Thread: Faucet restrictors

Faucet restrictors

Do kitchen and bathroom faucets in most countries have built-in restrictors?

In the USA, most modern faucets have "restrictors" to limit the flow rate. Sometimes these are in the aerator of the faucet, but sometimes they are built into the valves. The outward visual appearance of the spout of a faucet for sale in the USA cannot be used to judge how quickly water will flow through it.

I suppose a faucet could be designed to limit the flow rate without having only one part of it designated to be a restrictor. One feature of having a designated restrictor is that ( in the USA) people find ways to remove it.
    Last edited by tashirosgt; 2019-Nov-03 at 09:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tashirosgt View Post
    Do kitchen and bathroom faucets in most countries have built-in restrictors?

In the USA, most modern faucets have "restrictors" to limit the flow rate. Sometimes these are in the aerator of the faucet, but sometimes they are built into the valves. The outward visual appearance of the spout of a faucet for sale in the USA cannot be used to judge how quickly water will flow through it.

I suppose a faucet could be designed to limit the flow rate without having only one part of it designated to be a restrictor. On feature of having a designated restrictor is that ( in the USA) people find ways to remove it.
    In the UK, you can buy and fit them separately.

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by tashirosgt View Post
    I suppose a faucet could be designed to limit the flow rate without having only one part of it designated to be a restrictor. On feature of having a designated restrictor is that ( in the USA) people find ways to remove it.
    And I'm one of those people.

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Most modern faucets or taps as we call them, use polished ceramic discs with tapered holes so that the action of the handle is progressive towards maximum flow. The actual maximum flow is of course restricted by all the piping and the water pressure and if restriction is required the best place is before the faucet in the form of a small hole or a pressure regulator. The type which screw onto the final nozzle is more to pacify the form of the flow. Being small parallel passageways they are easily blocked with debris or calcium and so then they do restrict the flow and should be taken off and cleaned.
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by profloater View Post
    ... easily blocked with debris or calcium and so then they do restrict the flow and should be taken off and cleaned.
    Yup, that's the kind we've got.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by ignorance or stupidity.
    Isaac Asimov

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They donít alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views.
    Doctor Who

Moderation will be in purple.
    Rules for Posting to This Board