so whats the issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave241 View Post
    I'm also not sure why we would first have to rule out planet 9 being a captured rouge planet before we can speculate as to other possibilities. Because while it's true we haven't seen massive numbers of primodial black holes floating around, we also haven't seen massive numbers of rouge planets floating around. For both, their existence has yet to be determined. So if you are ok with speculation as to could this be a captured rouge planet, I don't see why you aren't ok with speculation as to could this be a caputured primodial black hole? They are both speculating about objects that we don't actually know exists, and both fall within the known parameters of this phenomenon, so whats the issue?
    What's all this about makeup in space?

Yes, it's one of the standard functions of physics-journal letters, for authors to venture the outline of an unusual idea to see what discussion it provokes. You don't need to wait for other ideas to be exhausted before you're allowed to venture a new one - that would put a bit of crimp on scientific thought.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by StupendousMan View Post
    Rouge Planet was one of Russ Meyer's less successful movies.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by Dave241 View Post
    I'm also not sure why we would first have to rule out planet 9 being a captured rouge planet before we can speculate as to other possibilities.
    Sorry, Iím only pointing this out because itís so common, but surely you mean a rogue planet, not rouge as in lipstick.
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by StupendousMan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    Rouge Planet was one of Russ Meyer's less successful movies.

Grant Hutchison
    Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Sorry, Iím only pointing this out because itís so common, but surely you mean a rogue planet, not rouge as in lipstick.
    Lol. Ok, ok! Though to be fair, we haven't ruled out either a rogue OR a rouge planet as planet 9. Come to think of it, since Pluto and the rest of the Kupier objects are a bit pinkish it could actually be a rouge planet! And if it's also rouge, and it's rogue, then we would have a rouge rogue planet. Or would that be a rogue rouge planet? Either way, I promise to keep my rogue planets separate from my rouge planets, unless the rogue planet looks a bit rouge or if the rouge planet is behaving a bit rogue and then we would have a rouge rogue or a rogue rouge. Sound good?