Thread: permanent rigid "coat" to protect a refractor?

permanent rigid "coat" to protect a refractor?

in this phase of my life, I am so lucky to live in the countryside, with a flat roof where I can park permanently (and position correctly! S --> N) a medium-size refractor.

can I buy a rigid "house" for it - to leave it parked outdoors even during rain or moderate winds?

i thank you especially if you can tell me its precise name or the link to buy it...

You'll have to do your own research to find what suits you.

Start with Googling 'amateur or backyard observatories'.

First thing you'll have to consider is whether your roof is stable enough that simply shifting about doesn't set up vibrations under you that get transferred to the scope.
    You may already know that if you've been using your scope on your roof.

thank you! but my telescope has no wheels, just legs, like a tripod so I have to tinker with google shopping: plastic coat, house with wheels... children's play house with removable roof...

I tried "telescope shed" and just "wheeled shed" and got nothing useful. But you may be able to add wheels to a small shed.
    Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Sorry, what do wheels have to do with anything?

You certainly don't want your scope on wheels.

And an observatory that stays in place will serve a multitude of purposes while you're viewing: protection from wind and cold, but most especially blocking city glow.

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuchet
    I tried "telescope shed" and just "wheeled shed" and got nothing useful. But you may be able to add wheels to a small shed.
    I have 200m/300m high hills blocking midsize town lights (the town is 20km away)... :-D

I should be able myself to add wheels to a plastic cubic shed... when I observe, the scope stays still, and the plastic cubic housing walks sideway...

(I live in a wet swamp zone, much like Florida but cooler :-/)
    Last edited by Barabino; 2019-Nov-14 at 08:28 AM.