Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CosmoQuest fundraising for 2020

Exclamation CosmoQuest fundraising for 2020

Pamela Gay, the CosmoQuest Project Director, is working on the budget for 2020 and has determined that the cost of maintaining the Bad Astronomy/Universe Today Forum is on the order of $500 for the upcoming calendar year. (This includes reserved instances of our server and database, as well as data transfer.) Ideally, we would like to raise that amount this month in order to be confident of entering the new year in a secure financial position.

Donations in any amount can be made directly via PayPal by visiting https://cosmoquest.org/x/donate/ , scrolling down and clicking on the large, yellow Donate button about halfway down the page. Be sure to include "FOR FORUM" in the notes section to make sure the donation is properly credited to help cover the Forum expenses.

All donations to CosmoQuest are tax deductible where allowed by the IRS.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek View Post
    Pamela Gay, the CosmoQuest Project Director, is working on the budget for 2020 and has determined that the cost of maintaining the Bad Astronomy/Universe Today Forum is on the order of $500 for the upcoming calendar year. (This includes reserved instances of our server and database, as well as data transfer.) Ideally, we would like to raise that amount this month in order to be confident of entering the new year in a secure financial position.

Donations in any amount can be made directly via PayPal by visiting https://cosmoquest.org/x/donate/ , scrolling down and clicking on the large, yellow Donate button about halfway down the page. Be sure to include "FOR FORUM" in the notes section to make sure the donation is properly credited to help cover the Forum expenses.

I assume that following a donation and then taken immediately to a screen saying the donation goes to the Planetary Science Institute that CosmoQuest is the actual beneficiary, right?

After a donation, I was sent here.... PSI.
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.

I donated and the page said "Cosmoquest"...

Quote Originally Posted by gzhpcu View Post
    I donated and the page said "Cosmoquest"...
    I began by selecting Cosmoquest, so I assumed I was on the right track. The PSI page does mention Pamela and the link I gave ends with "cosmoquest", so I suspect all is well, but it would be wise to mention this in the donating process. Otherwise, Pam, please contact PSI and grab my donation before they spend it on Cokes, or something.
    We know time flies, we just can't see its wings.

I don't want to join paypal for this, but if another N.Z. member plans to donate, PM me, and I could bank transfer a contribution to add.
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Why is a frog too?

Quote Originally Posted by pzkpfw View Post
    I don't want to join paypal for this, but if another N.Z. member plans to donate, PM me, and I could bank transfer a contribution to add.
    You can pay via PayPal without creating an account - just use a CC or a Debit Card.

Nancy
    Forum Admin
    CosmoQuestX Build Team

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I began by selecting Cosmoquest, so I assumed I was on the right track. The PSI page does mention Pamela and the link I gave ends with "cosmoquest", so I suspect all is well, but it would be wise to mention this in the donating process. Otherwise, Pam, please contact PSI and grab my donation before they spend it on Cokes, or something.
    All is good. CosmoQuest is now part of PSI, and all of our fundraising is "funneled" through them and then directed over to us - so all is good.

And THANK YOU for your donation!!!!

Nancy
    Forum Admin
    CosmoQuest Build Team

Exclamation Donate a Cup of Joe to Support the BAUT Forum

To put things into financial perspective for everyone.

If everyone who regularly contributes and participates in the BAUT forum would donate the cost of a cup of coffee to CosmoQuest for your server costs, we would raise more than enough to cover those costs for 2020. So please donate your CUP OF JOE so we can keep the forum going for you!

Additionally, if you are still uncomfortable donating online, you can always send a check to PSI here:

Planetary Science Institute
    1700 E. Fort Lowell Road
    Suite 106
    Tucson, AZ 85719-2395

Just remember to include on your check: FOR COSMOQUEST/FORUM

Finally, if anyone has any questions, comments, or concerns, feel free to message me here, or email me at wshcrew1@gmail.com

THANKS!

Nancy
    Forum Admin
    CosmoQuest Build Team

Ouch!

Conversion rate: 1.00 NZD = 0.62 USD
    Measure once, cut twice. Practice makes perfect.
    Why is a frog too?

I'm on SSI. I don't buy coffee.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Tea drinker ... but I made a contribution anyway.

I made a donation and got an email with the subject line "Receipt for your donation to " reading:

You donated $100.00 USD to

Thank you for using PayPal
    Hope it was CosmoQuest!

Quote Originally Posted by ToSeek View Post
    I made a donation and got an email with the subject line "Receipt for your donation to " reading:

Hope it was CosmoQuest!

I am sure it was, but will verify for you. I will let her know that there are some data fields missing in the confirmation emails being sent out. Not sure if this is an issue with how we set up our "portal" of if it is glitch on PP's end. Stay tuned.

Also, Pamela has mentioned that she is going to try to follow up personally with every donor within about 48 hours of her receiving notification of each donation, so that should also verify the veracity of everyone's donations if these glitches are out of our control.

THANKS to everyone who has already donated...

Nancy

I got a thank-you email from Pamela earlier today, so presumably the donation was indeed to you all.

I wish I had some money to donate. Also the banner that asks for donations makes me think I am not logged in because it has the same background color.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    I wish I had some money to donate. Also the banner that asks for donations makes me think I am not logged in because it has the same background color.
    Once you've read it, just click the little X in the top of the banner. (If you win the lottery and are able to donate after all you can still find the link in this thread.)

Moderator comments in this color | Get moderator attention using the lower left icon:
    Recommended reading: Forum Rules * Forum FAQs * Conspiracy Theory Advice * Alternate Theory Advocates Advice

Quote Originally Posted by The Backroad Astronomer View Post
    There doesn't seem to be any way to change the background color, but, as slang notes, the notice is easy to get rid of.

When I read the forums on my phone using Tapatalk, Iím flooded with advertisements. Please tell me that some of that revenue finds its way to CQ.

Regardless, I plan to donate once I have access to my home computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    When I read the forums on my phone using Tapatalk, Iím flooded with advertisements. Please tell me that some of that revenue finds its way to CQ.

Regardless, I plan to donate once I have access to my home computer.

Honestly, regarding ads on Tapatalk, I am not sure, but I will check with Pamela (I wouldn't hold my breath, however...) I will get back to you once I have an answer.

And to everyone who has donated so far, THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!! Every cent that has been - and will be - donated is greatly appreciated by everyone at CQX.

Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post

I just confirmed with Pamela that the revenue from the ads on Tapatalk goes directly back to Tapatalk.

BUT, as she also pointed out, that revenue is used for their developers to update/maintain/improve Tapatalk, so all is good sinc you use the app WISELY to access this forum here!

Nancy

There's a paid version of Tapatalk for Android for $14.99 that probably doesn't have ads. I haven't tried Tapatalk myself.

Folks,

With just 11 days remaining in the month, we have reached 58 percent of our goal. Thank you to all who have made contributions to keep our forum up and running. If you haven't donated yet, please consider doing so. Large or small, your donation will matter.

Donations in any amount can be made directly via PayPal by visiting https://cosmoquest.org/x/donate/. Scroll down and click on the large, yellow Donate button about halfway down the page. Be sure to include "FOR FORUM" in the notes section to make sure your donation is properly credited to help cover the Forum expenses.

Thanks!
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. ó Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Ok, just donated.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Ok, just donated.
    THANK YOU - and THANK YOU to everyone else who has donated to date!!!

Remember, every cent of every donation goes directly to covering the necessary costs to keep THIS FORUM alive and kicking for YOU. It goes NOWHERE ELSE. So if you value the information and discussions that are at the heart of this forum, it would behoove each and every one of you who is financially able to do so to donate what you can to keep it up and running.

I know it sounds like a hackneyed series of phrases, but no donation is too small, and every dollar donated really does make a significant dent in covering the costs of running this for you.

If you want the forum to be here for you through 2020, please donate what you can.

Nancy
    CosmoQuest Build Team

So... we're going to have to struggle up to $500 each year from now on?

CJSF
    "Flipping this one final switch I'm effectively ensuring that I will be
    Overcoming all resistance long after my remains have been
    Vaporized with extreme prejudice and shot into outer space.

I'll be haunting you."

-They Might Be Giants, "I'll Be Haunting You"

lonelybirder.org

Quote Originally Posted by CJSF View Post
    So... we're going to have to struggle up to $500 each year from now on?

CJSF
    Possibly. Not necessarily. If CosmoQuest is able to secure sufficient funding through Grants, Patreons, etc., this may not be an issue in the future. Pamela has been burning the candle at both ends writing Grant Proposals on top of all of her other duties. But we cannot count on this.

But the harsh reality here is there is a sufficiently large pool of active users on this forum that I am honestly ASTONISHED that it HAS been such a struggle to get to $500. I mean come on people - even if there were only 50 active users here (and there are more than that) and each of those 50 donated only $10 to our campaign, we would already be at our goal. I am sure most people here spend $10 once or twice a month on something frivolous - yet many of those same individuals would often complain about being asked to donate that same $10 one time a year to keep this operating.

Sorry to be so blunt, but the truth often hurts. And I do get it - there are some who struggle for the necessities in life, and it is not to them that I am directing these comments. It is to those who are financially able to chip in $10 without hardship that I am speaking.

Nancy

I suppose Nancy is right, though I would not try to assume who can help in what capacity. I'll be chipping in myself, regardless. I would also hope that this is not indicative of the true interest we collectively have in this community, but you see what it is.

CJSF
    "Flipping this one final switch I'm effectively ensuring that I will be
    Overcoming all resistance long after my remains have been
    Vaporized with extreme prejudice and shot into outer space.

I'll be haunting you."

-They Might Be Giants, "I'll Be Haunting You"

lonelybirder.org

Hi,
    I set a monthly pledge on Patreon, but I don't know if I earmarked it for the forum. Is there a way I can do that?

THANK YOU CJSF - as I mentioned, I know not everyone is in the same financial situation, and I would never presume to think that everyone here is able to contribute financially. Just trying to get the point across that a greater number of small donations often exceeds a minimal number of large/huge donations.

Quote Originally Posted by spjung View Post
    Hi,
    I set a monthly pledge on Patreon, but I don't know if I earmarked it for the forum. Is there a way I can do that?
    Let me check on that for you. Can you DM me your "user name" on Patreon so I can have Pamela look for your pledge?

Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by spjung View Post
    Hi,
    I just asked Pamela - she said to send a message to this effect ^^^^ through Patreon and that should do the trick.

Nancy