Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CosmoQuest fundraising for 2020

THANK YOU to everyone who has made a donation in the last couple of hours! We are tracking all donations, and everyone will receive a personal thank you from Pamela within the next 48 hours or so.

Also, as an incentive, if we can manage to sufficiently raise enough over and above our stated $500 goal, we will be reserving server space and all associated resources for 3 years, not just 1.

THANKS AGAIN!

Nancy

Are we over the goal yet? Should be.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
    Are we over the goal yet? Should be.
    We are getting there - but keep in mind that if we DO exceed our goal, it is better in the long run since we can then use the extra to reserve our servers for a longer term at a reduced rate, and we won't have to go through this exercise for a couple of year.

-=/\/=-

Can I be blunt, too? It is extremely rude to go on about what we can give up in exchange for something that has been a free service for as long as the forum has. You're right; you don't know the financial situation of everyone here. For all you know, there are members whose time on the board is entirely at public libraries because they are themselves without internet access any other way. I can tell you for absolute certainty that there are members for whom "something frivolous" is buying shoes for themselves instead of for their kids. Shaming people just makes them angry; it doesn't make them contribute to your goal.

I will say that I'd be at least somewhat likely to buy themed merchandise, especially if it had the old BAUT logo or something on it, with what disposable income I have. But I have $25.66 left in my bank account for the rest of the month, and if I choose to spend it going to lunch with my best friend, that's an important use of it to me.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Do I get a rules infraction forgiveness for donating?

I put the "for forum" note on the PayPal page, I hope that's where it belongs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearded One View Post
    Do I get a rules infraction forgiveness for donating?

I put the "for forum" note on the PayPal page, I hope that's where it belongs.
    LOL Bearded One!

THANK YOU for the donation - and it sounds as if you put the note in the correct place!

Nancy

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Can I be blunt, too? It is extremely rude to go on about what we can give up in exchange for something that has been a free service for as long as the forum has. You're right; you don't know the financial situation of everyone here. For all you know, there are members whose time on the board is entirely at public libraries because they are themselves without internet access any other way. I can tell you for absolute certainty that there are members for whom "something frivolous" is buying shoes for themselves instead of for their kids. Shaming people just makes them angry; it doesn't make them contribute to your goal.

I will say that I'd be at least somewhat likely to buy themed merchandise, especially if it had the old BAUT logo or something on it, with what disposable income I have. But I have $25.66 left in my bank account for the rest of the month, and if I choose to spend it going to lunch with my best friend, that's an important use of it to me.
    That's pretty harsh, Gillian, especially given that nancygraz explicitly noted that she knew some members cannot afford to donate and explicitly directed her 'blunt' comment to those that could afford to donate.

Quote Originally Posted by geonuc View Post
    That's pretty harsh, Gillian, especially given that nancygraz explicitly noted that she knew some members cannot afford to donate and explicitly directed her 'blunt' comment to those that could afford to donate.
    This thread isn't the place for such a discussion. And to anyone who might be tempted to continue this line of discussion: please drop it.
    Last edited by PetersCreek; 2019-Nov-22 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Clarification
    Forum Rules►  ◄FAQ►  ◄ATM Forum Advice►  ◄Conspiracy Advice
    Click http://cosmoquest.org/forum/images/buttons/report-40b.png to report a post (even this one) to the moderation team.

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Quote Originally Posted by nancygraz View Post
    I just asked Pamela - she said to send a message to this effect ^^^^ through Patreon and that should do the trick.

Nancy
    OK, I did both. Thanks.

Donated my fair share. All the best to Pamela and the rest of the team.
    “Of all the sciences cultivated by mankind, Astronomy is acknowledged to be, and undoubtedly is, the most sublime, the most interesting, and the most useful. For, by knowledge derived from this science, not only the bulk of the Earth is discovered, but our very faculties are enlarged with the grandeur of the ideas it conveys, our minds exalted above their low contracted prejudices.” - James Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery Phoenix View Post
    Donated my fair share. All the best to Pamela and the rest of the team.
    THANK YOU!!!! We all appreciate it!

Nancy

Exclamation Dollar-for-Dollar Matching Announced

Hi all,

We are in the home stretch of our Server Funding Drive, and are VERY excited to announce that an anonymous benefactor has stepped forward today with the very generous offer of DOLLAR-FOR-DOLLAR MATCHING FUNDS for the first $140 donated between now and the end of the month.

That's right - we could conceivably raise another $280 which would allow CosmoQuest to reserve three years' worth of server time and space for this forum.

If you have been thinking about donating, this might be the time to do so since you will double your impact. Don't forget to include FOR FORUM in the PayPal Notes section, and remember, all donations to CosmoQuest are tax deductible where allowed by the IRS.

And again, for everyone at CQX, let me say THANK YOU to everyone in the forum. We do appreciate all of you.

Nancy

I already donated but since someone's going to match, I kicked in a few more bucks.

I already donated but since someone's going to match, I kicked in a few more bucks.
    Me too.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Me too.
    THANK YOU BOTH!!! We really do have an awesome community here!!!

-=/\/=-

This will probably be one of the dumbest questions ever asked on the forum but how would one donate via snail mail by personal check? Being an old timer I don't deal with paypal, bitcoin, etc. Thanks, and thanks for this forum!

CosmoQuest fundraising for 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Spacedude View Post
    This will probably be one of the dumbest questions ever asked on the forum but how would one donate via snail mail by personal check? Being an old timer I don't deal with paypal, bitcoin, etc. Thanks, and thanks for this forum!
    Here you go.

Additionally, if you are still uncomfortable donating online, you can always send a check to PSI here:

Planetary Science Institute
    1700 E. Fort Lowell Road
    Suite 106
    Tucson, AZ 85719-2395

Just remember to include on your check: FOR COSMOQUEST/FORUM

Thanks Schlaugh, that post slipped by me. Check is in the mail.

Admins, you might want to change the big yellow banner on the main page. It still says something about eleven days left in the month.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Any updates? What's our funding status?
    “Of all the sciences cultivated by mankind, Astronomy is acknowledged to be, and undoubtedly is, the most sublime, the most interesting, and the most useful. For, by knowledge derived from this science, not only the bulk of the Earth is discovered, but our very faculties are enlarged with the grandeur of the ideas it conveys, our minds exalted above their low contracted prejudices.” - James Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery Phoenix View Post
    Any updates? What's our funding status?
    Last I checked, Pamela was still tallying everything - plus we have at least one paper check that has been sent that needs to be included. Let me ping her to get a figure right now and will post it as soon as I have it. I do believe, however, that we exceeded our goal of raising enough for 3 years of servers.

Hang tight.

Nancy

Update: Fundraising total

I am more than thrilled to announce that $1400 has been raised by the members of this community to go toward server costs. This will allow us to reserve 3 YEARS of service at a reduced rate, plus do a few more things to enhance the overall forum experience.

I do believe there is at least one more donation in the mail, so our total will go up, but right now I do want to say:

THANK YOU EVERYONE, AND WELL DONE!!!!
    We absolutely have an amazing community here, with awesome admins and mods, and I am pleased that the forum will continue to thrive.

Nancy
    CosmoQuest Build Team

Congrats. Three more years of me making weird posts and combining posts because I don't feel like splitting something up. But this is good new this place does allow a certain community to communicate just wish I could of helped.
    From the wilderness into the cosmos.
    You can not be afraid of the wind, Enterprise: Broken Bow.
    https://davidsuniverse.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    Admins, you might want to change the big yellow banner on the main page. It still says something about eleven days left in the month.
    I've disabled the notice.
    Everything I need to know I learned through Googling.

I am more than thrilled to announce that $1400 has been raised by the members of this community to go toward server costs. This will allow us to reserve 3 YEARS of service at a reduced rate, plus do a few more things to enhance the overall forum experience.

I do believe there is at least one more donation in the mail, so our total will go up, but right now I do want to say:

THANK YOU EVERYONE, AND WELL DONE!!!!
    We absolutely have an amazing community here, with awesome admins and mods, and I am pleased that the forum will continue to thrive.

Nancy
    CosmoQuest Build Team
    Good news!
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.