Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it just me or has Generation X ceased to exist?

Quote Originally Posted by grant hutchison View Post
    ETA: If you want me to show you how to turn off that "Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk" advertisement you've been tricked into distributing (by some stalwart Gen X programmer, no doubt) I can show you how.
    Lol. I can change my signature but you can call me a lazy programmer thus I'll do things on the need basis only.

Quote Originally Posted by philippeb8 View Post
    Lol. I can change my signature but you can call me a lazy programmer thus I'll do things on the need basis only.
    Honestly, you need to turn that off. Letting someone else advertise in your sig for free? That's just so Gen X.

Grant Hutchison

Anyway I do not wish to start a debate but just stick to my advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Itís not an issue of debate. You insulted lots of people with your generational narcissism, and now you are just saying that you donít want to talk about it anymore.
    As above, so below

Quote Originally Posted by Jens View Post
    Itís not an issue of debate. You insulted lots of people with your generational narcissism, and now you are just saying that you donít want to talk about it anymore.
    Well I apologise but it was more of a counter-attack towards the fact the OP said we accomplished nothing.

Well I apologise but it was more of a counter-attack towards the fact the OP said we accomplished nothing.
    Did you notice that the OP is a Gen Xer?

Grant Hutchison

Did you notice that the OP is a Gen Xer?

Grant Hutchison
    Ok then Iím not sure what he was doing back in the 70ís, 80ís & 90ís because a lot happened then!

(I did turn off the automatic signature)

Good point. Stallman invented the Free Software Foundation and consequently the POSIX standards and my appreciations for that.

But please look at how the code these days is a lot more complicated:
    How is that relevant?

Ok then I’m not sure what he was doing back in the 70’s, 80’s & 90’s because a lot happened then!
    Yeah, a lot happens every year.

So there was really no justification for a "counter-attack" against Boomers and Millennials, I guess?

Grant Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    How is that relevant?
    Itís just evidence we are putting in a lot of efforts and to do so we need to put our pride aside.

Yeah, a lot happens every year.

So there was really no justification for a "counter-attack" against Boomers and Millennials, I guess?

Grant Hutchison
    No this becomes an internal meeting between Gen Xers...

Thanks. Personally Iím a boomer it seems, but at the tail end, and for the record I do not agree with the OP about gen X not doing anything. There are lots of people in any generation who accomplish relatively little of great interest, but I think there are people in any generation that do, and I think the categorization is somewhat artificial anyways. Personally I think the generalizations about age groups, ie that babies of any generation tend to cry a lot, that teenagers tend to be rebellious, are much more instructive than hard differences between people born in certain eras.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    As above, so below

I can name great people of any generation; the only reason it gets harder with the younger generations is that they haven't had as much time to show their greatness. I can also name awful people of any generation, ditto.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

As has been pointed out in earlier posts, the generational divide has been around forever.

That said, there seems to be an effort to specifically pit "Boomers" and "Millennials" against each other.
    This seems to be a subset of the "us" vs "them" mentality that is permeating society as a whole.

Apparently, there can be only two teams, with Us=good, and Them=bad.
    So, there is no room for Gen-X in this great divide. Those folks will just have to pick a side

Personally, I don't buy into it. I know enough people across a wide enough age spread to realize this is all bunk.

OT for Grant: I learned that Tapatalk exists for the Iphone from someone's sig line, and use the app frequently.
    It isn't great, but much better on a small screen than the web interface for this forum. I have no trouble giving them a little free advertising, as I didn't have to pay for the app.
    I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them. - Jimmy Hoffa

Norfolk UK and some of me is in Northern France
    Here is a non scientific sample. We are having an election here in UK and the broadcasters have been interviewing voters. I am a boomer, I get my news from long established broadcasters and newspapers. I rarely use social media. I have been struck by many interviews on "my" media of millenials who claim to get their news only from social media and expressly avoid my sources. This split is surely different from previous generations? I have no idea of the voting effect but maybe it is profound, or not?
    sicut vis videre esto
    When we realize that patterns don't exist in the universe, they are a template that we hold to the universe to make sense of it, it all makes a lot more sense.
    Originally Posted by Ken G

Quote Originally Posted by Extravoice View Post
    OT for Grant: I learned that Tapatalk exists for the Iphone from someone's sig line, and use the app frequently.
    It isn't great, but much better on a small screen than the web interface for this forum. I have no trouble giving them a little free advertising, as I didn't have to pay for the app.
    I was, of course, teasing philippeb8 for propagating a stereotypical view of Boomers while conforming to a stereotypical view of Gen Xers.

I do generally object to being used as free advertising space by default (and that's not limited to tech companies), and I do have issues with TapaTalk that extend well beyond their default sig - but discussing either of those here would be be a significant derailment of a thread that has already been sent skidding through the trackside gravel.

Grant Hutchison

As has been pointed out in earlier posts, the generational divide has been around forever.

That said, there seems to be an effort to specifically pit "Boomers" and "Millennials" against each other.
    This seems to be a subset of the "us" vs "them" mentality that is permeating society as a whole.

Apparently, there can be only two teams, with Us=good, and Them=bad.
    So, there is no room for Gen-X in this great divide. Those folks will just have to pick a side

Personally, I don't buy into it. I know enough people across a wide enough age spread to realize this is all bunk.

I wonder, since we can't be divided by race or gender or various other characteristics, if generation is the new divider. There always seems to be a general need for Us vs. Them (at least it makes good press).

I also find it completely useless. Prejudice literally comes from "pre-judge". I'll stick with judging individuals as I meet them.
    At night the stars put on a show for free (Carole King)

All moderation in purple - The rules

Is it just me or has Generation X ceased to exist?

Quote Originally Posted by Swift View Post
    I wonder, since we can't be divided by race or gender or various other characteristics, if generation is the new divider. There always seems to be a general need for Us vs. Them (at least it makes good press).

I also find it completely useless. Prejudice literally comes from "pre-judge". I'll stick with judging individuals as I meet them.
    Political correctness tells us we canít be divided by gender, race, etc.

But the reality is we all live in a different environment, therefore adapt and develop different strengths and weaknesses.

For example men are physically stronger than women because we were hunting, fighting, etc. for millions of years. Women are emotionally perfectionists and more communicative.

My general equation is:

Performance = DNA * Innate * Acquired * Willpower

The generational factor resides in ďacquiredĒ by what you learned and the environment that helped develop your brain. If you learned nothing then chances are you will accomplish nothing. Period.

But despite where youíre from or what gender you are, if you have enough willpower then you can win a Nobel Prize. Marie Curie proved that despite everybody against her.

If it were just the same old "us/them" thing that's been with us since the first animal evolved the instinct to eat other animals but not eat its own kind, then there wouldn't be an apparent increase of it in this particular case. Nothing changing would mean nothing changing.

It's different in this case because young adults today are the first generation in a long time to be significantly materially worse off than their parents & grandparents. Inflation of the costs of most products and services has been multiple times as fast as inflation in incomes for decades, making incomes functionally a fraction of what they were, making everything in life much harder than it was before... which might not cause any particular level of generational strife by itself, but it's associated with other issues that can and do.

Older generations were running the show while it got this way (and still are while it continues to get worse right in front of their eyes) but now many of them blame the young for finding themselves in it and admitting what it is. The young have responded to this situation by taking seriously and applying the lessons about financial responsibility that older generations raised them on, and now get to hear the old saying that's somehow bad too because the young are somehow either obligated to waste money the way the old do/did or able (but refusing) to magically conjure more of it from nowhere. Not only have the young figured out for themselves that life isn't nearly as rosy as the old told them it would be, but, after realizing it for themselves and trying to explain to the old how unrealistic the expectations they were raised on turned out to be, they get to hear the old lecturing them about having unrealistic expectations. And they also get lectured about how there's really no problem at all, but that problem that doesn't exist does exist but is really impossibly their own fault (and they're handling it all wrong by foolishly refusing to do the mathematically impossible).

Notice that the phrase "OK, Boomer" is not used in just any context where any young adult and any old person ever interact anywhere at any time; it's a specific response to lectures from the old to the young that the young have heard countless times before, know perfectly well that they don't have much connection with the reality that they live in, and have responded to before and learned that the lecturers don't listen. It's not just "we hate you because you're not us"; it's "we've been through this whole pointless one-way lecture routine before, and we're tired of it".

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    It's different in this case because young adults today are the first generation in a long time to be significantly materially worse off than their parents & grandparents. Inflation of the costs of most products and services has been multiple times as fast as inflation in incomes for decades, making incomes functionally a fraction of what they were, making everything in life much harder than it was before... which might not cause any particular level of generational strife by itself, but it's associated with other issues that can and do. Older generations were running the show while it got this way (and still are while it continues to get worse right in front of their eyes) but now many of them blame the young for finding themselves in it and admitting what it is.
    It is true that the Millennials are doing badly with regard to income, but I think it is a trend that has been going on for some time, and has gotten worse. There was a significant period of growth since the Industrial Revolution, and each generation got progressively richer, and that leveled off around the 1970s as economic growth slowed in the industrialized world. And the number of children has continued to drop, meaning there is a larger burden from pensioners. And I think clearly some of the problem has been caused by myopic policies from older generations (for example, basic pension payments on predictions of economic growth that turned out to be inflated), but part of it is also structural. I'm sorry to be a bit pessimistic, but part of it is that we achieved new bursts of growth with new technologies, such as electricity and the automobile, but there hasn't been anything like that, and wage growth is slowing. Also, gaps between the rich and poor are growing in many places, and this negatively impacts young people.
    As above, so below

It is true that the Millennials are doing badly with regard to income, but I think it is a trend that has been going on for some time, and has gotten worse. There was a significant period of growth since the Industrial Revolution, and each generation got progressively richer, and that leveled off around the 1970s as economic growth slowed in the industrialized world. And the number of children has continued to drop, meaning there is a larger burden from pensioners. And I think clearly some of the problem has been caused by myopic policies from older generations (for example, basic pension payments on predictions of economic growth that turned out to be inflated), but part of it is also structural. I'm sorry to be a bit pessimistic, but part of it is that we achieved new bursts of growth with new technologies, such as electricity and the automobile, but there hasn't been anything like that, and wage growth is slowing. Also, gaps between the rich and poor are growing in many places, and this negatively impacts young people.
    Indeed. There is no real innovation that happened in a while and only that will save the economy.

This also explains my ruthlessness towards bringing something innovative to the table because Iím aware of this problem for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
    ...young adults today are the first generation in a long time to be significantly materially worse off than their parents & grandparents. Inflation of the costs of most products and services has been multiple times as fast as inflation in incomes for decades...
    Do you have a citation for that?
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    Sorry to interfere in the conversation but we donít always need citations when 1 + 1 = 2.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanF View Post
    There is something from the Federal Reserve, pertaining to people in the US of course.

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/30/67210...rents-fed-says

The actual paper is here:

https://www.federalreserve.gov/econr...2018080pap.pdf
    As above, so below

Also itís important to point out the media and Hollywood play an important role in influencing entire populations.

For some reason they also have their agenda and expect the Millennials to be different than older ones.

Political correctness tells us we can’t be divided by gender, race, etc.

But the reality is we all live in a different environment, therefore adapt and develop different strengths and weaknesses.

For example men are physically stronger than women because we were hunting, fighting, etc. for millions of years. Women are emotionally perfectionists and more communicative.

My general equation is:

Performance = DNA * Innate * Acquired * Willpower

The generational factor resides in “acquired” by what you learned and the environment that helped develop your brain. If you learned nothing then chances are you will accomplish nothing. Period.

But despite where you’re from or what gender you are, if you have enough willpower then you can win a Nobel Prize. Marie Curie proved that despite everybody against her.
    Overgeneralizing. And that's not how "political correctness" (previously known as common courtesy) works.
    "I'm planning to live forever. So far, that's working perfectly." Steven Wright

Sorry to interfere in the conversation but we donít always need citations when 1 + 1 = 2.
    This is true, but neither part of Delvo's claim - that this generation is "significantly" worse off, and that this is the first generation in a long time to be so - quite reach that level of self-evidence.

There is something from the Federal Reserve, pertaining to people in the US of course.

https://www.npr.org/2018/11/30/67210...rents-fed-says

The actual paper is here:

https://www.federalreserve.gov/econr...2018080pap.pdf
    Thanks, Jens.
    Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn

Quote Originally Posted by Noclevername View Post
    Overgeneralizing. And that's not how "political correctness" (previously known as common courtesy) works.
    For one thing, Marie Curie was a genius. Since a very small percentage of any population not deliberately chosen for it is made up of geniuses, saying such things as "Marie Curie proved anyone can win a Nobel Prize" is deliberately ignoring the evidence. For starters, of course, there's a known percentage of women who deserved Nobel Prizes and didn't get one because of the Nobel Committee's prejudices. There's all those women (and people from underprivileged backgrounds and so forth) who had even fewer opportunities than Curie; it's hard to fight for your place in school when your family forces you to marry at age fourteen and cuts off your schooling at age nine and so forth. But apparently to some people, the socialization factors aren't important and it's easier to blame things on evolution that are demonstrably not connected to evolution. And the reason I'm quoting you, Clev, is that "politically correctness" definitely is a boogieman term for "common courtesy." Because where I come from (the single most ethnically integrated part of LA County, it turns out), we call it rude to insult someone's communication skills because of their gender.

"Now everyone was giving her that kind of look UFOlogists get when they suddenly say, 'Hey, if you shade your eyes you can see it is just a flock of geese after all.'"

"You can't erase icing."

"I can't believe it doesn't work! I found it on the internet, man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gillianren View Post
    Because where I come from (the single most ethnically integrated part of LA County, it turns out), we call it rude to insult someone's communication skills because of their gender.
    I wasnít insulting anybody; I was boosting their superior abilities and it is a proven fact.

I wasn’t insulting anybody; I was boosting their superior abilities and it is a proven fact.
    https://stanmed.stanford.edu/2017spr...different.html

But despite where you’re from or what gender you are, if you have enough willpower then you can win a Nobel Prize. Marie Curie proved that despite everybody against her.
    I'm no expert, but I think it needs a little bit more than willpower.