Thread: Inflation questions

Inflation questions

I thought 'inflation' was required to explain the 'horizon problem'.... were there any other initial theories (e.g. such as a faster speed of light in the past?) that were proposed/rejected before inflation was accepted as the current best scientific theory?
    Are there theories as to why it started and why it stopped when it did?

But..I have recently read that 'inflation' was proposed to explain the lack of detectable magnetic monopoles in the current universe... Is that correct? Could someone explain in simple terms how this theory works?

Many thanks in advance.
    "It's only a model....?" :-)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3dZl3yfGpc

Jumping in at a very deep end, here's a provactive blogpost by BackReAction's Sabine Hossenfelder:
    Is the inflationary universe a scientific theory? Not anymore.

I'm not sure what background understanding you bring to this question, but much of what's in the blogpost will likely require some explanation, so ask away!

Quote Originally Posted by plant View Post
    I thought 'inflation' was required to explain the 'horizon problem'.... were there any other initial theories (e.g. such as a faster speed of light in the past?) that were proposed/rejected before inflation was accepted as the current best scientific theory?
    Not that I know of. The horizon problem, the flatness problem, and the monopole problem were, AFAIK, simply unanswered questions before inflation.

Are there theories as to why it started and why it stopped when it did?
    Well, that's part of the theory of inflation - negative pressure, etc.

But..I have recently read that 'inflation' was proposed to explain the lack of detectable magnetic monopoles in the current universe... Is that correct?
    Yes, initially that was Guth's main objective in his investigations. He promptly realized his idea of inflation did a lot more than "explain" the lack of magnetic monopoles.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.